Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
fcorrales... He/she said north to SOUTH, not just north -- and GREATER Phoenix. From the San Tan Mountains up to the northern edge of the Valley is a LOT more than 40 miles. (If you are talking southeast to northwest, 100 miles is pretty close) East to West is more than 60, too, if you think of GREATER Phoenix.
Besides this being WAY off topic, you are very wrong. The furthest extend of Buckeye is stretching 30-35 miles from Phoenix City Hall in downtown. The other way to the east valley is also 35-40 miles from City Hall. 60 miles from East to West is the approximate "width" of the Valley. This is easily map quested or just looked up. Also, I was giving a distance comparison to driving to Flagstaff. It is not 90 miles from north to South.

Let's just exaggerate and say the North to South "extent" of the Valley stretches from just North of Anthem, 35 miles from downtown, to south of Casa Grande (NOT in the Valley but 38 miles from downtown) would be 73 miles. In reality, the Southern extent is at most 20 miles. Now southeast to northeast??? OK, and the city of Phoenix is 500 square miles, that doesn't really matter, get what I mean. Anyway, I hope the above information about trees helps. Are you sticking with the walnut tree HX?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 06:11 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times
No, I swapped for an Ash. See the story here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...as-must-3.html

Old 07-18-2009, 06:18 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
No, I swapped for an Ash. See the story here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...as-must-3.html
Very cool! I really like the look of the Ash, and it is MUCH more water friendly than the walnut.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 1,277 times
I am from the midwest and have been trying to locate a Black Walnut tree that is still dropping the fruit in its green hull. My grandmother used this for medicinal reasons that I know to be effective. Could anyone help PLEASE? it is very important. I live in North Phoenix and can come get them or any other collection options. Thank you

Desperate Robin

Old 08-28-2017, 09:21 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
OP, I'm just not %100 it was a walnut tree--by who's mistake, I don't know.

The leaves of both trees look somewhat similar (a compound leaf.) Pecan leaves are shiny. Pecan trees have been grown here for a long time and tolerate our heat.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:41 AM

164 posts, read 183,870 times
A pecan tree will make wonderful shade and attract the birds. They need deep water like crazy. Remember that the fruit doesn't come off the tree in bags shelled like Costco. I think that pecans can be used for anything that walnuts can except banana walnut bread although I think banana pecan bread would be fine. Your neighbors will gladly take some of your nuts, or peaches or citrus.

Last edited by Bird Street; 08-28-2017 at 09:54 AM..

Old 09-02-2017, 06:09 AM

3 posts, read 1,277 times
well thanks to all for immediate or lacksadasical response to my inquiries! I definitely know now why our Government is sooo bogged down, because people don't take time to be courteous and answer in a timely manner.I believe this is a city forum and like our government it's all about you all the public! Thanks I'll go on the hunt for myself. It's been enlightening!!! Have happy productive lives. LATER! BIN

Old 09-02-2017, 08:00 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Coulbourn View Post
well thanks to all for immediate or lacksadasical response to my inquiries! I definitely know now why our Government is sooo bogged down, because people don't take time to be courteous and answer in a timely manner.I believe this is a city forum and like our government it's all about you all the public! Thanks I'll go on the hunt for myself. It's been enlightening!!! Have happy productive lives. LATER! BIN
Your post is off topic from the OP. If you are looking for responses it's recommended you start a new thread. Not by adding on to one from 2009 talking about planting a walnut tree.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:28 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
Robin, my apologies if my answer was confusing. I hadn't noticed that the OP was from 2009, yet you were wanting fresh, green black walnuts--not asking about growing a walnut tree.

But in any case, I don't have a source for fresh, green black walnuts. If you still know someone in the midwest, it wouldn't be that difficult for a friend or relative there to mail you some green walnuts.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:31 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Coulbourn View Post
Let me get this straight. You post a relatively obscure question in an 8 year old thread and you get all pissy when nobody has an answer for you? And this explains your dissatisfaction with the government? Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area