Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:53 AM

137 posts, read 341,817 times

Advertisements

I'm all over the map at the moment, literally, as we get down to the stretch and pick a rental house for Aug 1st.

I'm going where the rentals are, and currently that includes Grayhawk, eastern Ahwatukee, 56th and Tatum/Bell area, and Desert Ridge.

All but Ahwatukee are close to our friend in Desert Ridge, which is a big plus, but Ahwatukee seems like it will be a little closer to the airport, where my wife will be working. Her office is right near the intersection of 143 and University Dr.

I'm guessing all these areas(including Ahwatukee) will be around 30 minutes during rush hour traffic, but I'm trying to figure out whether Ahwatukee has a significant edge during off peak hours. What I'm thinking of, is my wife having the ability to shoot home quickly during the day in case of a kids' emergency or a school event for one of the kids.

A house I'm looking at in the eastern part of Ahwatukee(E. Ray Rd and 33 St, just a little west of S. Mountain Parkway) is only 12 miles from the airport without traffic(18 minutes according to google maps), but is it unrealistic to think she'd be able to make it in that little time during the middle of the day?

I guess getting home from the airport to Ahwatukee could be quick, but heading back from Ahwatukee to the airport? Can that get ugly, even in the middle of the day? It wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:35 PM

977 posts, read 1,958,782 times
During midday traffic really isn't too bad. You can probably make the trip in about that time frame. I actually use 143 about 2-3pm quite often and it's usually pretty light. Sometimes backs up a little when it merges onto I-10 or 202, but nothing too bad.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:27 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
It's an easy trip either direction during non-rush hours, and it's just far fewer miles than the other options. If that's a concern, then to me, that is the deal-breaker (or deal-maker). You need to be living close to where one of you works. (In a pinch, you CAN get in and out of Ahwatukee without using the 10 at all)

Old 07-15-2009, 11:07 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It's an easy trip either direction during non-rush hours, and it's just far fewer miles than the other options. If that's a concern, then to me, that is the deal-breaker (or deal-maker). You need to be living close to where one of you works. (In a pinch, you CAN get in and out of Ahwatukee without using the 10 at all)
Ahwatukee is a nightmare to get in & out of ... regardless if you use a freeway or surface streets. I like the atmosphere of Ahwatukee, but I wouldn't live there at all based on the traffic/commute alone. The problem is that South Mountain shuts off Ahwatukee from most points northward, including Sky Harbor Int'l Airport and downtown ... so there are very few alternatives except the I10 or 48th Street for commuting. The OP should be prepared for bottlenecks regardless of the time of day.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Ahwatukee is a nightmare to get in & out of ... regardless if you use a freeway or surface streets. I like the atmosphere of Ahwatukee, but I wouldn't live there at all based on the traffic/commute alone. The problem is that South Mountain shuts off Ahwatukee from most points northward, including Sky Harbor Int'l Airport and downtown ... so there are very few alternatives except the I10 or 48th Street for commuting. The OP should be prepared for bottlenecks regardless of the time of day.
Sorry, but it does NOT bottleneck all day long. I've been in and out of Tempe along the 10 in the middle of the day hours, and it's not a problem. If the commute is only to the airport, and good schools are such a primary concern, then it's a much better choice than Desert Ridge, 56th and Bell, or Grayhawk, which are the other options.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:45 AM

725 posts, read 2,324,403 times
It's the same ol' story. Traffic is no piece of cake around here during Peak times.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:16 PM

137 posts, read 341,817 times
homlish56, what roads are those in the pics? Do you remember approximately what time it was?

Old 07-22-2009, 01:22 PM

The first picture is DOWNTOWN Phoenix. The second one looks also like I-10, central Phoenix. Nowhere near the area you asked about in the title of this thread.

You can get snapshots of heavy traffic in LOTS of locations around the Valley during peak driving hours (and that includes other stretches of I10 and the other freeways). It's a big spread out city, with lots of commuters. Fact of life.

That's why the most common advice here is to live relatively close to where you work, so the commute doesn't get old fast (and, as you mentioned elsewhere, so that your wife can get home quickly during the day if there is an issue with one of the kids).

Old 07-22-2009, 01:32 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,770,382 times
If you want to see the freeways at rush hour here are the realtime freeways cams

ADOT Freeway Management System (http://www.az511.com/CameraImages/index.php - broken link)

Old 07-22-2009, 02:21 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,714,403 times
Do you know what hours she will be working?

Morning rush hour starts at 7:30 a.m. and lasts until about 9:30 a.m. From 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. traffic is light and its quite easy to get around. Evening rush hour starts about 4:00 p.m. and lasts until around 6:00 p.m. If you can avoid those hours you'll have an easy commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area