Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 PM

181 posts, read 697,102 times

Advertisements

Want to take kids to an orchard. I can't find out where it. Can you recommend one? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
In Queen Creek:

Schnepf Farms Queen Creek Arizona, Arizona Family Farms, Arizona Pick-Your-Own Farms, Arizona entertainment farms, Arizona agritourism, Arizona agri-tourism, Arizona festivals, Arizona events, Country Thunder USA, Schnepf Farms Queen Creek Arizona, P

They have a peach festival and other events out there. Probably not much happening out there now, in the heat, but give them a call.

There used to be lots of orchards out that way, but they've given way to houses. Of course, there still are some citrus orchards, but even those are shrinking.

There's Apple Annie's and other apple places in Willcox, but that's a little further than 2 hours.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Try Shnepf Farms in Queen Creek. I am pretty sure that the best time to go down there would be in late September-November, when there is more available to be picked and it is cooler.

Also, there is Agua Linda Farm in Amado, between Tucson and Nogales. About a 2.5 hour drive from the Valley. They have good pumpkin patches for October.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:46 PM

181 posts, read 697,102 times
How many hours it takes to drive to wilcox from Phoenix? Thank you.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:59 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
There used to be orchards below Bethany Home in central Phoenix and all points east and west, clear up until 1970's. I remember farms beginning at Osborn and Central.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthinker View Post
How many hours it takes to drive to wilcox from Phoenix? Thank you.
Google maps says just under 3 hours from central Phx in no traffic. It's a ways beyond Tucson, just off I-10, so it's a mostly freeway drive.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:52 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Google maps says just under 3 hours from central Phx in no traffic. It's a ways beyond Tucson, just off I-10, so it's a mostly freeway drive.

I'd say it's closer to 4 hours, plus alot of it is beehind ugly. Takes us 3 hours to drive to Phoenix frrom Sierra Vista, that includes 27 miles from interstate to SV proper. Not counting that, it takes a good hour to see Wilcox from the turnoff for SV. Going this time of year, take water. Gets hot as Phoenix down that way. But.....
If you do go, hit Apple Annies...and do not leave without a piece of pie ala mode, plus a loaf of apple bread. Sacriledge if you don't eat and buy some.
There's vineyards in Sonoita, southeast of Tucson, plus you can go to Patagonia, probably the closest to a little midwestern town you'll find in Arizona. Good food at the little family run coffee shop/cafe south side of town. From Sonoita you can drive to Parker Lake or Patagonia Lake, just a nice change from the desert. If you hit Sonoita and the vineyards, continue on thru the west entrance into Fort Huachuca, beautiful drive, lots of history as you drive thru the old part of the fort(where I'm sittin' right now). Make sure everyone over 18 has a picture i.d., current insurance card on the vehicle and current registration. No biggie.
Outside Sierra Vista towards the border in Palominas(a wide spot in the road), is a pick it yourself minifarm, seasonal. Head towards Prescott and Chino Valley, you used to find some roadside stands with produce.
Slim pickin's compared to the midwest, eh?
and btw...I know it's way more than a 2 hour drive, but this part of the state is seldom seen by most Phoenicians, not even aware it's here. Beautiful area, 5,000 ft elevation before you hit the mountains. And if you're really greenthinking....

Old 07-30-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
I'd say it's closer to 4 hours, plus alot of it is beehind ugly. If you do go, hit Apple Annies...and do not leave without a piece of pie ala mode, plus a loaf of apple bread. Sacriledge if you don't eat and buy some.
There's vineyards in Sonoita, southeast of Tucson, plus you can go to Patagonia, probably the closest to a little midwestern town you'll find in Arizona. Good food at the little family run coffee shop/cafe south side of town. Outside Sierra Vista towards the border in Palominas(a wide spot in the road), is a pick it yourself minifarm, seasonal. Head towards Prescott and Chino Valley, you used to find some roadside stands with produce.
Slim pickin's.
Well, it's 197 miles from downtown. It would be a better trip, with less traffic, on a weekend. It was Apple Annies that was suggested to the OP there already.

BTW, The OP is looking for an ORCHARD, not a vineyard or a roadside fruit stand. No, the drive to Tucson isn't very scenic, but that wasn't part of the criteria either.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:04 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, it's 197 miles from downtown. It would be a better trip, with less traffic, on a weekend. It was Apple Annies that was suggested to the OP there already.

BTW, The OP is looking for an ORCHARD, not a vineyard or a roadside fruit stand. No, the drive to Tucson isn't very scenic, but that wasn't part of the criteria either.

details, details, details. and it's 225 miles from Sierra Vista to 7th street and the freeway McDonalds in Phx. Done it a bunch of times, multiple vehicles. So that's 197 miles from the turnoff to SV at the I-10 by Benson,Wilcox is another 45-60 minutes beyond there.
Not that I'm counting.
I got a belly button too ob53

Old 07-30-2009, 04:08 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
"How many hours it takes to drive to wilcox from Phoenix? Thank you."

It all depends on where in Phoenix you are coming from, and what time of day you are traveling. From central Phoenix with light traffic, it is about three to three and a half hours, depending on how fast or slow you drive.

"Takes us 3 hours to drive to Phoenix frrom Sierra Vista, that includes 27 miles from interstate to SV proper. Not counting that, it takes a good hour to see Wilcox from the turnoff for SV."

No, it doesn't. From Benson to Wilcox is 30-35 minutes (through the scenic Dragoon Mountains, btw).
Also, Apple Annies has some great pies!

Just as a side note, drb85650 is correct, Sanoita and Patagonia are great places to visit. Very scenic and full of history. Don't forget to stop by Velvet Elvis Pizza for lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area