Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:40 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times

Advertisements

Phoenix and federal authorities detained two Middle Eastern men accused by a passenger of acting suspiciously aboard a Phoenix-bound plane Saturday evening.

An investigation by the FBI found no evidence of a terroristic threat and the men were later released without charges.

2 detained at Sky Harbor released without charges

The system worked

Old 12-28-2009, 09:43 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
This is the same sort of overreaction to what's really normal behavior we saw for a long time after 9/11. I don't know for sure, but I suspect if that Orlando flight had happened before the Amsterdam/Detroit flight, there would have been no issue.

I'm flying Orlando to Phoenix tomorrow. Oh, joy.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:58 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
I'd be pretty suspicious, too, if I'd been on that flight (regardless of the Detroit attempted terrorist attack).
While it doesn't state it in the article, "sources" say that F16's from D-M AFB were on alert to launch. It was taken pretty seriously.
One thing I can say: if you're middle-eastern (or look middle-eastern) and are flying, don't watch movies with suicide bombers, please pay attemtion to the fasten-seatbelt sign, and don't speak loudly as if you're excited about something. Follow those three rules and you won't be detained.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:06 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I'd be pretty suspicious, too, if I'd been on that flight (regardless of the Detroit attempted terrorist attack).
While it doesn't state it in the article, "sources" say that F16's from D-M AFB were on alert to launch. It was taken pretty seriously.
One thing I can say: if you're middle-eastern (or look middle-eastern) and are flying, don't watch movies with suicide bombers, please pay attemtion to the fasten-seatbelt sign, and don't speak loudly as if you're excited about something. Follow those three rules and you won't be detained.
Well, in the heightened paranoia, probably anyone watching that movie and acting excited would have drawn attention. And, people of all ethnic backgrounds get out of their seats with the light on all the time.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:00 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
"And, people of all ethnic backgrounds get out of their seats with the light on all the time."

I don't fly often, so I'm probably not the best "witness" for this, but every time I have flown, I've not noticed anyone get up with the fasten-seatlbelt sign on.

"Well, in the heightened paranoia"

If not for "heightened paranoia" there might have been over 200 passengers dead, failing to make their Detroit destination. If someone is acting suspicious, others have every right to question that, and be "paranoid"--it just might save their life.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:15 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
I agree.

In December of 2001 I was going to fly home for Christmas and I noticed that there were 3 or 4 Middle Easterners on my flight. I think a handful of passengers including myself asked to be transferred to a different flight.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:42 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Phoenix and federal authorities detained two Middle Eastern men accused by a passenger of acting suspiciously aboard a Phoenix-bound plane Saturday evening.

An investigation by the FBI found no evidence of a terroristic threat and the men were later released without charges.

The system worked
FEAR NOT, Janet is in charge!

If she handles Homeland Security as well as she handled our Southern Border . . . we are all DOOMED!

Has anyone else noticed how she has been DANCING and SPINNING the issues this past weekend?

Old 12-28-2009, 05:57 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Here's something for the airlines to chew on:

Don't show movies with suicide bombers in them on their flights. Who needs to see that, the innocent, law-abiding passengers who will be scared to death by it or the would-be terrorists who would possibly be incited by it?

Just a thought...duh!!!

Old 12-28-2009, 06:04 PM

845 posts, read 2,327,631 times
I saw some women wearing veils today on the Light Rail, and hoped they weren't on a mission of martrydom. They got a prayer room for them at Suvarnabhumi International.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:31 PM

259 posts, read 705,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Here's something for the airlines to chew on:

Don't show movies with suicide bombers in them on their flights. Who needs to see that, the innocent, law-abiding passengers who will be scared to death by it or the would-be terrorists who would possibly be incited by it?

Just a thought...duh!!!
So than what your saying is, we should all act like Muslim terrorists simply don't exist ?

And while were at it why don't we eliminate freedom of speech & press.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area