Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 04:07 PM

65 posts, read 478,985 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys, haven't been on in a while. Anyway, thank you for all your help in the past. As some of you might remember awhile back I was very happy to report that we bought a second home in Arizona, namely up in the development Vistancia and we could not be more happy. Well, we thought of keeping both our homes when we bought this one and using it about 6 months out of the year as we are wedding photographers and when it is cold and slow here, it is nice and warm there. Well anyway, over the last few months and a vacation to Italy, we have been starting to think about opening up a "Gelato" place in Arizona and foregoing our "two homes" for the one in Arizona and giving up the photography business as well. We've thought about doing something like this before in the late 80's but the kids were small and all in school and so on. I think now would be a good time to transition and if we have to start up a new business anyway, whether it be in photography or in something new, we thought maybe this would be a good thing to try. It is healthy as in lower fat, and the climate is good for that type of thing. Anyway, just throwing it out there, any opinions on this???? Thanks a bunch for your help in advance. Also, not sure if we do it, whether to open it up in our area where there aren't a lot of services for the people who are moving there or is it better to be in the hub bub of like say, Scottsdale where you are one in a million but have a lot of foot traffic. Again, any ideas will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 07:05 PM

Come on, no one, has any yays or nays or words of advice/opinions?????????????

Old 04-29-2007, 10:46 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
I thought about it and I have no idea if Gelato would sell enough to cover rent. Commercial rent is very high out here, much more in nice areas. I know several retail business owners and they either don't cover their rent or don't make a profit. I know of one gelato place at 40th st and Greenway in northeast phoenix. It's called "The Gelato Spot". I think the name is cool It would go great next door to The Pink Taco (is that in scottsdale or tempe?). hahaha In a good area, expect to pay a min of $3000 and up to $4000/month for rent for 1000sf space.

Anyway, there are lots of businesses for sale if you want to go that route. My best friend is even selling her plus sized clothing outlet store. She profited after the first month of opening. She's had it over a year now and is just sick of it, very boring for her. It could be a big store with the right marketing. She has such great clientele, but she doesn't do a lot of advertising, some, not much. She could easily expand if she could put some more money into and energy as well.

The photography business sounds interesting. We have so many upscale wedding venues here in the valley. You may be able to do that with very little money and profit bigger and be more independent. I have a friend who is teaming with one of her friends to start a wedding planning business. I think she will do great at it. She is getting her list of preferred vendors together as we speak.

Overall, I say go with what you really want to do. Wherever your passion is! You can succeed at whatever you decide to do.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:01 AM

Thanks Sablebaby for your advice and help. I will have to check out the Gelato Spot while I am out there. Had no idea what commercial rents go for in the area. We are in the very beginning stages of thinking of this. We have a very successful photography business here in New York and as I said, we were thinking of bringing that out there as well, but it is not my passion. My husband was the photographer and then trained me and we have both did it for the last 15 years, but I would like to try something different. Problem is that they do take much more of an investment to start and the other, we know already about. But I always think food is a great cheap thing that everyone likes. I mean look at the phenom of Cold Stone and places like that. Gelato is more health conscious and all being less fat. So who knows..........

Old 04-30-2007, 10:12 AM

132 posts, read 517,206 times
There is also a Gelato Spot opening on Mill in Tempe and I think there is already one in Scottsdale. I think you should open one in downtown Phoenix. There is enough foot traffic during the work hours that you could probaby do really well. Maybe near the ballparks, probably bring in some money just being open before a summer game! I dunno, maybe you should look into it.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:06 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj81 View Post
There is also a Gelato Spot opening on Mill in Tempe and I think there is already one in Scottsdale. I think you should open one in downtown Phoenix. There is enough foot traffic during the work hours that you could probaby do really well. Maybe near the ballparks, probably bring in some money just being open before a summer game! I dunno, maybe you should look into it.
That sounds like a good idea. Somewhere there are a lot of office buildings nearby. But commuting from Vistancia would be a trip!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:31 PM

Yeah, commuting would be a killer, I'm hearing ya, LOL............and thanks so much for your help and advice. I'm taking it that you both mentioned "Gelato Spot" so that is a franchise? Am I correct in assuming that? I just thought because of the heat and all, and that they are healthy and have much less fat than ice cream, that it might be a good thing to open. But I had no idea that the rents on retail spaces even small ones, was so steep, gosh. Well it is on the back burner, we probably will do our photography anyway to pay the bills for the time being, and my guess is we will probably move there full time once the house is done and we go out. I used to get so depressed when I left I wanted to cry for like weeks. I just wanted to be there. I am so jealous of all you who live there now. I feel so happy when I am there. Now, of course, we are on vacation when we are there, but friends of us who felt that way too and moved, said it was the best decision they made. I think everyone on this earth has a place which is like their own little slice of "heaven" and for me, that would be the Valley of the Sun! So whatever we choose to do, it has to be better doing it there. Anyway, thanks again, Sablebaby and Cj81.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area