Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 01:38 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Duct cleaning is a scam.
Yup, it's not needed here. Just replace your filter, and get someone to come check out your A/C for performance/leaks/issues, shouldn't cost more than $100 to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 08:01 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
We used Sierra, now called At Ease Air conditioning and they were good. We did get the ducts cleaned and we followed the kid around for an hour watching him. The cigarette smoke was not as nasty coming out of the vents. Up to you, may be it is not necessary and you can just have it oiled and polished.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 AM

101 posts, read 314,370 times
I have yet to find a honest HVAC Contractor . In July I had a new AC unit installed, it was a home warranty deal , The techs did a great job the problem is the company that did the install incorrectly charged me portion on covered cost and I have been trying since then to get my refund. I am now to the point I am going to file a complaint against the contractor and also take them to court for the money. I have asked the warranty company to help they have told the contractor to please make payment, they have still not made it . So I told them I would not be renewing my warranty .

Old 09-12-2009, 11:42 AM

713 posts, read 1,461,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Yup, it's not needed here. Just replace your filter, and get someone to come check out your A/C for performance/leaks/issues, shouldn't cost more than $100 to check it out.
it really depends. a system that was using the very cheap filters for 10 years might actually need some duct cleaning. over time the dirt can peel and chunk off into the air stream.

if it is of concern i would at least have someone stick a flexi-camera in some ducts to see how dirty they are, then decide from there is cleaning is required. a good hvac company would do this.

i am using middle of the line filters and every 90 days they are rather dirty. i might go back to 60 day intervals. the better filters make the fan run less efficient due to their restriction on the air flow, but they do filter better. for someone who has is sensitive to dust (allergens) i would use the better filters.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:47 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home_Kid View Post
it really depends. a system that was using the very cheap filters for 10 years might actually need some duct cleaning. over time the dirt can peel and chunk off into the air stream.

if it is of concern i would at least have someone stick a flexi-camera in some ducts to see how dirty they are, then decide from there is cleaning is required. a good hvac company would do this.

i am using middle of the line filters and every 90 days they are rather dirty. i might go back to 60 day intervals. the better filters make the fan run less efficient due to their restriction on the air flow, but they do filter better. for someone who has is sensitive to dust (allergens) i would use the better filters.
My MIL in Sun City bought a house that has an electronic whole house filter built into the air return (just above the grate). I don't know how restrictive that is but I bet it does a much better job than the replaceable filters do. One can also get HEPA room filters and again, that is probably a better way to achieve the allergen reduction.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:51 AM

713 posts, read 1,461,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
My MIL in Sun City bought a house that has an electronic whole house filter built into the air return (just above the grate). I don't know how restrictive that is but I bet it does a much better job than the replaceable filters do. One can also get HEPA room filters and again, that is probably a better way to achieve the allergen reduction.
its hard for a single room device to filter the air of a 2700+ sq.ft. home. allowing the hvac system to filter makes it easier. but yes, using other devices to supplement the hvac is good, but probably will cost some more.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:13 PM

27 posts, read 60,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
We've had a/c in our first house for 25 yrs and never cleaned the ducts whether we ran the furnace or the a/c. We've been in our present home 17 yrs and have had a/c here also. Never cleaned the ducts.
. . . And with an a/c I don't think you have to worry about mold since it removes humidity from the house as it runs.
Sheesh, this guy was telling me that he'd come back every year to clean the ducts for ONLY $110 if I did his $1500 job first. Boy am I glad I didn't fall for that.

Thank you, everyone, for your information and referrals. I'm glad to know that the maintenance on the a/c units shouldn't be difficult or expensive at all.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:30 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,073 times
I replace my bottom of the line filter every 2-3 weeks at my apartment, if I wait any longer it makes the coil freeze over.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 AM

223 posts, read 596,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildevil01 View Post
I have yet to find a honest HVAC Contractor . In July I had a new AC unit installed, it was a home warranty deal , The techs did a great job the problem is the company that did the install incorrectly charged me portion on covered cost and I have been trying since then to get my refund. I am now to the point I am going to file a complaint against the contractor and also take them to court for the money. I have asked the warranty company to help they have told the contractor to please make payment, they have still not made it . So I told them I would not be renewing my warranty .
Would you care to tell us (or me, via PM) who the company was? I've just bought a place, and the a/c unit is not working properly so I'm going down the path of filing a claim.

Regarding mold/etc - I realize the a/c's job is to dry out the air (or at least ... a side effect!) but the coil does condense out some water, and that can fall into the air return system; could that be where the 'mold' issue is a potential issue? In my current apartment, there is a bucket placed under the unit, inside the air return cavity, and when I changed my filter last time the filter was wet and had water stains on it - probably all signs of a badly adjusted unit, of course! I'm moving out next month so of only academic interest at this point!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:58 PM

22 posts, read 65,791 times
Call Paul Rideout at Rideout AC. Family-owned, no b.s. Our family has used him for years, and he is very fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area