Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:07 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,209 times

Advertisements

Ok...now I feel a little guilty because I didn't realize until I came here that this was a historical building, and that it will remain an empty lot for a long time, adding to urban blight and all that is wrong!

But judging by the crowds in this part of town this morning(I live about a mile from the building) it seems I am not alone in enjoying the naughty pleasure of seeing things implode. Does this make me a bad person?! Or just primitive?

There's something so satisfying about it, as long as no one gets hurt. Cheap entertainment, Phoenix-style. Perhaps this should be done more frequently, but with abandoned, hopeless foreclosed homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 02:14 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
Ok...now I feel a little guilty because I didn't realize until I came here that this was a historical building, and that it will remain an empty lot for a long time, adding to urban blight and all that is wrong!

But judging by the crowds in this part of town this morning(I live about a mile from the building) it seems I am not alone in enjoying the naughty pleasure of seeing things implode. Does this make me a bad person?! Or just primitive?

There's something so satisfying about it, as long as no one gets hurt. Cheap entertainment, Phoenix-style. Perhaps this should be done more frequently, but with abandoned, hopeless foreclosed homes?
I too guess it could be a bit of "history gone" but it really wasn't that important or impressive. I think if Beadle had actually designed the International Style building with more gusto and pizzazz the building would still be occupied and standing. It really just looked like a rectangular piece of glass and was ugly even in its heyday. It surely shouldn't be compared to the Lurhs buildings, the Heard Building, Westward Ho Hotel, Orpheum Lofts, 411 Building, etc etc.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:06 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post

Blowing up McMansions in especially historic enclaves (after salvaging as much stuff as possible from them first) would be my guilty pleasure

Old 09-27-2009, 03:20 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Today...it was at 10 A.M. Streets were closed and huge groups of on lookers gathered. You'd think there was a parade.

Crews finish explosive downtown Phoenix demolition - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com

You can see the implosion here; it will be showcased on a TLC show!
Shoot, I'm out of town and missed it.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:28 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
There are some things that should be cleared up. First of all, the building was more of a MIDrise than a highrise. It was only 10 stories ... not exactly a structure fitting what I would consider a true highrise. However, it looked a little taller from the street level. Second, the location isn't in downtown Phoenix ... it's north central (3rd Street & Earll).

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Completely agree. This building was designed by Al Beadle, a recognized local architect. It has historic value and could be perfectly functional with renovations. If a new development actually replaces the mid-rise being demolished, I might view the transaction as an acceptable tradeoff. Nevertheless, given the economic climate the unfortunate track record of demolitions in Central Phoenix, it would not be surprising if this land remains vacant for a decade for more. If that occurs, we've all lost a bit of our city.
That's one thing that really bugs me. It would be all right if something better is constructed on the site soon after ... but chances are, it will be another ugly vacant lot. After all, the news websites are saying very little (if anything) about what will be erected in its place. Then if & when something is planned of any vertical substance, chances are there will be the the pathetic NIMBY crowd wetting their diapers over it.

If the old building had historical value, where were all the so called "preservationists" when this building was being gutted and ready for demolition? It seems they would rather protest the demolition or altercation of a dilapidated single story structure than anything of height. But that's a NIMBY for you!

Last edited by Valley Native; 09-27-2009 at 11:01 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 01:04 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
On the front page at azcentral, the subheading says that the demoliition is "making way for a retirement complex" -- however, if you click on the story, it says nothing about any plans to build anything. Typical of the sloppy news writing on that site. So, it's hard to know what the plans for the land are.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
There are some things that should be cleared up. First of all, the building was more of a MIDrise than a highrise. It was only 10 stories ... not exactly a structure fitting what I would consider a true highrise. However, it looked a little taller from the street level. Second, the location isn't in downtown Phoenix ... it's north central (3rd Street & Earll).

That's one thing that really bugs me. It would be all right if something better is constructed on the site soon after ... but chances are, it will be another ugly vacant lot. After all, the news websites are saying very little (if anything) about what will be erected in its place. Then if & when something is planned of any vertical substance, chances are there will be the the pathetic NIMBY crowd wetting their diapers over it.

If the old building had historical value, where were all the so called "preservationists" when this building was being gutted and ready for demolition? It seems they would rather protest the demolition or altercation of a dilapidated single story structure than anything of height. But that's a NIMBY for you!
Speaking for just myself: I was not aware that the old Qwest building was out of service let alone going to be imploded till just a few days ago.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:40 AM

239 posts, read 642,175 times
Kind of like their stock price. Good riddance.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:41 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunespinoza View Post
Kind of like their stock price. Good riddance.
LOL, however the NEW Qwest tower IS a high-rise in midtown. As for the old Qwest Tower that actually is in midtown Valley Native. Uptown starts north of Indianola/Clarendon...If you are at the Camelback and Central light rail station you are at the Uptown station, if you are at Osborn and Central you are at the Midtown station. This area has been called Midtown since the 40's and north of that was "north" Phoenix, LOL!

As for the NIMBY aspect, those folks do not reside nor protest high-rises in Downtown, Midtown, nor Uptown. The W Hotel high-rise was the only exception because an old Chinese building would have been "destroyed." In reality the old Chinese building was going to serve as the lobby and ground level of the hotel, reinforced, and the hotel was to be built over the historic structure. I personally believe it would have been a great project as the building is no longer being used.

As an example the planned, 3 tower project slated for Central and McDowell was given unanimous support by the Village Planning Committee (Encanto) and by the Willo and Roosevelt neighborhood associations and historic committees. There is a different mindset with people living near the Central corridor and those in the Biltmore/Esplanade/Camelback areas.

I too am interested in learning what is planned for the area. There were earlier stories and "rumors" of mix used condo, hotel, and some type of "exclusive" retirement condos but that is all hearsay.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:42 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Hi Valley Native, from what I've seen on other websites, and if I remember correctly it was an article from 2007, the developer was planning on building 2 towers, the first phase was going to be a 16-story condo "building", or mid-rise, which is the appropriate title for such a building. They also mentioned another "tower" in the second phase, but nothing specific was mentioned about it.

Again, this was around the middle of 2007, but with the state of the economy right now, it's probably going to be a vacant lot for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area