Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 12:36 AM

162 posts, read 383,813 times

Advertisements

What should we expect to pay for the HOA fees? I heard anywhere from $50-$300 a month?

Are there any places that do not have HOA or is that rare? I know some houses are like this but not sure about condos.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 02:37 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I think they are all different and charge different amounts depending on the ammenities, like a pool, walking trails, gyms things like that. I know we pay $160 + - for our town home in north Phoenix, but that included water and trash. There is no pool.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:54 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
I pay $139/mo. for my HOA dues. It includes water, trash, pool & hot tub maintenance, landscaping, outside pest control, and a blanket insurance policy. I live in a townhome community in southeast Mesa. When I was house hunting, I found no places that did not have an HOA, but I know they exist. As much as I hate my HOA and paying those ridiculious fees, it really makes the neighborhood a better place to live.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:33 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensimilla View Post
What should we expect to pay for the HOA fees? I heard anywhere from $50-$300 a month?

Are there any places that do not have HOA or is that rare? I know some houses are like this but not sure about condos.
Another one of those Apples vs Oranges comparison, Sensimilla.

Some HOAs cover everything but phone and electric and offer lots of amenities while other cover much less.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:48 PM

284 posts, read 700,501 times
There are nice areas where there is no HOA. In Tempe, the area west of McClintock from Guadalupe to Southshore does not have an HOA, however there are not as many homes for sale as in other areas. The area across McClintock north of Guadalupe does not have an HOA, and I don't believe the area south of Guadalupe between McClintock and Elliott has an HOA. The nicest area without an HOA is south of Elliott and east of McClintock near the ASU research park.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensimilla View Post

I doubt you will find any condos or townhouses without an HOA fee. They have to at least cover the common area maintenance costs, structure insurance, etc. There are single family homes in areas with no HOA.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:34 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
I would never consider buying a townhouse or condo that did not have a viable HOA. I've seen such - no fun needing a roof replaced but the neighbor with the attached roof refuses to do anything.

To ask how much HOA fees are is like asking, "How much does a house cost?" or "How much should I pay for a car?" ... Impossible to answer without a few details i.e. Is the house in Colby, Kansas or Washington DC? Is the house a 2 bedroom, 800 sf or a 6 bed 7 bath, 8,000 sf? Is the car a 10 year old Buick or a new Rolls with less than 1,000 miles?

You will have to evaluate your purchase before you make it. What does the HOA include - pool, grounds, etc.? Are the reserves well funded?

Old 11-12-2009, 11:34 PM

77 posts, read 276,360 times
As far as HOA fees, does anyone who lives in Vistancia know why the people who purchased the Trend townhomes on the other side of Ridgeline, have to pay the EXTRA HOA fee now that Trend has stopped building there? It looks like crap over there, and I have heard residents complain that they could not even use the pool because it was filthy, the weeds are overgrown, and they were told that they are only having the grassy areas watered enough so it does not die all together. Do the residents there have any recourse?

Old 11-13-2009, 04:19 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianR View Post
There are nice areas where there is no HOA. In Tempe, the area west of McClintock from Guadalupe to Southshore does not have an HOA, however there are not as many homes for sale as in other areas. The area across McClintock north of Guadalupe does not have an HOA, and I don't believe the area south of Guadalupe between McClintock and Elliott has an HOA. The nicest area without an HOA is south of Elliott and east of McClintock near the ASU research park.
You must live in my neighborhood, or know it well. However, the "townhouses" in the areas you describe DO have HOAs. Only the single family homes do not.

With townhouses and condos, there's essentially always an HOA. And, the costs vary widely depending on what the dues include, as has been stated.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:17 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keehome View Post
As far as HOA fees, does anyone who lives in Vistancia know why the people who purchased the Trend townhomes on the other side of Ridgeline, have to pay the EXTRA HOA fee now that Trend has stopped building there? It looks like crap over there, and I have heard residents complain that they could not even use the pool because it was filthy, the weeds are overgrown, and they were told that they are only having the grassy areas watered enough so it does not die all together. Do the residents there have any recourse?
Absolutely, Keehome . . .

Simple solution . . . GET INVOLVED! Attend the HOA Meetings! Volunteer! Become a Member or an Officer of the Board!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area