Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:41 PM

23 posts, read 46,401 times

Advertisements

My first post here, thanks for the very informative forum!

My wife and I are making an offer on a bank owned home in the San Tan Heights area of Queen Creek to live in for 5 months a year during the winter months, and leaving it vacant for the remaining 7 months. We have no desire to rent or vacation rent the property during those months, and will take the usual precautions with secure locks and a monitored alarm system. We’ve spent a week looking at the various developments in QC and chose this area for its proximity to the mountains and overall pleasant feel.

The initial excitement and information overload of the last week has now worn off and we’re back to reality, with a very nagging doubt about the 7 months we’re not there. Even with a nice neighbor who says she’ll keep an eye on our place, we’re still worried the criminal types will quickly determine it’s a seasonal residence. Not too concerned about illegals or meth labs, as that would be fairly obvious to the neighbors and HOA. And not that worried our stuff will get stolen because I plan to secure the garage doors to make a vault to put everything into. It’s just the idea that someone will break a window or kick the door in for whatever reason criminals do that kind of thing. To add to the concern, we discovered the STH HOA web site that lists all police activity, and found 7 or 8 incidents within 1 mile of the house last week alone, mostly related to break/enters/suspicious people, including a vehicle theft about 4 houses down the street!

So, we’re asking for opinions, is the 7 month vacancy asking for trouble? Has anyone else been in a similar situation without problems? We discussed how many burglary or vandalism incidents we could accept, and thought that after the 3rd, we’re outta there. We love the Phoenix area and will definitely be spending our winters there, but at the $9-10K a year owning this house will cost, we could rent a furnished home for 4 – 5 months without any of the worries. Any opinions greatly appreciated – Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 01:10 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,525,380 times
Just my opinion based on your post,

If your ever planning on staying full time later, yes then buy if not
I'd rent.

I look after quite a few snowbird houses during the summer and there
are many things you can do to detour the naughty people and you'll
have to do a bit more thinking if you buy, like who's doing the upkeep
on the yard and such plus when you do come back do you want to spend
alot of time getting the place back in shape or out having fun

Welcome to the forum

Old 10-18-2009, 01:36 PM

7 posts, read 22,514 times
Be careful of ground fissures in San Tan heights, I've seen back yards there with gaping holes in the ground with all sorts of fissures. Make sure you check it out with an inspector for that specific thing before you buy.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:45 PM

7 posts, read 22,514 times
Be careful there, if it's san tan heights development, take the police reports to heart. There's a lot of nite time activity, people milling about the streets after dark in certain areas, lots of renters, walk the streets after dark in different areas to get the feel of the place. Unoccupied homes are easy to tell.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:41 PM

682 posts, read 2,567,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-K View Post
i
we could rent a furnished home for 4 – 5 months without any of the worries. Any opinions greatly appreciated – Thanks!
This is the best advice that you could give yourself. There are plenty of places to rent for a few months and then you have no worries about your home sitting vacant.

altus2006

Old 10-19-2009, 02:15 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,919 times
I don't know the area, I don't know if I will be of any help; but my house in Texas is vacant right now. My neighbor keeps watch over it for me. It has been 6 months so far, without a single incident. He keeps his boat and one of the cars he drives in my driveway. Mow's and water's my grass for me. It looks like someone lives there. I also have a security alarm installed.
The area I live in is 5 miles from the bad part of town, and 3 miles from the gate to get on post. (Army town.) There is also a police officer who lives down the road, and he patrols the area pretty vigilantly.

If you are questioning yourself about getting the place now, what are you going to be doing come July. Every July.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:29 PM

203 posts, read 491,514 times
You're not buying a winter home in the Phoenix area; you're buying a winter home in Queen Creek which is about as far from Phoenix as one can possibly get and ground zero for foreclosures and blight.....which is all not to say that Queen Creek will one day be booming again but for now it is what it is.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:12 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,343,550 times
Skywayy -

Thanks for the dramatics! As far as one can POSSIBLY get? Ground zero for Blight? Trust me, I could find MANY more blighted areas in Phoenix proper than QC (or Santan Valley as the Pinal portion is now called) is even approaching.

Are there lots of foreclosures - absolutely. Are they being bought up, fixed up, and rented or resold? Yep. COULD that mean some lowering of the income levels etc moving into the neighborhood? Yep. Does that mean murder and mayhem are on the horizon in QC and environs. Hardly.

Matter of fact I cant think of the last murder I heard about in that area. Not saying they havent had any (like anywhere), but I dont see the news posting a van in QC to report rampant blight and criminal activity.

I have no problem with people having a viewpoint as to pros/cons of any given area to buy and/or live, but please, lets stop with the hyperbole if we can.

Sheesh.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:58 PM

294 posts, read 990,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
This is the best advice that you could give yourself. There are plenty of places to rent for a few months and then you have no worries about your home sitting vacant.

altus2006

i would disagree with this.. problem with rent is that you can't leave your personal items there and it won't feel like "home". Do you really want to be hauling all your belongings in and out every 6 months? I surely wouldn't want to be sleeping in someone elses bed. Plus you give up any of the price appreciation that will inevitable occur over the next 5-10 yrs. why wouldn't you buy at prices that are 30-50% off their peaks?? this way not only do you get to enjoy YOUR property, but it also acts an investment.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:10 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times
People do this "snowbird" thing all the time. I have met many people who have left there homes for warmer climates. I've really not heard of them going home to a robbery or such.
You do feel better being able to leave you things there, buy your own bedding and belongings........It feels like your home, and it IS.
Its a good time to buy when prices are low. So why not........
I'm meeting people in SC who have come for months from Canada, NH, Vermont, WV, NJ and NY, just a few of many.
Its a common practice to lock up and leave your permanent home behind. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area