Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 01:10 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,761 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I just received an estimate for landscaping. Not sure what to make of it since this is my first house...reasonable? Here are the details:

My entire yard is about 4,230 sq ft. I want to have grass just in the front(about half of 4,230 sq ft, so I guess 2,115 sq ft in front), and just rock in the back(not really a backyard person)...so cars can park there.

Note: I am of slight build, not really capable of doing really hard labor...that's why I'm paying for it.

For the front:
I'd like to have a curved walkway to street(current one is straight and concrete, I'd like a cobblestone look), 2 Oleander trees in the front, some borders for shrub area close to the house, some rings around the 2 trees. I've got an alley on the side of my house, so probably some low shrubs as a border there. Here's the breakdown I received:

1) timer: $290
2) anti-syphon: $198
3) drip system: $793
4) Sprinkler/sod install 3,764 (this was prior to me informing that I only needed front sod/sprinkler/drip, so maybe this should be a lot less?)
5) 13 tons brown granite/grade: $1240 (backyard I assume)
6) pavestone borders: $564
7) pavestone rings: $120
8) 2 oleander trees: $390
9) paver walkway to street: $1180
10) remove existing concrete to dump: $390
11) Paved to patio: $920
= grand total of $9,489

After I told him the backyard water/drip and granite wasn't necessary(along with my limited funds!), he said he was willing to drop the price down to $5,000(basically just doing the front yard). All a bit strange, I think. But maybe I am wrong?

As for warranties...1 year for spinkler/drip. 10 year for timer & anti-syphon. Using Rainbird 4 " pop-ups. He claims these are highest quality.

Your thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll check back later tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,577,238 times
$5k doesn't sound too bad for a whole renovation of a front yard.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:27 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
First of all is your contractor licensed, bonded, and insured. If not you're left holding the bag if anything goes wrong.
Second, those are pretty decent prices for a 1st class job.
Third, Oleander Trees? You a glutton for punishment. Those are the messiest trees around and are very root invasive.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:42 PM

81 posts, read 346,634 times
Definitely get several quotes from reputable companies as Nitram mentioned. Since you know close to what you want, you can compare prices and then choose the lowest price for each item or plant/tree--make sure they are apple to apple, 15 gal vs 10 gal, etc.--and then add them up and give the target price to the company you feel is the best to work with and ask them to give you that price. If not, work your way down.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

As for Oleanders, nitram...lol...I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I just think they are gorgeous when 'trained' as trees. I want to look out my front windows and see those pretty white or red flowers, lots of 'em! And you have to admit the Oleanders bloom like crazy! The hotter it is, the more they seem to like it. And even when they're not blooming, they have a very perfect-tree shape and lovely leaves. And I'm not averse to a little raking and yardwork. I enjoy pulling weeds and all that. As the poet Yeats once said(paraphrasing him): There's very little beauty on this Earth that doesn't require hard labor.

I also love the look of the Purple Leaf Plum but I understand they're quite fickle and one is lucky if they survive(bugs like them). But oh, are they striking! I'm tempted to have one as an experiment!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:04 PM

24,479 posts, read 26,017,453 times
And oleander can be poisonous.

Oleander - Symptoms, Emergency, What to Do - NY Times Health Information

Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Yes, but in tree form, in the front yard, there's not much risk to people or animals. I've got a dwarf oleander hedge that I'm more than a bit tired of, but when it is really blooming and green, it's very pretty. You do have to be careful not planting a lot of it near pool pipes, etc., as the roots really do run. I think a couple of oleander trees are fine, if you like them.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:15 PM

Wow...nitram I owe you a huge thanks. Even though the guy I spoke with had his contractor's license listed on the website, I just checked it on the AZ Contractor's Board website to be safe and his license was revoked back in 08, with 3 separate disciplinary actions. Yikes! So, the search continues...

I was aware that Oleanders are poisonous, but since I have only indoor kitties, and no kids, hopefully this won't be a problem. No pool, either.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:50 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,966 times
First, this is what I do for a living up in Oregon.

Next, the price range sound like it is in the right ballpark. As far as multiple estimates, there is no need at all for that if the price is right and you can ascertain that their work is known to be reliable and they have experience. I hire other contract work at home like windows, and there is no way I'd ever go for 3 estimates on a project that size. All that 3 and 4 estimates does is raise the cost for everybody else, because it all boils down to time and time is always stuffed into the project prices.

The irrigation warranty is entry level. For plants I think its okay to offer no warranty or 1 year. One year, you are paying for it. Anywhere from thirty to one hundred percent markup. With proper selection and planting, plants should not die, therefore no real need for warranty in my opinion.

For irrigation, I think that 2 and 3 years is better for irrigation. If you want a fun example to look at for comparison, Google Lewis Landscape Services in Beaverton, Oregon.

They have a whole page about their irrigation and warranties, some of the best in the area. What they call the gold standard. Their page may give you some ideas about a few more questions that you could ask, or minor changes for your contract.

Insist on a minimum experience level at your home for supervision. If a company says they have been in business for 20 years, insist to have no less than a 5 year experience person supervising and active on the project. This aspect is an important one.

Cheers - M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Old 10-22-2009, 11:27 AM

24,479 posts, read 26,017,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Yes, but in tree form, in the front yard, there's not much risk to people or animals. I've got a dwarf oleander hedge that I'm more than a bit tired of, but when it is really blooming and green, it's very pretty. You do have to be careful not planting a lot of it near pool pipes, etc., as the roots really do run. I think a couple of oleander trees are fine, if you like them.
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to mention it as the city just north of us has banned them. They have a lot of horse's, cow and other farm type animals and they were getting sick from eating the plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area