Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Phoenix, Arizona strictly for the affordability of large, new home, cost minded move, booming economy, strong job growth, large metropolitan area, desert landscape, sunsets, suburban lifestyle

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:35 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times

Advertisements

I know people move to your cities for different reasons. It's expensive, so people who move there have other reasons for going, a good job, activity, beach, exciting urban life.
My question is, you know people only move to Phoenix for the affordability of a larger, newer home. Do you ever think, what kind of city it is going to be full of people who just want a cheap house? I mean it's just like anything else, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. You don't actually think that you can get a cheap house and low crime, no pollution and great schools do you? Experiencing the influx, we who have lived here along time wonder who were getting as neighbors when there just coming for a cheaper house. And by the dozens. If you don't like the snow there are other places a lot more exciting than Phx, it still comes down to what has no snow and a cheap house. I'm sure I would like a lot of you but I've been dealing a lot lately with your disappointment once you get here and I'll tell ya, you need to really ask yourself, why do people move to AZ. I understand some of you get transfered here. Go to school here. But is there a reason I'm missing? I want to here it from you. The first thing that comes to most minds when someone says there moving to NY city or L.A. or San Diego is wow, your so lucky, how fun. But I will tell you, and I know you know what the first thing people think when you say your moving to AZ, 1st- hot! 2nd- Oh, it's cheaper there. They want a big house for a cheap price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 08:42 PM

62 posts, read 266,929 times
Quote:
The first thing that comes to most minds when someone says there moving to NY city or L.A. or San Diego is wow, your so lucky, how fun.
You clearly don't know many people, at least not many people who live in any of those cities. The first thing that comes to almost EVERYONE's mind when they say "i am moving to nyc" is "ouch...rent."

There are those types that I think just wouldn't be happy anywhere. They find the negatives of every city. I know many of them. I would suggest you to just find the positives. If you think Phoenix isnt affordable, you can't live in many other cities.

Similarly, you make it sound like people who are "cost-minded" are people no one want to associate with. Almost everyone is cost-minded, but moving takes a toll on people. Making a move from NY to AZ is laborious, but a lot of people do it. And then some people don't. I think its sad for someone to look down on others who are expense-wary and cognizant of their current and future financial state. Perhaps you are just not a people person?

Taking advantage of a city's sites and opportunities is your job. People complain about there being nothing exciting to do in Phoenix, but there are so many events to attend and so many things to do, from shows, arts, cultural events, etc. Someone who complains about there being nothing to do is someone who would move to NY and be one of those 10 million people who have never visited the Met.

Lastly, there are a myriad of reasons why people choose to move to Arizona. People don't just move here because its "cheap." Its among the reasons, but there are scores of other bustling sun belt cities that have "affordable housing." Arizona has a booming economy, strong job growth, large metropolitan area, believe it or not many people love and appreciate the desert landscape, the sunsets, the natural surrounding, the suburban lifestyle, the touristy Scottsdale. Its one of few cities that have all four major professional team representatives. There is plenty to do, maybe you just haven't found them.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:59 PM

22 posts, read 109,588 times
Smile Ok, here is why?

Ok, so we live in Los Angeles and my son is in one year away from going to Kindergarten. We are renting a 1960's 1500 square foot house in a pretty good area (West Hills, but not the best part of it, for those of you reading and know), for $2,500 per month. The school that my son is suppose to go to is not rated great so what do you do. We can move to a better area, but we will have to rent again, either an even smaller house or spend even more money for rent. Again, we would be renting because houses are very expensive and you can't even get a condo for $350,000. Not to mention property taxes are very high (almost double) and earthquake insurance. Oh and don't forget the earthquakes where at any moment one can hit destroying your house etc. In the 1993? 1994? (can't remember the year right now), my manager was crushed and died in his apartment in Northridge approximately 5 miles from where we have lived all my life. The other choice we have is to send my son to a private school for $15,000 or more, which is not going to happen. We can try to get in on permit to the good school, but there is no guarentee that we will get in and the stress that goes along with that. I don't want to wait years only to find out that housing prices in LA have not gone down enough to afford to buy. I have certain expectations for my life, and one of them is to buy a nice house with a pool, in a nice area to raise my children. My research indicates that with my career, I can make a similar income in Arizona. Resulting in being able to buy a house and live an easier slower life in Arizona. I want to live the american dream just like everyone else, and if that takes moving to a different state that has a hotter climate, monsoons, and sand storms so be it. I don't want to rent someone elses house which by the way since it is an old house, everything is constantly breaking. Anyway, there is my two cents, and I could go on, as it is not just about housing, there are other things, but it is getting late.

We are nice people, and I think that our family will be a nice addition to Arizona.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:25 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I know people move to your cities for different reasons. It's expensive, so people who move there have other reasons for going, a good job, activity, beach, exciting urban life.
My question is, you know people only move to Phoenix for the affordability of a larger, newer home. Do you ever think, what kind of city it is going to be full of people who just want a cheap house? I mean it's just like anything else, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. You don't actually think that you can get a cheap house and low crime, no pollution and great schools do you? Experiencing the influx, we who have lived here along time wonder who were getting as neighbors when there just coming for a cheaper house. And by the dozens. If you don't like the snow there are other places a lot more exciting than Phx, it still comes down to what has no snow and a cheap house. I'm sure I would like a lot of you but I've been dealing a lot lately with your disappointment once you get here and I'll tell ya, you need to really ask yourself, why do people move to AZ. I understand some of you get transfered here. Go to school here. But is there a reason I'm missing? I want to here it from you. The first thing that comes to most minds when someone says there moving to NY city or L.A. or San Diego is wow, your so lucky, how fun. But I will tell you, and I know you know what the first thing people think when you say your moving to AZ, 1st- hot! 2nd- Oh, it's cheaper there. They want a big house for a cheap price.

I originally moved there from NY for a cheap apt where I could actually have a balcony and afford it and the main reason was the weather.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel87 View Post
You clearly don't know many people, at least not many people who live in any of those cities. The first thing that comes to almost EVERYONE's mind when they say "i am moving to nyc" is "ouch...rent."

There are those types that I think just wouldn't be happy anywhere. They find the negatives of every city. I know many of them. I would suggest you to just find the positives. If you think Phoenix isnt affordable, you can't live in many other cities.

Similarly, you make it sound like people who are "cost-minded" are people no one want to associate with. Almost everyone is cost-minded, but moving takes a toll on people. Making a move from NY to AZ is laborious, but a lot of people do it. And then some people don't. I think its sad for someone to look down on others who are expense-wary and cognizant of their current and future financial state. Perhaps you are just not a people person?

Taking advantage of a city's sites and opportunities is your job. People complain about there being nothing exciting to do in Phoenix, but there are so many events to attend and so many things to do, from shows, arts, cultural events, etc. Someone who complains about there being nothing to do is someone who would move to NY and be one of those 10 million people who have never visited the Met.

Lastly, there are a myriad of reasons why people choose to move to Arizona. People don't just move here because its "cheap." Its among the reasons, but there are scores of other bustling sun belt cities that have "affordable housing." Arizona has a booming economy, strong job growth, large metropolitan area, believe it or not many people love and appreciate the desert landscape, the sunsets, the natural surrounding, the suburban lifestyle, the touristy Scottsdale. Its one of few cities that have all four major professional team representatives. There is plenty to do, maybe you just haven't found them.
I only needed the last paragraph Steel, but thanx for the spanking. I don't mind cost effective people, I am thrifty myself, but if they get here and realize how much they gave up in a bustling coastal city and are disappointed then that has effected me. The housing prices here continue to rise and like I have said in other posts, I hope their not just stopping in for the all you can eat buffet and then leaving in 2 yrs when they realize their mistake! Then rent their cheap house out to people who don't give a s**t! I have 10 rental houses going to crap on my street because people fled AZ with out taking care of their stuff. I don't think moving to afford a house is bad. Just make sure your moving because you like what AZ has to offer you. And yes, most were from CA. Sorry to tell ya Steel but compared to the two cities I posted there is really nothing to do here. I have visited both, L.A. every summer and did a plenty! There's no beach or boardwalk here and if you think Tempe town lake is a comparison you are way off! Plus, the shows and theatre don't compare either, and on that note I might say that shopping, authentic food establishments and live music are not going to compare to what people in L.A. or NY city are use to! It's all good compared to a lot of other cities but not these two. No way, and not nearly as easy to get to. Being affordable in the housing department is one thing we do have, no snow is another. A lot of jobs, yes. High paying jobs, no. I would make 3 times my salary in NY. That's my point, it's all relative. You pay less here but you make less here. You better like something else about this place like the cactus and desert or something or you will hate it here. This thread was not to be taken as a put down to people from these states. I posted these states because they are the people who will find our amenities a little flat compared to where they came from. If your coming from Idaho then you'll find plenty to do here.lol Not saying Idaho doesn't have anything exciting going on but, well, you know. There are wonderful things about AZ so I hope they make it worth your while.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tann22 View Post
Ok, so we live in Los Angeles and my son is in one year away from going to Kindergarten. We are renting a 1960's 1500 square foot house in a pretty good area (West Hills, but not the best part of it, for those of you reading and know), for $2,500 per month. The school that my son is suppose to go to is not rated great so what do you do. We can move to a better area, but we will have to rent again, either an even smaller house or spend even more money for rent. Again, we would be renting because houses are very expensive and you can't even get a condo for $350,000. Not to mention property taxes are very high (almost double) and earthquake insurance. Oh and don't forget the earthquakes where at any moment one can hit destroying your house etc. In the 1993? 1994? (can't remember the year right now), my manager was crushed and died in his apartment in Northridge approximately 5 miles from where we have lived all my life. The other choice we have is to send my son to a private school for $15,000 or more, which is not going to happen. We can try to get in on permit to the good school, but there is no guarentee that we will get in and the stress that goes along with that. I don't want to wait years only to find out that housing prices in LA have not gone down enough to afford to buy. I have certain expectations for my life, and one of them is to buy a nice house with a pool, in a nice area to raise my children. My research indicates that with my career, I can make a similar income in Arizona. Resulting in being able to buy a house and live an easier slower life in Arizona. I want to live the american dream just like everyone else, and if that takes moving to a different state that has a hotter climate, monsoons, and sand storms so be it. I don't want to rent someone elses house which by the way since it is an old house, everything is constantly breaking. Anyway, there is my two cents, and I could go on, as it is not just about housing, there are other things, but it is getting late.

We are nice people, and I think that our family will be a nice addition to Arizona.
I am sure you will be a nice addition. You will probably love it here. Your life will be much better here I think. Thank you for such an honest answer. By the way, I love the monsoons, you will too after 2 months of sun and heat.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I originally moved there from NY for a cheap apt where I could actually have a balcony and afford it and the main reason was the weather.
Hows Mytle Beach? I'm still jealous. Yeah, I hope your balcony had a view and not the neighbors yard or the street.lol I think I've been offending some people today! I always seem to do that.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 PM

What you stated in this post is completely different from your original post. Just reread your OP and it sounds like a spanking to AZ residents and transplants in general.

I agree that Phoenix has less to do than LA and NYC. I'm not sure what you are expecting when transplanting here, definitely not the worldclass entertainment of these two cities (LA and NYC are among the top 5 alpha cities worldwide.) Why would anyone compare LA and NYC to Phoenix? Its like comparing Vegas to Biloxi.

With that said, my main point is just because Phoenix's cultural events, museums, etc arent as internationally renowned as NYC doesn't mean the entire metropolitan area lacks any activities whatsoever, which is what many people try to say (and what you hinted at originally.) Many NY transplants like to point out how much bigger and better NYC attractions are than Phoenix, but look at the statistics. How many people in NY have ever attended a show on Broadway? How many have actually visited the Met, the MoMa? How many people frequent Madison Avenue/5th Avenue/SoHo? How many have actually awakened at 5 am to trek down to Rockefeller Center for a taping of Today Show or Bryant Park for Goodmorning America? Sure, NY has the famous Restaurant Week, nice specialty stores like Eli Zabars, ABC Cafe, etf. But with a little research, you will find restaurants just as nice in Scottsdale, cafes with just the same homey feeling and sociable strangers. People just take a greater effort in NY to research these places than they do in Phoenix.

Yes NYC has all these great activities, unfortunately its mainly tourists going there and not the residents. Its one thing to actually frequent these attractions, its another to just boast about a city having the attractions.

You would make 3 times your salary in NY? Hardly, but your cost of living would also skyrocket. A large population of NYC cant afford to live there. And there are scores of high paying jobs in Phoenix. Clearly not the jobs like the financial industry in NYC, but if you have the qualifications you could be makign a six figure income.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:24 PM

22 posts, read 109,588 times
Default Last Thing

Don't worry, I will do my research. I don't want to make a mistake more then you don't want me to (if that makes sense). My sister in law moved to Arizona (Awatukee) from Huntington Beach, and she likes it.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:27 PM

Also, you would be surprised twiggy. I went to college out in the tri-state area and many friends would visit me over break. Most New Yorkers expect nothing to do. They were pleasantly surprised to find plenty of things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area