Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,131 times

Advertisements

Hi! Our family is relocating to Phoenix most likely within the next month. I will be taking a position at Mayo Hospital (North part of town). We would like to live not too far from Mayo Hospital. Our income will be modest. We need to know what areas close to Mayo hospital are safe, affordable (house, duplex rental) and have good High schools. We are from the mid-west where we can still leave our doors open at night; but are very excited about the move, and anticipate that the change will be good for our little family. Can anyone please help? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 06:10 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times
What kind of budget is considered affordable to you? Own or Rent?

Old 11-08-2009, 06:45 PM

We will rent at first; as to get a lay of the land, and spouse find job too. At first we can afford up to 1000/mo rent; but of course prefer lower, as spouse also will need time to find work. We need at least a 2 bedroom place (possible small house, condo or duplex preferred). We may consider a lease option; but again need to learn the area. Safety, close proximity to work, and good schools (one 16 yr old) are very important to us. A pool would be awesome; but don't know if affordable with our budget?! Thanks for your help!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:07 PM

I think for that budget the closest you can get to the Mayo will be around 40th Street - Tatum. There are some older homes from say Greenway and North and then in the area of around 32nd Street - Tatum.

It wont be too likely to find things much east of Tatum, but there is also a small pocket of less expensive homes in a neighborhood I'm thinking about thats around 56-64th Street & greenway that had a pocket of some more affordable rentals too.

I used to live around Tatum & Tbird and liked it fine and this area is pretty close to the areas I mentioned above too. Generally speaking the neighborhoods further east with Scottsdale addresses are more expensive and in my opinion not really worth the increase just to have boasting rights over a "scottsdale" address.

As far as school districts, PV schools are rated high and the areas I mentioned are all in PV district.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:18 PM

If you are ok with an apt complex, I just saw some some really nice 2/2 places for rent in scottsdale in the 650 range. So its possible to be closer in scottsdale for a good deal if you consider complexes as opposed to homes. I can send them to you so you see, send me a pm with your email and I'll forward them.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the all the tips. How far is the Scottsdale commute from the Mayo Hosp. North? I know Mayo has a Scottsdale local; but I would consider a commute if weren't too far to the North hospital local. Sure forward the 2/2 place info. Again thank you.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:13 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
I live close enough to Mayo Hospital that I could probably walk there. A 2 BR in this part of town will probably max out or go over your budget. HOWEVER, don't go by the rents initially quoted. Most places offer "incentives" for your initial lease term. Ie "2 months free on a 1 year lease prorated off your rent". Here are some places that are very close to Mayo, some you could probably walk from (when it isnt 115' lol!) and if you can get a good enough incentive, may be able to get in at the higher end of your budget:

90 Degrees (68th & Mayo)
Barossa at Paradise Ridge (right behind 90 Degrees)
Desert Club (across the street eastward from both of the foregoing, this is where I live)
Shade at Desert Ridge (Deer Valley & Tatum)
Pillar at Scottsdale (near Scottsdale & Frank Lloyd Wright)
Kierland (Legends, Paragon and Tradition-there are 3 complexes)

Here are a few that will still leave you fairly close and may be a bit more reasonable on the budget. I suspect you can guarantee under $1,000 for a 2/2 at the following 4:

Broadstone Desert Horizon (like 58th & Bell)
Bellaggio (like 56th & Bell)
Tatum Gardens (Tatum & Greenway)
Sonterra (on Tatum between Bell & Mayo)

Most of these have VERY nice pools. And your 16 year old will be happy. They could hangout at Desert Ridge or Kierland, have 2 very close movie theaters (Desert Ridge & Mayo 101). Paradise Valley Mall is just straight down Tatum to Shea. And pretty much all of these are on a bus line.

From far "south" Scottsdale you could EASILY be looking at an unpleasant commute. $650 is not going to put you into a nice neighborhood. I would rent in the nicest place you can afford, then take your time to learn the area and figure out where you really want to live IMHO.

Last edited by ivanabacowboy; 11-09-2009 at 03:27 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 03:22 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
Also realize that the closer you live to work, it will be that much less you will have to put into your gas tank (and wear & tear on your car) to commute. So even some of these places that come in a tad higher than your budget may offset what you would otherwise spend in gas.

The last 4 I listed will be the cheapest of the bunch if you want to start there. I'd consider Tatum Gardens last-it simply isnt as nice as the others. Sonterra appears to have the nicest pool among the last 4. (Anything on my initial list of 6 most likely has a gorgeous pool.)

Old 11-09-2009, 03:41 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
You are moving to a great area of town, I would suggest looking near Tatum & Union Hills, a short drive from the hospital.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
From far "south" Scottsdale you could EASILY be looking at an unpleasant commute. $650 is not going to put you into a nice neighborhood. I would rent in the nicest place you can afford, then take your time to learn the area and figure out where you really want to live IMHO.
The one I saw online was a privately owned townhome rental, not an apartment complex. It was located at Shea / Frank Lloyd Wright NOT South Scottsdale.

In fact I found a whole list of places near PV Mall, Shea/FLW that are under $700. These are privately owned townhomes / condos being rented where the owners are under pressure to find tenants so maybe thats why they are less than large apt complexes with heavy foot traffic. I can send the link to anyone interested.

Agreed... not typical to find something like that in this price range and thats the only reason I brought it up. I never recommended South Scottsdale, and I dont think I saw anyone else in the thread suggesting that either. That looks like an assumption you made based on the pricing.

The other complexes you brought up I would agree with 100%, all of them pretty much fall in the areas I initially said to look. He brought up home rentals and/or duplexes and thats why I singled out the townhome rental for $650 at Shea/FLW as opposed to apt complexes. Just trying to clarify

Last edited by cmist; 11-09-2009 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: