Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:46 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Skywalks already exist in a few scattered areas downtown, and elsewhere in Phoenix ... however, there is no established skyway system like in Minneapolis, Duluth, Des Moines, etc. Honestly, there aren't too many cities in the nation that have skywalk systems. Certainly none of the sunbelt cities that I know of have these ... and I honestly don't think they make a city seem larger or more urban. They're in place mostly in the Midwestern cities for convenience reasons.

There are other things that are needed to make downtown Phoenix more lively ... such as better shopping, more entertainment, more eateries & bars that stay open later at night, and more corporations that base their regional, national, or world HQs here. Most of all: ignore the NIMBYs! They are small, but vocal groups of activists who try to stop anything and everything from becoming reality. You name it, and chances are they're against it.
As usual, I pretty much agree with your views. I didn't take the time to look up what a skywalk or skyway was but seeing as though it would just take more people off the streets no matter what it was, it seemed like the wrong direction. I'm not sure if the OP was ever here, but he probably has a hard time imagining just how dead the downtown actually is compared to where he is from. I mean besides the routine office workers and corporate execs that probably have no reason for inter building walks during work hours.

Its hard to ignore the NIMBY's when they basically rule the city, maybe you can propose a way to take them down instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 09:53 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I agree that it probably wont do much to help the economy downtown by siphoning people off the streets away from storefronts. Downtown is already dead as it is. But I think its cool idea in the right conditions.

Maybe that idea isn't the best, but I'm glad you threw it out there for debate. I think we desperately needs SOMETHING here to make it live like a larger city, but not sure what.
I'm glad you appreciate my idea for the sake of debate

What I really think a lot of cities need is an outsider's perspective. I like Phoenix how it is right now, but in the long run, I think that there's a lot of things Phoenix could improve on. And by improve on, I mean be progressive towards.

The reason I threw the idea of a skywalk out there is because I knew it works well in a cold climate. I've never lived in a super hot climate, but I thought it could have the same effect, but apparently not. Oh well

Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
What I really think a lot of cities need is an outsider's perspective. I like Phoenix how it is right now, but in the long run, I think that there's a lot of things Phoenix could improve on. And by improve on, I mean be progressive towards.
I agree about the outsider perspective. This city has been run by the same old crusty forces for far too long. Phoenix has ALOT to improve on.

Don't misunderstand this as "hating on Phoenix" but anyone who says its perfect is living in a dreamworld. Many smaller cities across the country are much more progressive so its a shame that with this huge population base they didn't figure out a way to do something viable and successful.

Its the 5th largest city with the amenities of a small town and its why the home values cant be maintained. If sunshine isn't enough to keep you eternally happy, you are likely to go back to your hometown with a renewed appreciation.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
As usual, I pretty much agree with your views. I didn't take the time to look up what a skywalk or skyway was but seeing as though it would just take more people off the streets no matter what it was, it seemed like the wrong direction. I'm not sure if the OP was ever here, but he probably has a hard time imagining just how dead the downtown actually is compared to where he is from. I mean besides the routine office workers and corporate execs that probably have no reason for inter building walks during work hours.

Its hard to ignore the NIMBY's when they basically rule the city, maybe you can propose a way to take them down instead?
Oh I have been to Phoenix before. I've driven past downtown Phoenix, but never actually got a chance to go downtown. When I'm visiting during Christmas, we'll actually be staying downtown, so I'll get a chance to experience downtown Phoenix for the first time!

And downtown here in Duluth is not the most dead place, but it's not all that bustling either. I mean, you can't expect much from a city of 85,000 people. Actually the Canal Park area is more bustling, especially in the summer. Tourists galore. I don't blame them, it's beautiful down there. The big problem in Duluth is the sprawl, so to speak. We have two main areas of business: Downtown and the mall area. Downtown is below the hill and by the lake, and the mall area is on the hill a few miles up. But I've been to downtown Minneapolis quite a few times, and it seemed pretty decent foot traffic wise. But nothing really all too impressive. So don't worry, I don't have my hopes set too high for a fast faced bustling downtown area.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:00 PM

259 posts, read 705,690 times
I suppose a skywalk or elevated walkway connecting buildings above street level here in Phoenix would be a good idea if we had an annual snowfall equal to that of our northern teir states.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Oh I have been to Phoenix before. I've driven past downtown Phoenix, but never actually got a chance to go downtown. When I'm visiting during Christmas, we'll actually be staying downtown, so I'll get a chance to experience downtown Phoenix for the first time!

And downtown here in Duluth is not the most dead place, but it's not all that bustling either. I mean, you can't expect much from a city of 85,000 people. Actually the Canal Park area is more bustling, especially in the summer. Tourists galore. I don't blame them, it's beautiful down there. The big problem in Duluth is the sprawl, so to speak. We have two main areas of business: Downtown and the mall area. Downtown is below the hill and by the lake, and the mall area is on the hill a few miles up. But I've been to downtown Minneapolis quite a few times, and it seemed pretty decent foot traffic wise. But nothing really all too impressive. So don't worry, I don't have my hopes set too high for a fast faced bustling downtown area.
You might have a new definition of a dead downtown once you visit. I was there last week with out of town company who had never seen it and at 7pm, we were the only 2 around for miles, and they remarked how strange it was to hear crickets chirping while looking at skyscrapers. It was a weekday but there wasn't even a car on the road, and it was eerily silent. Action is limited to a few concentrated areas leaving the rest completely unused after hours.

I couldnt really compare this to your area since I've never been to MN, but from what I hear downtowns for cities as large as this, and smaller ones too, have more mixed use bustling downtowns.

As for sprawl, I have a hard time believing its worse than here.

After you visit, please come back and let us know how it goes. Would love to know if you think I'm being overly pessimistic or realistic.

Last edited by cmist; 12-10-2009 at 10:12 PM..

Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
As usual, I pretty much agree with your views. I didn't take the time to look up what a skywalk or skyway was but seeing as though it would just take more people off the streets no matter what it was, it seemed like the wrong direction. I'm not sure if the OP was ever here, but he probably has a hard time imagining just how dead the downtown actually is compared to where he is from.
They're basically enclosed walkways that are connected from building to building, and usually can be found bridged above streets or intersections. Think of them as overhead glassed crosswalks. As I stated, a few Midwestern cities have these mostly for convenience reasons because the winter weather is so nasty there. In places like Minneapolis, it's pretty common to see these skywalks connecting the parking garages to the office buildings.

Quote:
They don't rule the city ... although, many of them like to think they do because of their "my way or the highway" attitude toward new development. Believe me, I'd LOVE to take down the NIMBYs! Maybe we could use a taxidermic method of stuffing all the NIMBYs, waxing them, and then build a special wax museum for them to be put on display. Phoenix could have a new wax museum, and its own freak show all in one place!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
They're basically enclosed walkways that are connected from building to building, and usually can be found bridged above streets or intersections. Think of them as overhead glassed crosswalks. As I stated, a few Midwestern cities have these mostly for convenience reasons because the winter weather is so nasty there. In places like Minneapolis, it's pretty common to see these skywalks connecting the parking garages to the office buildings.

They don't rule the city ... although, many of them like to think they do because of their "my way or the highway" attitude toward new development. Believe me, I'd LOVE to take down the NIMBYs! Maybe we could use a taxidermic method of stuffing all the NIMBYs, waxing them, and then build a special wax museum for them to be put on display. Phoenix could have a new wax museum, and its own freak show all in one place!
Ya I could gather that much from the name, but I thought maybe I was missing something. I get that they work much better for colder climates.

As for the NIMBY museum, I'll buy a ticket! We can use all the entertainment we can get.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
If sunshine isn't enough to keep you eternally happy, you are likely to go back to your hometown with a renewed appreciation.
Well the fact is Duluth is not progressive at all. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty city, but there's so many factors going against it. Actually a post on the Duluth forum summarizes Duluth perfectly, so if you have the time, take a read:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11701888-post23.html

In terms of what I want for myself, Phoenix provides so much more opportunity for me. It also provides a more desirable climate (which to me is near perfect personally ) and lots more to do compared to where I'm from. There's so many pro's to Phoenix and so many con's to where I'm from so my reasons for wanting to be in Phoenix aren't without great research and thinking over.

I'm a progressive person, and I feel that Phoenix has SUCH opportunity to make great progress, since it's already such a great city.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Well the fact is Duluth is not progressive at all. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty city, but there's so many factors going against it. Actually a post on the Duluth forum summarizes Duluth perfectly, so if you have the time, take a read:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11701888-post23.html

In terms of what I want for myself, Phoenix provides so much more opportunity for me. It also provides a more desirable climate (which to me is near perfect personally ) and lots more to do compared to where I'm from. There's so many pro's to Phoenix and so many con's to where I'm from so my reasons for wanting to be in Phoenix aren't without great research and thinking over.

I'm a progressive person, and I feel that Phoenix has SUCH opportunity to make great progress, since it's already such a great city.
I would pick Phoenix over Duluth too. If I consider the whole country though, this place wouldn't be in my top 20. I'm sure the size of Phoenix will provide much more opportunity than where you are now... but as for progressive, I have a hard time putting that label on Phoenix. I'm burnt out here and don't mean to be such a downer. Come and see for yourself and let us know what you think after your next trip.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: