Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:42 PM

18 posts, read 23,932 times

Advertisements

Just a little head's up to those of you thinking about moving here to the desert southwest. We have a nasty incurable disease here called "coccidiodomycosis", also known as Valley Fever, it's caused from organism's that live in the soil, it is prevelent in Arizona, southwestern New Mexico, southern & north central California, Nevada.
I recently contracted the disease after having lived in the Phoenix area for 9 year's. Not something to be taken lightly!
Check out the following site's to gain more knowledge of this, it's litterally Arizona's dirty little secret.
www.cdc.gov
www.mayoclinic.com
www.valleyfeversurvivor.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 06:55 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,453 times
Mmmmm, bring it on!

Old 12-18-2009, 06:58 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,108 times
Default how are you feeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fevenchill View Post
Just a little head's up to those of you thinking about moving here to the desert southwest. We have a nasty incurable disease here called "coccidiodomycosis", also known as Valley Fever, it's caused from organism's that live in the soil, it is prevelent in Arizona, southwestern New Mexico, southern & north central California, Nevada.
I recently contracted the disease after having lived in the Phoenix area for 9 year's. Not something to be taken lightly!
Check out the following site's to gain more knowledge of this, it's litterally Arizona's dirty little secret.
www.cdc.gov
www.mayoclinic.com
www.valleyfeversurvivor.com
can you tell me your worst symptoms? My friend recently had an issue with a spot on her lung, of course they thought the worst .shes not a native to Phoenix, but travels to Vegas quite often. I told her to definately mention valley fever as the doctor won't even think of that since shes in the Midwest. Turns out it was a spot from a fungus type infection apparently she has had in the past, while they didn't specifically say valley fever, but since shes out this way so much, I guess they would have had tested her for exposure, but they did not. Let us know how you do.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:01 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Mmmmm, bring it on!
It is real, but no vaccines and there are issues similar in other parts of the country such as hantavirus in MN. You need to be aware and if the doc has no idea or not sure, question it. Dogs are also susceptible. Someone hubby knows just lost a dog to it because of not being aware and taking to the vet too late.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,108 times
Default strange reply

Quote:
Mmmmm, bring it on!
so your interested in a case of Valley Fever? okkkkkkkk

Old 12-18-2009, 07:16 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
It is real, but no vaccines and there are issues similar in other parts of the country such as hantavirus in MN. You need to be aware and if the doc has no idea or not sure, question it. Dogs are also susceptible. Someone hubby knows just lost a dog to it because of not being aware and taking to the vet too late.
Well that is good to keep in mind. I just thought this was another one of those troll-like posts. But I will keep that in mind as a possible cause of sickness if I do get sick living out there.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Well that is good to keep in mind. I just thought this was another one of those troll-like posts. But I will keep that in mind as a possible cause of sickness if I do get sick living out there.
Definitely not troll...Google it or use the links given by OP...it is respiratory and just keep it in mind should you notice symptoms and ask when going to the doc for something similar if in doubt and don't wait too long thinking it will go away (I am one of those) ...just one of those things and I didn't know about it until right before we moved here, but not going to panic and I hope OP pulls out fast.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:04 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
my wife contracted it shortly after we moved out - it got pretty nasty

conor jackson of the diamondbacks pretty much had his season ruined because of it

2 of my friends have dogs with it

i also know people who've gotten it and really didn't have much impact at all

definitely something to be aware of and not something you hear about until you get out here

Old 12-18-2009, 08:50 PM

19 posts, read 34,992 times
Wow! I wonder if people with previous respiratory conditions (asthma) are more inclinded to get this?? Well, I guess it's one more thing to research! thanks for sharing!

Old 12-18-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBrokerMom View Post
Wow! I wonder if people with previous respiratory conditions (asthma) are more inclinded to get this?? Well, I guess it's one more thing to research! thanks for sharing!
I haven't looked at it in a while, but I would guess asthma or such would not make you more inclined to get it, but could make the problem worse if you did...if I remember it gets airborne in dust flying, so breathing it in would be the beginning. When you look at statistics, I think if I was going to worry about catching something, I would find something else such as more human transferable such as H1N1, common cold...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona