Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Advertisements

While staying at the Pointe there are a few places within walking distance about five blocks north of the Tapatio Resort. At 7th Street & Thunderbird Rd. there is a McDonalds for the kids fast meal if needed, AJ’s Fine Foods (they have a large selection of wine, bakery, produce, and deli. There is also a Starbucks and a Fresh & Easy grocery store that carries a selection of pre-made sandwiches, soft drinks and other food items. A Walgreens as well is in the same area. If you have a pet with you there is a Dog Resort located behind the Walgreens and Fresh & Easy stores that can watch your animal for you while your out and about.

The Pointe has a very nice golf course if anyone wants to play, and it’s location is in the middle of the North Mountain Phoenix Mountain Preserves with hiking trails going all directions. You can take an easy hike staying on the lower flat trials or take a challenge and walk up the to the top of two nearby mountains; North Mountain or Shaw Butt. Take a bottle of water with you and also a cell phone isn’t a bad idea. Hike in the cooler morning or evening hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 06:19 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Unless you leave before sunrise, you won't have enough time to do anything but stop and look, then get back in your car and drive home.

There is so much to do and see it would be pointless, but if you want to just park your car and look at a big empty space for a few hours go for it, personally I enjoy hiking down and around the canyon, sightseeing, not being rushed through it.
So 211 miles is going to take 6 hours? The articles I have found say 4.5 to 5 hours.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 AM

From the location of the Pointe (north Phx) you’ll be able to get to Flagstaff in 2 hours on I-17 if there are no delays. Flagstaff to the Canyon can take another 90 minutes + depending on delays and traffic. Remember there is a lot of traffic inside the park itself and it moves slowly.

Last time I was there you had to park and ride their buses to the overlook locations along the canyon. The “east” area of the canyon is less crowded and you use to be able to drive it yourself instead of taking the bus. There are several overlooks along route 64 going to the east entrance of the park. Desert View overlook is very nice and it is the only location on that side or area that serves any food items or snacks in the stores located there.

You may want to buy gas for the car in Flagstaff before going north to the canyon. There are only a few places and they get very busy at times, also their price can get higher then in Flag.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
From the location of the Pointe (north Phx) you’ll be able to get to Flagstaff in 2 hours on I-17 if there are no delays. Flagstaff to the Canyon can take another 90 minutes + depending on delays and traffic. Remember there is a lot of traffic inside the park itself and it moves slowly.

Last time I was there you had to park and ride their buses to the overlook locations along the canyon. The “east” area of the canyon is less crowded and you use to be able to drive it yourself instead of taking the bus. There are several overlooks along route 64 going to the east entrance of the park. Desert View overlook is very nice and it is the only location on that side or area that serves any food items or snacks in the stores located there.

You may want to buy gas for the car in Flagstaff before going north to the canyon. There are only a few places and they get very busy at times, also their price can get higher then in Flag.
I figure I'll plan for a 5 hour trip. Leave at 6am and get there at 11am. Have four/five hours to spend and be back by 9pm. We will probably go on Friday in hopes it's less crowded than the weekend.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:54 AM

Sounds like a plan. If you can start earlier at 5 that would be better. Be careful driving up I-17 and back. Traffic can get heaving over the weekends and there are lots of three day weekends in the metro area doing the same thing you are. Also drive the posted speed, there are DPS officers along the route. Night driving on the return trip can be a little scary in places at high speeds.

Sunrise and sunset are the best times at the canyon, so you’ll miss that. However you’ll be there at the hottest time of the day, take suntan lotion and use it. Also bottled water is important to take along.

If you hadn’t already googled the address location of the Pointe to get a view of the area you might want to try it. Zoom in and you’ll see the trails in the park around the hotel as well just north at 7th & Tbird the businesses that are located about 4 or 5 blocks away. You can walk there on the west side of 7th street using the sidewalk.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
If you're driving up on a Friday prepare for traffic, even at 5am, that's when everyone leaves to go camping. I would expect at least 2-2.5 hours to Flag, then another 1.5-2 to the grand canyon, then another 30 minutes to get through the crowds.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:30 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Unless you leave before sunrise, you won't have enough time to do anything but stop and look, then get back in your car and drive home.

There is so much to do and see it would be pointless, but if you want to just park your car and look at a big empty space for a few hours go for it, personally I enjoy hiking down and around the canyon, sightseeing, not being rushed through it.
I actually agree with KP on that.
It takes longer than you think to actually get up there, find your way around and get into any kind of tour....but hopefully you'll have time to enjoy some sights and get pics. I think taking pics of landscapes around the southwest are the best...many come out frame-worthy.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:46 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
I personally like to spend days at the Grand Canyon, not just a few hours, there is too much to see and do in just a few hours.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Well we'd stay longer if possible. My wife has a conference in Phoenix and we only have one full day to spare. I figure a few hours is better than none.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,593 times
Of course it is, I didn't mean to lecture you about the time frame. I guess we're just stressing the point of how vast the Grand Canyon is.
I hope you guys enjoy the beauty of AZ and take something away from the experience .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area