Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:10 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
My only comment is that some of the Assignments seem more difficult than the monthly contests. Somehow that seems not quite right.
Then we should try to find out whether monthly contests should be tougher, or assignments easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:56 PM

18,124 posts, read 11,756,270 times
Our Second Place Winner - Phirenzic will announce our next theme. I feel this theme will be one of our best yet!

Please subscribe to this thread for updates.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:08 PM

99 posts, read 320,763 times
Hi all,

After talking with 2goldens, I figured a good theme for this month's contest would be misplaced. I figured I would leave it intentionally ambiguous so we could each come up with our own ideas. For example, it could mean something is missing (a lost sneaker/missing wallet), something that doesn't belong (a chess piece on a checker board/beer at a wine bar), or something abstract (lost time).

Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:17 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,773,974 times
No questions, but I'll take a pass on this one.....

Old 06-08-2009, 05:02 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,229 times
Misplaced sounds like fun. I guess there are lots of things one could come up with.

Although I agree with some of you here that the point in taking a picture is not just push the button on random objects. Anyhoo, sometimes it's just what makes a picture perfect, to be at the right place at the right time and then you only have the choice of point and shoot or let the moment pass by.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:28 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Misplaced sounds like fun. I guess there are lots of things one could come up with.

Although I agree with some of you here that the point in taking a picture is not just push the button on random objects. Anyhoo, sometimes it's just what makes a picture perfect, to be at the right place at the right time and then you only have the choice of point and shoot or let the moment pass by.
Your comments are right on. I enjoy the photos that are "caught as a moment in time", but not those that are staged. I do wish the contests would not permit "staged" shots. There is not as much creativity and challenge in those and. as a result, while the photo may look lovely, it doesn't touch the deeper inner chord of the viewer. At least, I'm not stirred by them, possibly because they feel fabricated and commercial, without the magic of that "Kodak moment" when you are in the right place at the right time and you have to shoot or let the moment pass by.

Well said, miguel's mom!

Old 06-08-2009, 09:05 AM

99 posts, read 320,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I guess my take on assignments and contests is a little different than yours. In my opinion, assignment and contest photos require a little more forethought than trying to capture a moment at the right place and time. For that, I see the "Daily Random Photos" thread (and the dozens of threads) in this forum as a great place to show off your work. I see the assignments and contests as specific scenarios that demand greater practice and execution. Again, in my opinion, we should be shooting to meet specific criteria, and not sorting through our month's photos to see what, if anything, meets the current requirements.

Of course, my take may be different than others.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:28 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I enjoy the photos that are "caught as a moment in time", but not those that are staged. I do wish the contests would not permit "staged" shots. There is not as much creativity and challenge in those and. as a result, while the photo may look lovely, it doesn't touch the deeper inner chord of the viewer.
Staging and photography go hand in hand. A typical landscape looks best early in the morning or late in the afternoon. So, we all try to stage around this concept, try to frame objects that fit conventional ideas (rule of thirds etc). Very few dare to step out.

While you may be talking about artificially prepared shots, for example, dressing up a pet to take a photo of the pet, we do get to vote based on logic over emotions. But it also leaves room for people to be creative with staging. And even when they aren't, we could still vote based on our perception of quality of the presentation.

In assignment threads, for example, we don't compete for votes. The idea is to try explore specific areas and possibly learn from it. Meson's contribution in "Time Lapse" is a great example. I've seen several pictures using the idea but never tried it myself. So, the idea isn't original, but that it occurred to Meson, that it would fit right in, and that an attempt was made, now prompts me to try it, and possibly learn from it.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:56 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
EinsteinsGhost, I see what you mean. It does open up the scope to all levels of proficiency, from the beginner with a point and shoot digital camera, to the professional with lots of lenses, filters, and know-how. As a photography forum, it's right that it meets the needs of people at all levels. I totally understand, and support that.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Since June marks the start of summer, how about summer in your hometown?
I didn't read anyone else's comments yet, but I like the idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests