Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:56 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
As an avid photographer, I think the photos look great.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:31 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,207 times
Quote:
As an avid photographer, I think the photos look great. I'm wondering what your frame of reference is for your comments?
He's probably jealous that his pictures never come out looking that good

Old 09-11-2010, 10:40 AM

422 posts, read 792,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
He's probably jealous that his pictures never come out looking that good
Someone can take a pic with a blackberry, spend several hours on photoshop, and you wouldnt be able to tell that they didnt use a 1Ds and a 70-200 2.8L.

The people that use photoshop are the ones jealous that they wish they were photographers, and could take a decent photo without having to use tools to perfect it.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:50 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
Someone can take a pic with a blackberry, spend several hours on photoshop, and you wouldnt be able to tell that they didnt use a 1Ds and a 70-200 2.8L.

The people that use photoshop are the ones jealous that they wish they were photographers, and could take a decent photo without having to use tools to perfect it.
Um, sorry, no. Wrong, on all accounts. But of course, that's just my opinion.

I don't want to derail this thread any further, but I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would love to see examples of your photography so that we understand a bit more where you are coming from. Maybe you can start a thread with some of your work.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Um, sorry, no. Wrong, on all accounts. But of course, that's just my opinion.

I don't want to derail this thread any further, but I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would love to see examples of your photography so that we understand a bit more where you are coming from. Maybe you can start a thread with some of your work.
I'm a photojournalist, and in my industry, using photoshop to "doctor" a photo will lead to your immediate termination. Publications can lose all credibility if their photos are seen as edited. Cropping is generally allowed, as long as dead space is the only thing cropped.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
The saturation wasn't upped at all. In fact, most of these are SOOC. The sky in Napa Valley is unreal. We couldn't believe how clear and blue it was. My friend had only her point and shoot and was able to get unbelievable pictures there. You should take a trip there and see for yourself!
I've been, in 2007. I agree, the sky is perfect and has no clouds. The colors in those shots just look unnatural. The sky seems "too blue", and the same with the rest of the colors. It just seems that the saturation was changed. If it's true that nothing was edited, than it should be a compliment.

Some people seem to be taking offense to my comments. Notice the words "seems", "looks", "appears". I wasn't accusing anyone of anything, simply speculating that it is possible that they were edited.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I'm a photojournalist, and in my industry, using photoshop to "doctor" a photo will lead to your immediate termination. Publications can lose all credibility if their photos are seen as edited. Cropping is generally allowed, as long as dead space is the only thing cropped.
First of all, photojournalism is a specialized niche of photography. It's absurd to think that all photography should conform to news-desk standards. Secondly, I see nothing in these shots to suggest that they were overly processed. You could set in-camera settings on almost modern camera to produce JPGS like this straight out of the camera. It doesn't sound like you know much about photography outside of the photojournalistic arena. Please feel free to prove me wrong by demonstrating your photographic techniques IN A DIFFERENT THREAD. Thank you.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
First of all, photojournalism is a specialized niche of photography. It's absurd to think that all photography should conform to news-desk standards. Secondly, I see nothing in these shots to suggest that they were overly processed. You could set in-camera settings on almost modern camera to produce JPGS like this straight out of the camera. It doesn't sound like you know much about photography outside of the photojournalistic arena. Please feel free to prove me wrong by demonstrating your photographic techniques IN A DIFFERENT THREAD. Thank you.
I have no need to prove anything. When someone posts photos on a forum, they are soliciting comments. I posted my feedback, and that's all I intend to do. If you don't agree, that's fine.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I have no need to prove anything. When someone posts photos on a forum, they are soliciting comments. I posted my feedback, and that's all I intend to do. If you don't agree, that's fine.
Concerning your feedback to the OP, I simply asked you for your frame of reference. It was the following comment that I found most surprising.

Quote:

That is simply wrong, on so many levels.

Last edited by kdog; 09-11-2010 at 11:58 AM..

Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
I'm votin with KDOG on this one.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography