Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:45 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times

Advertisements

I picked up my son's senior pictures 2 days ago and once home, looked at them in natural lighting (as opposed to the dimly lit room at the studio) and saw that the finish is extremely pocked (not technical, I know) and very shiney, making it difficult to "see" the actual picture. It's especially bad and obvious on the face area.

I called the photographer (who I have used 2 other times and very very happy with; the last time 8 years ago) and stated I was less than thrilled with the results (cost was not cheap). His response was, sorry, you picked it. AS I explained that I only saw my finish in a "recessed ceiling lights and blinds drawn" room so I had no idea it would be this pocked looking in natural light, he responded in the same. After some "bantering" if you will, with me telling him my previous encounters hadn't resulted in pictures like this, he said he does not use that finish anymore because too many people scanned his work illegally so he has to use this "pitted" canvas paper now...????????

I hate it. Everytime I look at the pictures I see holes and glare with my son's face behind it.

Can anyone understand what I'm talking about and explain what happened? The shame is, the poses are stellar....it's the paper it's printed on that is disappointing.....

Thx for any suggestions/thoughts as I'm calling him back to discuss this further. Hung up not happy today ):
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 10:29 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Tell him you want the prints on standard paper, or you will return the prints for a full refund. The fact that he had a problem with people scanning his work is HIS problem, not yours. You should not be punished for his problem. Barring that, and depending on how much he charged, I would take him to small claims court. I've never heard of this pock-marked paper before. I don't think a judge would have any problem deciding in your favor if you've got some kind of weird non-standard prints.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I've never heard of this pock-marked paper before.

I've heard of it but have never seen it, probably faceted in some way to deflect light.

I'd have to agree. I'd seek standard prints or demand a refund.

It's amazing that someone would knowingly degrade their work to prevent copying. At most I might see using this paper for samples and explain the degraded quality.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
I'm going to guess that he's an older photographer, isn't he? The transition from "analogue to digital" hasn't been smooth for those who have been in the business for many years.

The "old school" way of doing business was to take a photo, and then require people to come back to you and pay you each time they want a print of it. Then came scanners... then came other digi-gizmos that allowed people to copy/Photoshop/edit their pics and reprint them themselves. In order to avoid lawsuits, many stores (Wal-mart, etc) will refuse to allow you to copy a pic if they feel it's from a "professional source" and not one you took, but as gear gets cheaper and cheaper, more and more folks can now do this from home.

He needs to adapt. You can't do business the old school way anymore. It's getting to where if you're paranoid about people scanning/copying your work, you can't give them sub-par prints in order to avoid it. Just charge more, give them the CD/DVD and release it. The world economy is changing and this DOES include the photography business, too. He hasn't realized it yet.

Ditto to the other suggestions about asking him for standard print paper and getting a refund if he refuses.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:34 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Perma-Jet ultra pearl 295 paper. I saw a photo done with it and wouldn't hang one in an outhouse. I agree with the other posters, go back and demand either your prints on quality paper, or a full refund.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I am not sure what paper was used but there is possibility that the photograph used one of this prints finish: ... ( read here)

Lustre coating and three textures provide extra protection to your photographic prints. This lustre coating not only protects, but will also give your prints a more matte look versus an uncoated print. For other ways to enhance photographic prints choose from linen, pebble or embassy textures. These textures also help to prevent clients from scanning your images.

Lustre Coating- Our environmentally safe, water based coating provides protection and a slightly matte appearance to your prints.
Machine Textures- We offer three textures on prints up to 24x30 in size. These are embossed textures that can add dramatically to your images.
Linen- As our most popular, this fine linen texture is perfect for both smaller and larger prints.
Pebble- A medium to heavy pebble texture, this surface works very well for larger prints sizes.
Embassy- This surface is a combination of the linen and pebble textures resulting in a unique and upscale appearance to your prints.
Professional Photo Texture & Coating | WHCC

Old 11-09-2010, 04:31 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Perma-Jet ultra pearl 295 paper. I saw a photo done with it and wouldn't hang one in an outhouse. I agree with the other posters, go back and demand either your prints on quality paper, or a full refund.
It does sound like the Perma-Jet paper. A brief review of the paper can be found here. Technical info from the company can be found here.

I agree you should be able to go back and get a full refund for the prints. However, if you did sign a contract with him, I'd suggest reading over the contract carefully to see if there is anything in the contract that specifically lists the type of paper or printing that would be used for the photos. I'd also look to see what the terms and conditions are regarding print review and returns.

If there was no contract, that is you and your son walked in, paid a sitting fee and did not sign any documentation, then you may have a stronger case in Small Claims Court as he did not provide you with sufficient material to explain the print process and what products would be used to render the prints.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
Thanks everyone! I could find nothing on this via google so your posts were all appreciated....

As for the type of paper, I talked to the salesman at the studio today and he said they began using this textured paper two years ago, no one uses it and it sets them apart from all other photography studios in the area....no kidding...none of the other results my friends kids have had resembles this at all...and that's nothing to brag about!

Anyways, why does this textured paper show so poorly on faces which is what bothers us the most? When the light hits it right, it looks like there are raised dots/holes depending on the angle, all over his face and when the light hits it just right, you see a white dots...how's that for a description?

I was told they would do it over for 50 MORE dollars but all they use is textured paper with a greater or lesser degree of roughness, so I'm afraid satisfaction may not be possible....

I do have a sil atty in my back pocket who may have to give the studio a call....which is unfortunate because the poses are gorgeous.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,452 times
As a photographer, I must say that he should have explained the texture or paper used in advance but it is a necessary evil to try and protect your work against folks who think they can purchase ONE print and reproduce as many as they wish short changing the artist who spent their time, money and education to make portraits in an effort to earn a living. As the originally post'er stated the work was nice so he has clearly earned the right to protect it. All the major labs offer textures. It's pretty standard.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:17 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am not sure what paper was used but there is possibility that the photograph used one of this prints finish: ... ( read here)

Lustre coating and three textures provide extra protection to your photographic prints. This lustre coating not only protects, but will also give your prints a more matte look versus an uncoated print. For other ways to enhance photographic prints choose from linen, pebble or embassy textures. These textures also help to prevent clients from scanning your images.

Lustre Coating- Our environmentally safe, water based coating provides protection and a slightly matte appearance to your prints.
Machine Textures- We offer three textures on prints up to 24x30 in size. These are embossed textures that can add dramatically to your images.
Linen- As our most popular, this fine linen texture is perfect for both smaller and larger prints.
Pebble- A medium to heavy pebble texture, this surface works very well for larger prints sizes.
Embassy- This surface is a combination of the linen and pebble textures resulting in a unique and upscale appearance to your prints.
Professional Photo Texture & Coating | WHCC

Those finishes have been around for years, LONG before digital. They would not cause her problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography