Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 11:40 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahpsuth View Post
Attachment 7633I love all those moon shots. I found this one taken by Apollo16 in 1972 of the far side of the moon which we never see.
That thing looks like an ancient peach I found in the back of my refrigerator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 12:48 PM

148 posts, read 419,255 times
It's the far side, we can always see the nice side.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:45 PM

136 posts, read 778,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Hey, yours looks great too! The TC2X may be pushing it though. I think the generally accepted wisdom is that the TC1.4X is really as far as you can push the 400 F5.6 without losing quality.

I finally broke down and got myself a tripod. Here's the 400 F5.6 with the TC1.4. 100% crop.
Another great moonshot. I gave up moonshots, and high-resolution astroimaging in general, in order to concentrate more on fainter widefield targets. For example:
Telescope Reviews: M42 in disguise

Old 09-15-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss58yy View Post
Another great moonshot. I gave up moonshots, and high-resolution astroimaging in general, in order to concentrate more on fainter widefield targets. For example:
Telescope Reviews: M42 in disguise

Ahem. You sir, are in another league. Unbelievable images on your website.

I've been thinking of trying a little astrophotography. We just moved to AZ (from Rockland County, NY, BTW), and we get some pretty clear skies out here. I figured I'd need some kind of equatorial mount. Then I saw your reference to a "barn door tracker", I googled around, and maybe that's a good way to get started. Is that a good forum to join to learn about this stuff? Thanks.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:13 PM

136 posts, read 778,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

Ahem. You sir, are in another league. Unbelievable images on your website.

I've been thinking of trying a little astrophotography. We just moved to AZ (from Rockland County, NY, BTW), and we get some pretty clear skies out here. I figured I'd need some kind of equatorial mount. Then I saw your reference to a "barn door tracker", I googled around, and maybe that's a good way to get started. Is that a good forum to join to learn about this stuff? Thanks.
The pictures on that website are all old ones taken with the barndoor tracker. The more recent images are still waiting to be uploaded to Pbase, once I get a chance (I've been busy getting a 2nd home in the last few months). Note that I'm still a beginner at astrophotography, trying to move up into an intermediate skill level.

-----------------------------------

"Cloudy Nights" would be the best forum (in English) to get info about astrophotography.

There are two main branches of Astrophotograpy:

- photon-starved DSO imaging, requiring multiple long accurately-tracked exposures with autoguiding, and special combining techniques to improve the s/n ratio.

- panetary/lunar/solar imaging that uses extraordinary techniques to improve image resolution, despite the atmospheric turbulence.

The Barndoor + DSLR + camera lens (assuming you already have a DSLR and lenses) would be a good cheap way to start down the DSO imaging path, while you gain imaging experience and study what to purchase next. This would normally be a small APO refractor plus a good photographic tracking mount (like the Astro-physics AP900 or AP1200), along with a guidescope and autoguider and suitable filters.

Note that these two branches of astrophotography usually require totally different imaging setups: DSOs need a great mount, a decent scope, and an highly-efficient imaging camera, preferably with a large sensor, along with provisions for autoguiding, and perhaps narrowband filters.

Planetary imaging needs a big scope capable of high resolution, a mediocre tracking mount (that automatically provides "dithering"), a webcam or video cam (probably with a small sensor) that can grab thousands of images in a minute, and then special software to select and combine the luicky images that were grabbed between "twinkles" of the atmosphere. (I know very little about planetary imaging, BTW.)

Old 09-15-2007, 08:34 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
I thought I had posted in this thread, but I realized I posted this same shot in another thread.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:52 PM

I like it, Claire! Nice composition and good exposure. I love the way the moon seems to be floating in front of the clouds.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss58yy View Post
The pictures on that website are all old ones taken with the barndoor tracker. The more recent images are still waiting to be uploaded to Pbase, once I get a chance (I've been busy getting a 2nd home in the last few months). Note that I'm still a beginner at astrophotography, trying to move up into an intermediate skill level. [...]
Thanks for all the great info. For a beginner, you're sure doing some great work.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Tonight's moon

Sorry, just had to post this. I believe this is technically my best moon shot ever. I took several shots, and they all came out well tonight. The funny thing is I shot the moon last night, took dozens of shots, and they weren't up to par. I can't believe the lighting was that much different in one day. I did take this shot at dusk, and last night's failures were late at night. So moon position may have played a factor, and of course the atmosphere is always a wildcard.

Anyway, without further ado is tonight's moon.

Thanks for looking,
Kdog

Old 09-20-2007, 04:22 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Now that is a GREAT shot....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography