Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 12:12 PM

624 posts, read 1,072,929 times

Advertisements

Could you tell me the best resource for learning to take great photos?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:27 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,581,039 times
Can't give you any specific resources but I can offer this: practice, practice, practice. Books, seminars, tours will all be helpful but practice will bring experience. No two shots will be the same.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:33 PM

24 posts, read 50,410 times
Theres nothing that you can do that will replace practice, I agree. A class or a book or two will get you on your way, but developing a unique and interesting style will undoubtedly be the best think that you can do to become a great photographer. That being said I'm sure there are tons of tutorials on google to help you learn the basics. Are you going to be taking digital or film shots?

Old 05-31-2011, 02:00 PM

10,215 posts, read 17,909,615 times
The best way to learn is from your own mistake - get feedback from experienced photographers on your work. Also pick up some books like Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books or Amazon.com: Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3 (9780321678737): Scott Kelby: Books

There are plenty of websites out there with tips and tutorials, the problem is, there's no real structure or curriculum to them. So if you're looking for something specific like "how to use fill flash", you're golden. But they don't really give you a starting point like a book or a class might so you don't necessarily know where to look first on those websites.

It would also help if you focused on one type of photography at a time. What do you shoot the most? Say it's landscapes - pick up a book on landscapes and once you feel like you've got the hang of it, try something else like portraits. There's so much to learn about all the different types of photography, it can be a bit overwhelming so narrowing it down to one field at a time can help.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:39 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,927,825 times
From your other post on which camera to purchase, it looks like you're looking at some decent cameras. I picked up a D5000 last year and there are aspects of it I've already outgrown but don't have the money to buy another, yet.

The first book I would consider purchasing is one that explains the camera, other than the manual that comes with it. I bought the D5000 for Dummies to understand my new camera and have been exploring other options on how to take a good photo.

It may be difficult to understand some of what is discussed in a book on how to take a good photo if you first don't understand your new camera and basic photo terminology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography