Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:46 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,755 times

Advertisements

The Weather Channel was showing the awful devastation that some people sustained this weekend as a result of the recent tornados in some areas , and I was again reminded that I need to get off my buns and update the photos of my personal belongings for insurance purposes.

Would a disposable camera be good for this kind of thing? I don't want to have to learn the ins and outs of digital photography right now; I just want to click, get a hard copy, and store the photos in my safe. Would a disposable camera be the way to go, and does anyone have a suggestion concerning a particular brand?

Many, many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 09:12 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,173,290 times
I don't see why not, just go to Walgreen or one of those places and get one. Develop it and it's a done deal. Just take couple pictures of the same thing (twice) to make sure they'll come out. Get 400 film and you're set!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:33 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times
I'd get a second set printed and give them to someone outside your house, just in case.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:58 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,175,378 times
I think a video camera is more useful for this type thing.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:01 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
A video camera is good, but a small "point and shoot" digital camera can also be used with good results. With such a digital camera you can take close-ups of jewelry, coins, and other small items, as well as regular photos of anything else in the house. Best of all, you can download the pictures to your computer, burn CD's of the pictures and give those to the insurance company, print them straight from the camera if you want, etc. Something else: there are database programs, some which are very cheap, that allow you to enter all your household items' description, serial numbers, condition, cost, etc. I use a Macintosh computer, and use one that cost me $20.00, and I can import the pictures right into the database, in the same page as the data for the item. I am certain that PC users have such available to them, too.

There are lots of point and shoot 4MP digital cameras for around $150.00.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:12 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Such angels! Thank you one and all for responding. For this particular situation, I think I'll go with a disposable and get two sets of prints. Again, thank you one and all!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-11-2008, 02:37 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,101,471 times
If you take pictures, make sure the date is also printed on the picture or a little trick is place the photos on a newspaper that is showing the date. this will verify how old your pictures were.

One other good tip is use one of those free photo albums online (i use PHOTOBUCKET.com)to store your pictures that way you will have them no matter what happens to the actual prints. along with burning my pictures to a disc, i keep my favorites in my online photo library that way i can access them anytime and anyplace on any computer that's online.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:17 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Also....after getting the 2nd set....the BEST place to keep it is at your Insurance Agents Office

Old 03-11-2008, 03:29 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,101,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Also....after getting the 2nd set....the BEST place to keep it is at your Insurance Agents Office
True but i'd still keep a copy somewhere else because you never know if the agency might "lose" them.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:38 PM

515 posts, read 1,833,002 times
I'm going to have to do some digging, (it was on my old PC, I never transfered it) but there is some software that is made just for this senario. I think it was called "Home Inventory" You can upload pics and match serial numbers and its sorts it by room, price value ect.

I look for it when I have some time, it was nice software. Kinda makes me wish I would have trasfered it over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography