Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,106,591 times

Advertisements

For roughly 10+years or more, I've been shooting photos. Some have gone on to become marketable products, some are simply adornments on my own wall.

In that time, I've utilized 'poor-man' versions of Photoshop...essentially for handling RAW files, sharpening, and cropping/resizing.

I am in a position now I am considering purchasing Adobe Photoshop - should I wait for a new version that will come out inevitably (knowing Murphy and his law, the day after I purchase the old)? Those who utilize this program for your photos...in all honesty, is it worth it? The price does make me squirm a bit - but I am frugal to a fault. Will it get used to justify the cost? Yes..I've no doubt.

Not that it intimidates me...but I do not have much patience to sit for a long while working on photos. Is it fairly quick and easy to learn? I've perused some literature, glanced at tutorial videos, etc. I learn fairly easily...but if one has to sit and spend a day editing photos (on a realistic basis and of course considering how many photos are shot)...not certain that element would be something to justify the cost.

I do like the editing styles I've seen thus far utilizing this program. There are many photos I've shot that had some element I so wish I could've changed (i.e. a power line that couldn't be got around). That small detail has caused me to dump otherwise fairly good shots.

If you could tell me what appeals to you - those who use this - or if the cons outweigh the pros...I'd appreciate it immensely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 01:21 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
For roughly 10+years or more, I've been shooting photos. Some have gone on to become marketable products, some are simply adornments on my own wall.

In that time, I've utilized 'poor-man' versions of Photoshop...essentially for handling RAW files, sharpening, and cropping/resizing.

I am in a position now I am considering purchasing Adobe Photoshop - should I wait for a new version that will come out inevitably (knowing Murphy and his law, the day after I purchase the old)? Those who utilize this program for your photos...in all honesty, is it worth it? The price does make me squirm a bit - but I am frugal to a fault. Will it get used to justify the cost? Yes..I've no doubt.

Not that it intimidates me...but I do not have much patience to sit for a long while working on photos. Is it fairly quick and easy to learn? I've perused some literature, glanced at tutorial videos, etc. I learn fairly easily...but if one has to sit and spend a day editing photos (on a realistic basis and of course considering how many photos are shot)...not certain that element would be something to justify the cost.

I do like the editing styles I've seen thus far utilizing this program. There are many photos I've shot that had some element I so wish I could've changed (i.e. a power line that couldn't be got around). That small detail has caused me to dump otherwise fairly good shots.

If you could tell me what appeals to you - those who use this - or if the cons outweigh the pros...I'd appreciate it immensely!
Hey, young lady! Where have you been?

Yes, I would buy CS5 considering that a lot of photographers are still using CS3 Then, if you have the extra cash, there are two books that I highly recommend to anybody who does not have the time or want to take a PhotoShop training class:

a. Marting Evening "Adobe PhotoShop CS5 for Photographers
b. Scott Kelby "the photoshop CS5 book for digital photographers"

The first one contains comprehensive instructions on how to use CS5 (nearly 800 pages), plus a DVD that include photos and step-by-step training. The latter has nearly 400 pages on instructions, but does not explain as many details as the first, although it's easier to follow. I got both.

Now, about CS5: it comes with Camera Raw, and an application to download your photos from your camera into the computer. With Camera Raw, you can edit a RAW image the way you want, all before you open the photo fully and it shows on the screen.

Keep in mind that if you decide to take a PhotoShop class at the "U," you can buy CS5 Extended for $199.00 from Adobe (student discount), and kill two birds with one stone.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:32 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
The question of whether to buy CS5 now or wait for CS6 is an easy one. Buy now. The reason is that after your initial purchase, getting updates for future versions is cheap by comparison. I know some good photographers that rarely upgrade, only when absolutely necessary. I tried that approach and finally decided to keep up with the latest versions. Each version is always incrementally better than the previous, not only in new features, but also in performance.

The way I look at Photoshop is that you don't buy it, you rent it. Adobe has you paying and paying for it forever. But that's kind of the way of the world. You don't keep your car or your cameras forever either. You continually upgrade. That's just the way it is. For example, you mentioned removing extraneous elements from your pictures such as powerlines. CS5 has some "content aware" features that really speed up the task of removing extraneous elements from your shots. Time is money, and so this feature alone makes that upgrade worth it for me. It seems like every new version has some compelling new feature that I'm going to want eventually anyway. So I may as well bite the bullet and keep current and get to use those features now rather than waiting for later. That's my conclusion anyway. It's a personal thing though. Your mileage may vary, and all that.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Have you tried some of the cheaper or even free editors? Gimp? I'm not putting down PS but one of the reasons Adobe PS is used by professionals is because of proprietary files like .AI, they really have no choice if they want to easily work with these files in the professional community.

I'd also suggest it's more than you need, all software hits a wall at some point where the features begin to go beyond what most people need. I bought a video editing suite back in '03 that was about $800. I can do almost just as much with a $50 editor today.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:55 AM

106,681 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i bet i can still get by on version 1 for the bulk of what i do. in fact until this past year i didnt even own it.

to be honest i still do 90% of my editing in nikon capture nx2 and find that much better and faster for raw editing where i dont have to edit pixels directly. i really only use lightroom for catalog organizing as well.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:01 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Ligntroom is a great alternative to PSCS5. You can't do everything that PS can, but chance are it will be all you need. It's also less expensive.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:13 AM

lightroom is very basic in the sense if you like to play with any of the filters like those from topaz or nik you really have no way of adding or removing effects from spots easily.

i think anyone who uses a nikon camera will do far better and much easier to learn with nikons own capture nx2 which is really written by nik.

the color point system it uses based on nik viveza is as good and easy as spot editing gets. its also the only software that can actually read the internal settings you utilize in a nikon camera in raw.

things like saturation,sharpness,picture profiles,contrast are all read by the software in raw. thats something no other software is capable of.
adobe camera raw tries to mimic some of the nikon picture profiles after the fact in the software but it cant actually duplicate your exact settings.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:46 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Nik Software plug-ins for PS are the best I have ever used. They do some amazing things, and so simple to use.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:10 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
I love Lightroom an hope to get Nik program....I have PShop but rarely use it now.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Nik Software plug-ins for PS are the best I have ever used. They do some amazing things, and so simple to use.
they are soooooo much easier to use from within nik's cature nx2. the things you can do because its all nik based are just short of amazing. so much more ability far easier from within the program.

i have both the color efex for photoshop and nx2. nx2 is superior in every way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography