Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 09:27 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times

Advertisements

I've already got a (extremely) cheap set of studio lights and looking to upgrade to something with a lot more control.

I've used both Alien Bees and Bowens in various capacities and am having a hard time deciding which setup to go with.

I'm leaning towards Bowens only because it looks like they have more accessories, and more brands of remote triggers are compatible with them. But the physical durability of the Alien Bees is pretty attractive too as I do intend on using them outdoors in some hard to reach spots.

Any one have opinions on either set?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I have both Alien Bees and Calumet Travelites (made by Bowens I believe). I like the Bees because they're so lightweight, but the Travelites are made waaaaaaaay better imho. I recommend both to people, but Alien Bees for their low price and light weight. For quality, I think Bowens is an easy pick over the Bees.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:03 PM

Have you used Alien Bees with any external battery packs? Bowens seems to push their battery packs and the lights compatibilities with the packs.

But I've never seen Alien Bees actually have an external pack.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:39 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I've not, but there is a battery pack made expressly for the Alien Bees -- the Vagabond Mini. It's actually their 3rd generation pack. Have you checked their website? $240.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:29 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Everybody I know shoots with AB's or White Lightnings. I still shoot with multiple speedlights. But if I was in the market today, I'd get Einsteins. All three of those are designed by the same guy, BTW. Paul Buff.

I'm curious about the comment of Bowens having more accessories and working with more wireless remotes. Frankly I find that hard to believe. Got any examples of that?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

I'm curious about the comment of Bowens having more accessories and working with more wireless remotes. Frankly I find that hard to believe. Got any examples of that?
Just gut feeling based on the number of wireless remotes that specifically say that they work with Bowens vs. Alien Bees, and multiple searches across eBay, Amazon, B&H, and several other websites for accessories for both products.

I could be wrong, as I know little about studio lighting. You don't really need to know much when working with landscapes. But I find myself ending up doing more and more studio work, so it's time to make the leap.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
I checked the popular flash remotes and can't find any that work with Bowen and not Alien Bee. PocketWizard and Radio Popper are the two biggies out there and they certainly do. But even my cheapy Yongnuo remote triggers work with Alien Bees. Honestly, unless there's a proprietary remote made by Bowen's themselves, I don't think there exists a remote trigger that works on Bowen and not Alien Bee. Given the size of Alien's marketshare, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

From looking at Bowen's lineup of strobes, I think it's pretty clear they're targeted towards high end professional studios that run them all day long. They're obviously built well, but are very pricey. Alien Bees and the other Paul Buff strobes seem geared more towards the enthusiasts like us. Just my two cents.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,141 times
all my stuff is from the AB people. i haven't used bowens.

ABs are built nice and solid, have tons of mods and the vagabond mini is great. they also have one of the nicest and most helpful customer service depts i've ever encountered anywhere.

all your wireless triggers should work on them too

plus i love that they have annoying and obnoxious colors. all my strobes are bright pink and green. always gets laughs :P

Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 PM

Thank you all for the help!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,297 times
I can recommend Multiblitz Studio Lighting - German company, quality stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography