Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,893 times

Advertisements

I received an email through Flickr from a representative of a large, well-known publisher who said one of my photos is in contention for a cover of an upcoming fiction book they are doing. The subject of the photo is general landscape. She wants me to email her back so she can send me a jpeg of the cover, and upon approval from the author, she said we could discuss usage fees. While I am excited about the prospect, I have never sold one of my photos and would like some general guidance on how to approach this. I haven't sent her an email yet, so I'm not sure if they would be buying the exclusive rights to the photo or not. Should I use an attorney if they decide to use mine? What kind of money does this type of usage usually generate? How would you go about doing this? Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,774,174 times
Well, I'd be excited too, but I'd also be asking more than a few questions. Why? There are plenty of scam artists out there. And YES I think I'd have an attorney on board. You can't be too careful.

1. How did they find you on Flickr? Somehow I can't see a 'well known publishing house' surfing on Flickr for images for their publications. Book publications, have all that decided long before printing begins.

2. Since the company is well known, contact them, and give them the name of the person who contacted you and make sure that the person is legitimate, and that they did indeed contact you. Again, call the COMPANY and get verfication of this person's legitimacy.

Don't do anything without dotting the i's and crossing the t's and taking all steps to make sure you are protected.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback. The contact gave me her email address for further communication, and it is based at this company's website. I did some quick searching and found that this lady is the senior art designer for the publisher. There are numerous articles about her online, including workshops she has led and articles from when she was with another popular publishing group. I sent her an email this afternoon and am waiting on a response. The company is from across the pond so it will likely be tomorrow before I hear back. Don't many of the publishers and stock photography companies have accounts with Flickr in order to contact photographers? Either way, I should know more tomorrow, as she said she would send me more info, as well as discuss permissions fees "if we go forward with the project". I have done some research so far and found most cover photos for smaller distribution generally go for $500 and up. I guess it would be better to let her explain how exactly they want to use the photo, details of the book, and then tell me what they are willing to pay? I know I won't be retiring soon if this happens, but I want to make sure nobody gets ripped off. This also seems to be a great way to get established if I want to pursue photography as a side business. Thanks again.

Last edited by PeytonC; 06-11-2012 at 08:13 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,813,684 times
How exciting, Peyton! I hope this all works out well for you.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:57 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Don't many of the publishers and stock photography companies have accounts with Flickr in order to contact photographers?
That is not my understanding of the publishing and stock industries but maybe things are changing. Traditionally, publishers either hire someone to specifically shoot what photo they are looking for or they use stock images. Searching non-stock photography and approaching the photographer comes across as unprofessional to me (up until now, I have only seen this in self publishing) but like I say, things could be changing. If publishers are seeing that they can get great images from hobbyists for less than what they normally pay, I wouldn't put it past them.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:28 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
I have one photo that spread around the internet virally and made me a lot of money. That included being the cover photo for an advertising brochure and a couple of websites. Not to mention a ton of print sales. So it *can* happen. Although this was a once-in-a-lifetime kind of shot. I've posted it here before, so you've probably all seen it.

So unless your photo is something very unique and remarkable, I'd proceed with caution. If they ask you for any money then you know it's a scam!

How about posting it here so we can see?

Old 06-13-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
How exciting, Peyton! I hope this all works out well for you.

Thanks! So do I. I haven't heard back from her yet, so I expect she is either very busy, or they have possibly decided on another route. I may be too anxious too, awaiting word too quickly. Either way, it was neat to have interest shown on one of my photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So unless your photo is something very unique and remarkable, I'd proceed with caution. If they ask you for any money then you know it's a scam!
Without question! I am the last person to be taken by a scammer. I never send money for anything I didn't initiate. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
How about posting it here so we can see?
Okay, here is a low-resolution example of the photo. She said they are looking for a seasonal photo of this location, so it is specific to what they want, but not extraordinarily remarkable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	196
Size:	589.6 KB
ID:	97048

Old 06-14-2012, 02:20 AM

414 posts, read 1,095,364 times
That's great! Good for you!

I was recently contacted about one of my flickr photos for use in an advertising campaign for a major private jet company, because I happened to have some photos of airport landing strips which they wanted to use, superimposing my images into their cockpit images to make it look like they were landing at various airports large and small.

Made roughly $1,000 off the deal (for a single image I took off-hand several years ago), so that was awesome! I thought it was a scam too. I even tagged it as spam and forgot about it until the lady sent emails to my business partner and our contractors asking how to get ahold of me to license the photo. She allowed me to write up the contract (which I did with guidance from my lawyer), which stated that the image was for use in that single publication and that future use would be negotiated under a separate contract.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecda View Post
That's great! Good for you!

I was recently contacted about one of my flickr photos for use in an advertising campaign for a major private jet company, because I happened to have some photos of airport landing strips which they wanted to use, superimposing my images into their cockpit images to make it look like they were landing at various airports large and small.

Made roughly $1,000 off the deal (for a single image I took off-hand several years ago), so that was awesome! I thought it was a scam too. I even tagged it as spam and forgot about it until the lady sent emails to my business partner and our contractors asking how to get ahold of me to license the photo. She allowed me to write up the contract (which I did with guidance from my lawyer), which stated that the image was for use in that single publication and that future use would be negotiated under a separate contract.
Awesome for you! Thanks for the useful example, sounds like this might get profitable if they use my photo. Publisher emailed me back on their "company letterhead" and said the sales team & author are going over a few photos, along with mine, and they will let me know something in the next few days. Your experience is helpful in knowing some of my options if this goes forward. I will keep you guys posted.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post

Okay, here is a low-resolution example of the photo. She said they are looking for a seasonal photo of this location, so it is specific to what they want, but not extraordinarily remarkable.

Attachment 97048
I think that photo is great! Im new to GA, came from Seattle area and we do not have a fall season. Last fall, and I wish I had my camera, but we were heading up to NC area and once we got into the mountains, saw dozens of patches of color, but no good shots like yours. Amazing what we have out here!

Again, you captured that scene perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography