Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times

Advertisements

If I’m going to consider photography as another hobby, and then I spend $3500 for a complete DSLR kit, what use would that be if I hardly shoot photos? My photo collection on my hard drive is mostly vacation / travel photos, family memories, events [bike races, bmx shows, Air Shows, Halloween Parade, Gay Parade, etc.], my cars, restaurant food, my bicycles, me dressed up, and unusual photos like interesting license plates.

I don’t have an interest shooting birds, animals, flowers, or insects. I hardly do landscapes because I hardly travel to good scenes. Today I was thinking, “What can I shoot with my Sony camera now?” And all I could do was shoot my car, minivan, and neighborhood. So mostly I’m thinking, - “Let’s see what you can photograph before you spend more money in this hobby!” Like maybe I should just be happy with my $430 bridge camera. I’m thinking I should bike around Chicago with my camera in my backpack, for Chicago scenes. What else is there to photograph? What do you mostly take photos of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,113,556 times
Mostly landscape and automotive. I originally bought the camera to make a video for a kickstarter. I had no interest in photography before. Once I started I got hooked. Plan to move up to better camera and get some better gear.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 PM

743 posts, read 2,267,207 times
There are unlimited things to photograph
As a side job i do weddings mostly as the main photographer in my friends business as he does cinema style videos, weddings on my own, birthday parties, portraits of kids, infants, maternity = people

Free time
Anything I find of interest

Your bridge camera should be fine for your personal use or any other type of interest you may find

Old 12-03-2013, 11:49 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,492,012 times
Before you dump thousands of dollars into expensive camera gear that you'll never use, it's better to figure out what and how interested you really are/will be.

I don't do photography for a living -- I don't offer my stuff for sale to the general public. I do mostly travel photography (Fuzz Photography), and getting more into street stuff.

But you live in Chicago, one of the most photogenic cities around. Even besides the grand vistas, urban environments offer so many opportunities for shooting. I lived in Lincoln Park/Lakeview for 4 years and love shooting there whenever I get the chance (looking forward to going back in a few weeks)...

Old 12-04-2013, 12:53 AM

743 posts, read 2,267,207 times
Excellent images Fuzz
----------------------------------------------
I took this shot back in 2010 without my expensive gear in hand. I used a small PnS cam
SONY DSC-W70

Result

still have that lil cam btw

Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 AM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Completely random - whatever catch my interest. Still shy to picture people, because I am not sure how they will react to that...

Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times
I'm a people photographer but not portraits. I like to catch people in their natural state, I like to catch the human side of people, when they're not posing, pretending or expecting.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:40 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,479 times
Living in Colorado mostly landscapes, mountains, on hikes that sort of thing. Also getting more into night photography and possibly deep space astrophotography soon

Old 12-04-2013, 11:54 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,164,899 times
Jesse, I'm curious. Why are you considering photography as a hobby? Usually, investing in such an enormous amount of money for a hobby, is driven by a passion or more than a passing interest in it. What do you like about photography?

I am hooked on landscapes, nature, flowers... and criticized at home for not taking enough pictures of people. But like army guy above, I prefer to take candid shots rather than posed ones, and the trouble with most people, is when the camera comes out, they're acutely aware that they could become a victim and become self conscious, lol. OR they get their lipstick out or sit up straight!

Old 12-04-2013, 01:02 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times
It's a hobby as something to do... I'm impressed with some beautiful landscape photos on Flickr but I could never make those shots because you have to travel to them. I'll see what I can shoot getting by with my Sony DSC HX300 until summer 2014, maybe I'll have enough money by then saved up for a good dslr kit, and maybe the Canon 7D mk2 might come out by then.

I was thinking about making a blog of the beauty of women in skirt suits. So maybe I can hang around Downtown Chicago and shoot women in skirt suits. As for other photos, I don't know what else is interesting to shoot.

I've invested $39,000 in my bike hobby, so $3500 for a dslr kit is like the cost of one of my road bikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography