Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:13 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEmoveU View Post
branh0913, do you mind sharing a couple of your sample shots to let us know what genre you wish to improve in?
How much weight you don’t mind carrying along while you stroll through the streets?

I don't have any photos besides the ones from my phone camera and they look awful. I guess I could share them, but don't expect much. As far as weight, I can carry around a few pounds. I'm a big guy afterall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 11:20 AM

50 posts, read 103,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
...the ones from my phone camera and they look awful...
I don’t expect quality, especially for night time photography, from a sensor smaller than 1/2.3”, which is big for a cell phone. Don’t be ashamed. A sample would give everyone here a better idea of what genre you intend to shoot more and advise accordingly.
If it’s architecture or any stationary subjects, tripod and any camera with an APS-C size sensor will do the job. A kit zoom lens will suffice for starters.

Beach Place
Here’s a full size JPG: http://goo.gl/7Rrntj
Taken with an 8-year old camera (APS-C) and 18-70 kit lens.

If you wish to take images of people that aren’t going to pose for you, handheld, then your options will narrow down significantly if accurate auto focus is required.
EisteinsGhost gave a good advice. I’d look into Sony NEX system as a great compact solution within your price range. But, if a camera doesn’t have to be pocketable, you can get a similar performance with a slightly better AF and in-body image stabilization even cheaper. Search for Sony Alpha SLT-A58K, they retail for $450 with 18-55 lens.
BTW, manual focusing is actually quite easy at night with Sony electronic view finder and focus peaking.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:02 AM

50 posts, read 103,905 times
I don't see the option to edit the post. Here's the right link to the full size image: http://goo.gl/Wa3pRt
Mods, could you update my previous post and delete this one?

Old 05-29-2014, 12:26 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
I would Say Canon 120 a little pricey right now or a Sony RX 100 II
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography