Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 06:41 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times

Advertisements

I am still learning the intricacies of camera settings on my Sony RX100M3.

One point I still get confused on is light, specifically ISO and exposure value. If ISO is the shutters sensitivity to light, and exposure value is set based on certain situations (like lower value when facing the sun), how do the two work hand in hand when composing a shot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 10:03 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,101 times
Think of ISO like "gain". Aperture and Shutter speed are the most important when it comes to light, then ISO increases your sensor's sensitivity to light.

Think of exposure value like your override for the camera.

So if you were taking a picture of a hillside, and the camera at 0 EV (Exposure Value) said "I think the exposure should be Aperture f8 with shutter speed of 1/500).

You might take that picture and see that it's overexposed. You could adjust the EV to say -0.7, which is telling the camera "Nope, I appreciate your suggestion, but I want the picture to be underexposed by some amount from what you think it should be. The camera might then choose an aperture of f8 and shutter speed of 1/1000 (which would be underexpose or make the picture darker from the previous setting).

Does that all make sense?

Old 03-18-2015, 12:08 PM

That makes some sense. I noticed in Shutter Priority mode that when I set it for higher speed light gets dimmer. So would I adjust EV down a bit and leave ISO at auto?

Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
That makes some sense. I noticed in Shutter Priority mode that when I set it for higher speed light gets dimmer. So would I adjust EV down a bit and leave ISO at auto?
A higher shutter speed means less light, because the exposure is quicker. If you're trying to shoot at a higher shutter speed for whatever reason and want more "light" you could boost the ISO.

Generally speaking lower ISO is better due to less noise, more dynamic range, more contrast, etc.. High ISO is usually a last resort when you just need to get the picture in lower light conditions, or need to boost your shutter speed.

It would help to see some examples with the settings of the shots used (aperture, shutter speed, iso, etc..)

Old 03-22-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
A higher shutter speed means less light, because the exposure is quicker. If you're trying to shoot at a higher shutter speed for whatever reason and want more "light" you could boost the ISO.

Generally speaking lower ISO is better due to less noise, more dynamic range, more contrast, etc.. High ISO is usually a last resort when you just need to get the picture in lower light conditions, or need to boost your shutter speed.

It would help to see some examples with the settings of the shots used (aperture, shutter speed, iso, etc..)
A for instance - snow.

I have read to increase the exposure to whiten grey, as most cameras tend to fake themselves out when shooting snow pictures.

If ISO also has an effect on light, why wouldn't I turn up the ISO value instead?

Old 03-22-2015, 09:40 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
A for instance - snow.

I have read to increase the exposure to whiten grey, as most cameras tend to fake themselves out when shooting snow pictures.

If ISO also has an effect on light, why wouldn't I turn up the ISO value instead?
The reason you would not boost the ISO is because doing so increases the "noise" in the photograph. Which one generally tends to avoid

So to boost the exposure to make the snow white rather than grey, one decreases the shutter speed or increases the aperture or a combination. Only when cannot do either - say a concert in dark place where you already have the max aperture, and the shutter cannot go any lower without introducing hand-shake, do you start boosting ISO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography