Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 07:43 AM

42 posts, read 53,925 times

Advertisements

Where and how can I find good photographers on a budget?

What are the pros and cons of individual photographers vs portrait studios?

How do I go about it?
Yelp and facebook searches give so many results. Are there any other ways to find individual photographers?
I'm looking for family photo shoots outdoors.

Would you be able to tell me what is the general budget for family shoots? Does a higher budget mean a better photographer?

Pretty clueless and would appreciate any information as a starting point. Never had a photo session done before...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 08:30 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,033 times
There is a photography directory on PPA.com
You can look up photographers in your area. If they are too pricy they may be able to refer you to someone they know to fit your budget. Whomever you pick just ask for references and a portfolio.

In some rare occasions people just starting out try to pad their portfolio with pictures they didn't take. So you can check their portfolio against tineye.com or google's reverse image search. You can also see if they have been reported to Stop Stealing Photos.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:24 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
In some rare occasions people just starting out try to pad their portfolio with pictures they didn't take. So you can check their portfolio against tineye.com or google's reverse image search. You can also see if they have been reported to Stop Stealing Photos.
Great advice. But actually, it's incredibly common. Last time I checked, at least half the photographers advertising on Craigslist use stolen photos. I would strongly recommend Google image search over Tineye.

One other way to easily vet the sample images shown by photographers is to ask them to see more shots from the same shoot posted in a gallery on their own website. No photographer takes just one photo, there would have been (or should have been) numerous photos that were delivered to the client. Ask to see them. If they can't or won't produce more pictures from the same shoots, then move on.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:18 PM

I was checking PPA and there are so many. Are they rated or do they have any reviews like yelp? Or do I have to check each individually and contact each?
Also, studios (like jcp or sears) vs individual photographers, any pros and cons of each?

Old 07-07-2015, 05:32 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
PPA doesn't rate photographers, you need to do your own due-diligence on them. Of course, budget photographers aren't likely to be PPA members, nor are they likely to have Yelp reviews. Maybe the photo booths are big box stores might have Yelp reviews. Honestly, like everything in life, you get what you pay for. Good and Budget are typically mutually exclusive.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:11 PM

A difference would be places like Sears and JCP do not offer outdoor shoots. You will have to use one of their backgrounds.
On the PPA site you can sort by CPP certified and non-certified but that does not mean a non-certified photographer is bad.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:52 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Well, HONESTLY, we cannot find ONE good photographer here in Tampa.
I know it sounds preposterous, but it is very hard to tell who is really good, insured, didn't steal images or bought stock and pretend it was theirs, so we haven't been able to find someone yet...

The trouble is that there are no reviews...and then the other problem is that if the reviews come from people who don't understand "photography" then they're useless. I am a professional photographer, so naturally I have a whole set of things I expect from someone else calling themselves a pro.

Anyone can become a PPA member, so that's not really a guarantee of quality...nor customer service since I know how long it takes to process and deliver images to a client.

Then, some of their prices are out of control too...I am not being cheap, but without a guarantee of quality and knowledge that their portfolio is "really" theirs, it's hard to take the plunge...

It sucks for sure...

Old 07-12-2015, 10:42 AM

PhotoProIP are there any professional photography networking groups you could join? When I need work done I go to collegues that I have seen in action and know their work. makes it easier.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:04 AM

68 posts, read 95,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momandme View Post
Where and how can I find good photographers on a budget?

What are the pros and cons of individual photographers vs portrait studios?

How do I go about it?
Yelp and facebook searches give so many results. Are there any other ways to find individual photographers?
I'm looking for family photo shoots outdoors.

Would you be able to tell me what is the general budget for family shoots? Does a higher budget mean a better photographer?

Pretty clueless and would appreciate any information as a starting point. Never had a photo session done before...
I am a serious hobbyist photographer. I've been into photography for five years. I've attended 50 or so photography meetups, mostly led or taught by professional photographers. I've seen the work of several dozen professional photographers and fellow hobbyists.

One option for you to consider: join one or more photography meetup groups. Learn how to do basic photography and take the photos yourself. Or, you could get to know some photographers in a meetup group, look at the photos they post on the meetup site, then decide who you want to take your photos. I'm sure there would be somebody in a meetup group willing to do the work. Let's say your budget is $100. Ask one or more photographers what they can offer you for $100 worth of work.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:18 PM

thanks all
briloop thanks.. that sounds like a good idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography