Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 06:44 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times

Advertisements

I am just curious to know how many people on the forum are full time photographers?

Photography is the only thing in my life I am passionate about. I have neglected it for a full time job that well...pays the bills well.

Everyone who is close to me is always urging me to develop my skills more and pursue it as a career. Although the thought of it sounds fulfilling to my INFP personality, that rational part of my brain always says "Don't ditch a decent paying job for a career change to photography that you might not be able to pay the bills with." So I spend the majority of my time on my full time professional responsibilities, and every now and then I get out to photograph things or people of interest...but mostly that only happens when I have extra time (i.e. are on vacation). Yet I keep hearing from those closest to me things like, "Why aren't you fulfilling what really seems to be your purpose/what you enjoy doing?"

I wonder for those of you who do it full time...did you ever "lose" any of your passion for it? One of the things I find sacred (for lack of a better word) about any photography I do right now is that it's all about what I *want* to do...what I find beauty and appreciation in.

Anyways, I guess I'm slightly rambling a bit here...I guess I just wanted to (a) say that I truly admire the skill level of many of you on this forum, and (b) I wouldn't mind hearing more from those of you who do it as your profession (what led you to photography, how long you've been doing it, why you enjoy it, if you are able to support your lifestyle ok with it, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 11:33 AM

743 posts, read 2,270,120 times
Im on the same boat your in.. I do it as a part time job doing events here and there and being hired as a primary photographer by my friend, who is a full time photographer, while he takes care of the video at weddings. I have a lot of gear that i can be on my own if i wanted, but like you, im not leaving a very well paying job for full time photography. Unfortunately for me its weekend thing.. But im glad to say that all my gear has been paid by my part time photography jobs, which is a good thing

Old 04-29-2016, 12:01 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
In order for me to be successful in photography would require photographing 99% of what I hate about the business, your bread and butter, and enjoying only the 1% that I love.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:26 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
our daughter's friend started with a passion for photography, and started doing shoots on the side. Whether kid pix, specials like Mother's Day, etc and worked her FB with offers and sessions available. She's actually been able to get a decent amount of biz, and she seems to enjoy what she is doing (especially working with kids). Granted it may be easier for a single person in their 20's to do this, but it can be done.
She has a couple other friends doing similar things, more as a part time gig. Maybe that's the way to start and see if it works out and to get a true idea on what's all involved.
But i can see a point, that if this is a hobby that one enjoys, it can be tough to do all the other things to make it work as a profession that can still be enjoyed.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:11 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,203 times
I was a full-time photojournalist till I retired a couple of years ago. Got so bored that I am now freelancing for the paper I used to work for full time.

As for whether you can make a living as a photographer, it kind of depends on what type of photography you want to do.

At this time, I would NEVER recommend anyone going into photojournalism. There are too few jobs out there and the photoj schools are churning out photo grads by the hundreds. Almost any newspaper you can name has or is having massive layoffs of it's journalists, both writers and photographers.

However, I've heard from some people that sports team photography is very lucrative, though not as good as it used to be. The only problem there is getting an "in" to do the team photos. Many schools and leagues contract out their photo needs to established national sports photography companies.

Weddings, of course, can still be a good earner, but remember you need to carry massive liability insurance. One screw up can cost you thousands of dollars. And believe me, there is no one more angry that a bride or mother who now has no photos of their child's wedding.

As for commercial or portrait photography, it's a dying field. There are still jobs out there, but it takes a lot of work, and I mean spending 40-60 hours a week making cold calls, sending out brochures, calling people, etc. to get enough work to make a living. Most of my friends who did this kind of work have left it.

I know this sounds very discouraging, and I hope it is. Unless you are the best of the best, getting a job making enough money to live on in photography is very hard. And remember, the work (as mentioned above) that you do will most likely not be the thing you really, really want to photograph.

If you want to experience the sheer job of photography, the best way to do that is to make lots of money doing other things and taking great photo vacations doing what you want and not having to justify it by making it pay.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:22 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Everyone who is close to me is always urging me to develop my skills more and pursue it as a career.
But have they made a successful living as a professional photographer for a real length of time?

I have never worked full time as a professional photographer making good money.

I have had a brief career working in a darkroom of a printing company, that included some photography. I have done a few part time jobs involving photography.

Photography has been an enjoyable hobby of mine for 50+ years. But I had to work hard to be able to afford my hobbies...

Old 05-02-2016, 10:09 PM

2,408 posts, read 2,432,851 times
Not I.
I work as a pension plan administrator so I know the true value of a pension and retirement security. I hear the pension benefits for photographers suck.....hard. I plan to enjoy my retirement (and the present here and now) not worrying about finances or where my next dollar comes from.
Through the power of collective bargaining I get 5 weeks vacation a year (love my union!) which is ample time to pursue my passions of travel and photography. As a hobbyist photographer I shoot what interests me, not what interests other people/clients. I enjoy sex but doing it to please others for a living wouldn't please, me so I won't prostitute my pixel skills either...

Old 05-03-2016, 07:03 AM

454 posts, read 495,574 times
That's really interesting, philmar. I felt sure you did this for a living. And I'm insanely jealous of your 5 weeks vacation!

On topic: My passion is animal rescue photography. Obviously, I can't quit a paying job to pursue that so I prostitute my pixel pushing skills as a UX/UI designer

Old 05-03-2016, 07:52 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Bulldogs View Post
That's really interesting, philmar. I felt sure you did this for a living. And I'm insanely jealous of your 5 weeks vacation!

On topic: My passion is animal rescue photography. Obviously, I can't quit a paying job to pursue that so I prostitute my pixel pushing skills as a UX/UI designer
Does you volunteer your time at a rescue? I think that would be very rewarding.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:16 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post

If you want to experience the sheer joy of photography, the best way to do that is to make lots of money doing other things and taking great photo vacations doing what you want and not having to justify it by making it pay.
I agree with this completely. What is enjoyable as a hobby will become a pain if it becomes a job. I have a good paying job which funds my travel and camera equipment so i would never dream of quitting it.

Also making a living off photography is 90 % business skills and only 10 % photography skills.That is why you see amazing photographers who go bankrupt because they think their job is just taking photographs and not bother about other things business related. And some mediocre photographers who are successful wedding or event photographers and give people what their customers want, deliver it quickly and charge a fair price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography