Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 10:19 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
On SmugMug, you have the ability to not let the search engines find them and that includes SmugMug's search engine.
This can be done with any website but it needs to be implemented by the site owner. It will only work for legitimate indexing services like Google. If the files are publicly available and it's a rogue bot it can be leached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 11:15 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,097 times
It's obviously not desirable to have someone use your stuff, but my thought on it is that if I've posted a photo on the Internet, then it's open to that kind of thing and all the other kinds of things people can do with it, as others have noted already. For super-top stuff, I'll never post those photos. I hate watermarking, too, and even if you do that, those can be stolen as sophisticated people can remove the watermark.

If I felt a photo was top-tier but important enough to want to post, I'd do this: Make it a picture of a picture. The copy of my own copy would be a crude remake, such as taking a photo of the original on my computer.

Here is an example of a picture of a kitchen sponge I've taken:

I did resize it because I hate over-sized photos, but you wouldn't have to do that. The original is preserved, but I can share this photo of a kitchen sponge without any distracting watermarks that can be removed anyway. Now, someone from a sponge magazine can still use this version without my knowledge. While I can't really do anything about that, they'll never have the original of my kitchen sponge in all its high-resolution glory.

That's basically my solution. And yes, I'd prefer this over watermarking. Or you could watermark the original and then do this, making it more difficult to remove the original watermarking.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:35 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
I hate watermarking, too, and even if you do that, those can be stolen as sophisticated people can remove the watermark.
Removing watermarks is not something that is really easily done. It's like having a lock on your door, it's not going to stop someone from breaking into your house but why bother if the neighbors house is wide open. If I was in the business of stealing images I'd just go find another image.

That said they are usually uniform making them easier to remove. If you are going to watermark use an image or mask with a gradient fill and slight texture. This makes it very difficult to remove.

Quote:
Make it a picture of a picture. The copy of my own copy would be a crude remake, such as taking a photo of the original on my computer.
If you go int the settings when saving a .jpg there is going to be an option for compression level, this might be labeled quality. This will lower the quality of the image but also reduces the file size. 100% is usually used on cameras or archiving hence the reason those images are really large in file size, 90% is the sane number, 75% is good enough for most images especially if you are putting them on the web, emailing etc. Anything below that will start affecting image quality substantially.

We're zoomed in here, the top image is zoomed in 100% quality, the one below it is same image compressed using 75%. The lower you go the worse it gets.

One thing to keep in mind about compression, always keep you originals and try and avoid recompressing the same image. Recompressing at the same quality is not going to help with file size much and will destroy the quality over many itinerations.

This is same image opened and had red oval added and then saved. The ones on the left are first.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:53 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
It's sad. This site has been a lot of fun for me for several years

Old 07-02-2016, 10:45 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Let me point it to you, again.
It has nothing to do with City-Data. Nothing.
Did you read our posts? Do you understand the concept?
Why are you blaming THIS website? ...

Old 07-03-2016, 07:53 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Is it worth giving up that fun just because some people are jerks?

Your actions won't effect the photo-stealers one bit. They'll just find other photos to steal. They will only effect you. It's your call to make, of course, but are you doing the equivalent of burning down your house because you spotted a cockroach in your kitchen?

Old 07-03-2016, 08:06 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh, he understands all right. He's just having some fun with you.

Size of images..Copyright part dux

Personally, I think this whole post is just a fantasy of his. HIS pictures used in a foreign travel brochure? Riiiiight.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:55 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Mike is talking rubbish and probably knows he is..of course it nothing to do with CD...Id like to see some of his photography and see just how desirable it really is for others to steal.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:09 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
That's just the chance you take when posting ANYTHING online.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:54 PM

3,499 posts, read 2,664,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Good news, I just received an email wanting to used one of my photos for a magazine. For a two inch shot the pay is $25.

Just in case someone thinks that I was lying about a magazine wanting to use one of my pictures, this is the email that I received. I eliminated the name of the magazine and the header and contact info. Also, not from CD.

Hi there from XXXXXXXXXX Magazine!

We’re working on our September issue and currently have a screenshot of one of your images from Mt. Shasta in a layout. While it’s not definitely being used, we’d need processing it and get it to our art team right away. **We need to ship this issue tomorrow at midnight, so we would need to hear from you right away

Our licensing fees are dependent on the size an image runs in print, and currently your shot is running slightly less than 2 inches, for which our standard licensing fee is $25.

If this sounds agreeable to you please email me right away so I can send a screenshot of the image in question.

Feel free to call or email with any questions. Thanks.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography