Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 08:59 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times

Advertisements

I posted some instructions for doing this in another thread, and have gotten some thanks from folks who didn't know how to do this. So for the sake of those who might not read that particular post, I thought I'd post a thread with the instructions, and maybe people can use it to practice. So here goes, this time with pictures! . . .

Click My Settings near the top/left of the page

Click Pictures & Albums from the menu on the left

Click Add Album

Give it a title, a description and choose whether you want it to be public or private and click Submit

Click Upload Pictures (when initially setting up an album there are 3 links; one in the middle, one near the top/left corner and one near the bottom/left. Once you've established an album, you will only see the ones on the left, above and below your picture set).

3 buttons will appear that say "Choose File", click the top one first.

This will open your Windows Explorer or Mac Finder, at which point you just navigate to wherever you have your images saved to your computer and select the one you want to upload

Do this for 1 to 3 images. It will drop the image name beside the Choose File button.

If you accidentally choose a file you didn't mean to, and want to replace it with the correct one, just click the Choose File button next to the wrong file name, navigate to the right one and select it. It will replace the wrong one with the right one.

When you're done choosing your images, click the Upload Pictures button at the bottom.

The image(s) you've uploaded will now appear as thumbnails with the file name in the caption box. This is where you can rename it and type any descriptive text you'd like.

When you're done, click the Save Changes button.

Now your pictures are stored in an album right here at City Data. Any time you want to link one in a post:

• Go to My Settings (you may want to do this in a new tab or window)
  • Go to Pictures & Albums
  • Select the album you've uploaded the picture to (you can create multiple albums!)
  • Click on the picture you want to insert, which will then open like this:

• Copy either the Picture URL (if you want people to go to the page so they can read your caption or description) or the BB Code (if you want to insert the actual image into the post)
  • Return to the post and paste the copied data

You've done it!

Last edited by 2goldens; 11-16-2009 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: Wow! What a job! :) Moved from Other Topics so more members can view. Thank you! :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 09:24 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,466 times
Great step by step instructions Jill

Old 11-16-2009, 05:54 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
Jill, your instructions and encouragement actually got me to upload my first album here on C-D yesterday - thank you! I've been using Scirocco22's directions here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/814124-post3.html to upload and display photos in posts, but the album approach looks like it will work better.

I do have one question, though. If I create an album and set it to "private," meaning that only my contacts and the moderators can view it, would I still be able to put one of the photos in a public post, or would that photo also only be visible to moderators and my contacts? In other words, how specific and literal is the logic by which the privacy mode is set?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:35 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
BookWorm, I'm so sorry that I missed this question when you posted it! The short answer is, I don't know. But I suspect that once you embed an image address in a post, it would have to appear, even if the album it's in is not viewable to non-contacts and moderators.

Let's test it out. I edited my Sample Album to make it private. You are not currently on my list of contacts (BIG mistake which we will have to rectify after this little experiment!!). Tell me if you can see the image when following the link below, as well as if it appears to you in this post. . .

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...flagsmiley.gif

Old 11-23-2009, 06:19 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
Jill, no worries - I posted an inquiry thread asking that question and another that puzzled me, here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/about...c-d-photo.html and got a very helpful response from Poncho_NM, one of the moderators.

In brief, if you try to post an image from a private album, only your friends, contacts and the moderators would be able to see it in your post. Hence, when I create an album, I'll try to plan ahead for photos that I may want to share on public threads as distinct from those that I'd like to just share with friends.

Thanks so much (again!) for all your help, Jill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum