Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 05:44 PM

493 posts, read 980,967 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to go on a trip across South East Asia and I really want to get a wide angle lens, especially for temples and landscapes. We have a Nikon D3300, and I was originally eyeing the Sigma 10-20mm (http://amzn.to/2qhPNFH) Looks like it's been around for a while and has good reviews.

While researching that lens, however, I came across the relatively new Nikon Nikkor 10-20mm (http://amzn.to/2CHUz1I) This one is $100 cheaper. I know it uses a plastic mount and has a slower (and variable) aperture.

Does the aperture difference justify the extra $100, for a relatively beginner photographer? I'm heavily leaning towards saving the $100 but don't want to end up regretting my decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 08:40 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,600 times
Both lenses get good reviews from purchasers (on B&H Photo site), but at 20mm you will be losing 1 1/2 stops with the Nikon lens, at 10mm you will be losing a full stop.

A couple of questions--is this a "once in a lifetime" trip/primarily photo trip? How much is the trip costing you? Is it worth the loss in light gathering ability for just a $90 savings?

Old 01-03-2018, 08:46 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i had the sigma lens . i eventually sold it and took a beating . i learned , not to buy anything but top nikon glass . i have sold lenses years later for what i paid . i ended up having the use of the better nikon lenses for free .

every after market lens i ever bought took a beating when sold.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:28 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i had the sigma lens . i eventually sold it and took a beating . i learned , not to buy anything but top nikon glass . i have sold lenses years later for what i paid . i ended up having the use of the better nikon lenses for free .

every after market lens i ever bought took a beating when sold.
While I agree with you about top end lenses, the lens choices being talked about here are both less than $400. Can't take much of a beating on that! Not to mention, perhaps selling the lens may not be of interest to the OP. You and I are both professionals so we buy, sell and trade stuff as better stuff comes along, but most amateurs end up keeping the lenses purchased for a long time.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:37 PM

493 posts, read 980,967 times
Yeah, we will likely not sell the lenses; if anything we'll give them to a family member when we eventually upgrade to a higher tier DSLR down the road if the lenses aren't compatible, or we want to upgrade lenses as well.

We will likely do the trip again, but not for a while. We travel a lot but have several years of trips planned before we'll revisit anywhere. Photography will largely be used just for personal enjoyment and a personal blog. Total cost is about $5,000, and the lens purchase is a last minute/not budgeted. Hence the looking for a budget option.

We just returned from China and Japan and really missed out having a Wide Angle lens. Current kit is just the standard 18-55mm and 55-200mm that came with the D3300. We also have a Tamron 70-300mm telephoto zoom plus macro.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:31 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Both lenses get good reviews from purchasers (on B&H Photo site), but at 20mm you will be losing 1 1/2 stops with the Nikon lens, at 10mm you will be losing a full stop.

A couple of questions--is this a "once in a lifetime" trip/primarily photo trip? How much is the trip costing you? Is it worth the loss in light gathering ability for just a $90 savings?

Doesn't the Nikon lens have image stabilization that the Sigma doesn't have? A few stops of IS can easily offset 1 stop on the aperture.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:15 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i can't say i ever bought a lens with the intention of selling it . but eventually you realize the short comings and if you are in to photography it ends up being sold .

so over the years i learned the saying the poor man pays twice is very very true . i wish i understood that saying early on lol .

i have wasted so much money on inferior things trying not to spend so much , only to take a beating on what i bought and end up buying what i tried to save on in the first place.

i just went throught that with all my tripods and heads and going for gitzo and really right stuff . i tried living with some cheaper manfrotto heads that were just awful .

the camera with my 70-200vr f2.8 would cause the plate to spin and loosen .

so today , i only go right for the best i can afford day 1 . i am so tired of throwing out money on stuff that does not end up working out well .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography