Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:07 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times

Advertisements

Uhhh...Ray...what can I say but WOW!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 01:27 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Thanks, I will get one. I just placed an order for something else and should have added the UV filter and saved on shipping....oh well.
In my opinion, they're a waste of time. I have two sitting in a drawer somewhere that never see the light of day. They degrade image quality, and your decent multi-coated lenses are already much tougher than you might think. A much better investment is purchasing and using a lens hood. That also protects your lens, but actually increases image quality rather than degrades it.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:40 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
I personally don't care for lens hoods, or may be i just don't find them useful while taking picture, more like a bother. That reminds me, i need to go and find mine, LOL

Old 07-20-2008, 03:10 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I personally don't care for lens hoods, or may be i just don't find them useful while taking picture, more like a bother. That reminds me, i need to go and find mine, LOL
Shame on you, ShepsMon Just kidding! But in reality, lens hoods, although cumbersome at times, are indispensable. I never use UV filters, and always lens hoods. The only filters I use is a Hoya CPL for landscapes. The lens i used for the seagulls didn't have any filter on it.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:39 PM

I've used lenshood few times, i'm afraid i'm not using it correctly, it gets on the way of my viewfinder sometimes, is it weird?? Doesn't it also cause some vignetting?

Old 07-20-2008, 03:50 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
I've used lenshood few times, i'm afraid i'm not using it correctly, it gets on the way of my viewfinder sometimes, is it weird?? Doesn't it also cause some vignetting?
None of my canon lens hoods cause vignetting. 17-40, 24-70, or 70-200. Can't speak for the Nikons. Seems if the factory spec lens hood was used it shouldn't. Certain wide angle lenses will cause vignetting on full frame sensors I'm told. I don't like to take a chance with stray light when shooting action during the day. The kind of shooting where you have no other choice but to take what they give you when they give it to you. I like the little extra protection from the bumps and grinds when I zig and the camera zags because I'm oblivious to my movements with it slung over my shoulder. The lens hood will get in the way of a builtin flash on models like the 10-40D cameras. I don't have builtin flash so it is not a bother.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:49 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
There should not be problems as long as you use the hood that comes with the lens. The hood stops light from entering the camera mostly from the sides, specially with front spherical glass such as the Tokina 12-24mm and wider. But it could happen with any lens. It also protects the front glass from bumps, your own fingers, or the doggy's nose

Do you remember any time when you had to cup your hand over your eyebrows to clearly see something while driving? How about when wearing a baseball cap or sun visor? That is what a hood does for your camera. You will notice that the inside surface of the hood is made so it does not reflect and bounce light around and toward the camera. Only light that comes straight into the camera is allowed to pass, but not the light from the sides. But a problem with hoods is the shadow they project with flash use indoors. In such a case one can just remove the hood as needed.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-20-2008 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 05:53 PM

Ok, i'll give my hood a try, it came with my 18-200 lens. Thanks for the info you guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography