Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:06 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,189,188 times

Advertisements

Ok, i'm in need of a lesson, i'm very challenged when it comes to technical aspects of certain photo equipment. So here it is, if anyone can provide any light on the subject.

I have 2 strobes that i'd like to implement in my studio, SB600 and SB800
Right now, i'm using SB600 which is sitting on the stand with umbrella, it's triggered by camera wireless option (via commander mode), however, the probelm is, my on-camera flash has to be open in order to trigger the strobe.....

I'm looking to get a wireless trigger/receiver, so i don't have to use on camera flash and i'd like to set my second strobe with another umbrella.
So, do any of you know what i need to buy in order to achieve what i want. I need my camera to trigger both strobes at the same time....

I really hate to have cords running all over the place, and tripping on them isn't really fun thing to do.

Any knowledge from any one on this subject would be appreciated.
I've been reading and reading and i'm getting more confused then anything.

Help???!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,639,414 times
ShepsMom, as you know, I just received my D300, so please excuse me if I missed something about your question. But my understanding of the way the D300 works is that you can have your 2 particular strobes set up for simultaneous firing. The on-camera flash does have to be open, but it works as a signal to the other strobes, and does not interfere w/ your lighting otherwise b/c it is the infrared that is triggering the other devices. (At least, that is what I have been reading).

Again, I am a newbie, but I have also been trying to figure out studio lighting and that is how I thought things worked.

If, indeed, the built in flash is creating a hot spot or otherwise interfering . . . have you tried using Commander to configure so that the built-in flash does not emit a flash? If it is infrared signaling your strobes (and not a burst of light from your in-camera flash) would that setting work for you?

Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 PM

Lets see, i use D80, my D300 just arrived, but i don't think i'll be using it in my studio.
Anyway, right now, my camera is on Commander mode, and you're right, the SB600 is triggerd wirelessly, pop-up flash fires and creates different lighting effect, which iS why i want to try and avoid it. TheRe are no settings to eliminate pop-up firing, i already asked at my local camera shop, they said i have to buy wireless trigger to do that.
So, i need to find out what equipment do i need to buy. Unless i'm missing something, i have no clue how to set up pop-up flash to NOT fire?? I can probably get sync cords, but then again, they ARE cords LOL.

I've been reading on Pocket Wizards, but not quiet understand it yet....

Old 09-10-2008, 12:32 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,829,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Lets see, i use D80, my D300 just arrived, but i don't think i'll be using it in my studio.
Anyway, right now, my camera is on Commander mode, and you're right, the SB600 is triggerd wirelessly, pop-up flash fires and creates different lighting effect, which iS why i want to try and avoid it. TheRe are no settings to eliminate pop-up firing, i already asked at my local camera shop, they said i have to buy wireless trigger to do that.
So, i need to find out what equipment do i need to buy. Unless i'm missing something, i have no clue how to set up pop-up flash to NOT fire?? I can probably get sync cords, but then again, they ARE cords LOL.

Sorry but I'm clueless on this one. I've been wanting to take the workshop offered in Sarasota on studio lighting just about every month but as of yet have not arranged it. I know the problem with cords and tripping and liability. Please share any solutions you may learn.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post

Okay - There is a setting for the D80 to override the flash in Commander Mode. Are you using that? TTL, M and -- which is OFF.

Am I just showing my ignorance here? LOL! Sorry if I am.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:58 PM

I know as much as you do anifani, i think if both of us put our minds together, then we can figure something out.

So, i've been reading on Pocket Wizards, you will have to have 1 for each light plus one for the camera. So, in my case it's 3
I can sell both of my flashes for about 550.00-600.00 for both, and get 3 pocket wizards plus cheapo flashes. It will eliminate annoying pop-up flash.
The problem with pop-up, it doesn't reach FAR enough, so if you are out on location, it's really useless, so when you get Pocket Wizards, you can set your lights up to 1000+ feet away, isn't it great???
Take a wedding, you're in the dark church and you want to do shot from above, you go to the second story (balcony) whatever church offers, while you have your lights set up close to your B&G, you're far far away!! Using Pop-up will do nothing, using PW's will reach your lights in a sec.
Do you see what i'm saying, does it make any sense? I think PW's are something to consider.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Okay - There is a setting for the D80 to override the flash in Commander Mode. Are you using that? TTL, M and -- which is OFF.

Am I just showing my ignorance here? LOL! Sorry if I am.

Everything is set on Manual, falsh and camera. Flash is set in Commander mode.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Sorry but I'm clueless on this one. I've been wanting to take the workshop offered in Sarasota on studio lighting just about every month but as of yet have not arranged it. I know the problem with cords and tripping and liability. Please share any solutions you may learn.
Who is offering workshop? I didn't know someone is actually doing it here. Let me know, may be both of us can use this LOL

Old 09-10-2008, 01:07 PM

The PW's sound great. I am reading up on them right now.

But you still need to turn off the in-camera flash, right? I think your camera shop is wrong - you can turn that flash off.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:08 PM

Discussion Forums @ Nikonians - SB-600 remote flash without using D300 built-in light?

See post # 29.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography