Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:28 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,186,130 times

Advertisements

Today is a remembrance day for all of the people who lost their lives in a horrible tragedy. I personally have no pictures to share, but I'm wondering if anyone have any pictures captured from the day it happened.
I clearly remember the day. I was driving home at around 9am, when I saw bunch of cops with sirens on, that was our President heading for the airport. I turned the radio on......

What were you doing that day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 07:16 AM

71 posts, read 188,096 times
I was off work that day, was on my computer and had no clue what was going on. I went out to eat at a pizza shop and heard it on the radio, it was like noon by that time. It was very scary that's for sure. I watched the news the rest of the day. I bought a newspaper the next day and still have it plus i taped a lot of the news coverage so i'll never forget what happened that day.

We had clients in the one tower (MSDW) and it was pretty insane seeing the emails. I still have the one from the person in the bld saying how he saw people just jumping out the windows to escape the fires. I could not imagine seeing anything like that. God bless them all.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:27 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,924,619 times
Just got in to work and heard about the crash on the North Tower but I was under the impression that it was a twin engine plane that accidentally crashed into it. As soon as we heard of the South Tower attack, we all converged in the conference room to watch footage. Some people were crying as I lived in CT then and people had family who lived in CT and worked in NYC. There was gloom and chaos...people were calling the schools and daycares since we all wanted to leave and pick up my young kids (4 year old and 6 year old). I left at about 1 pm to get my children, came home and plastered myself on the TV. As early as 10 am that day, I called my parents in CA and asked them to turn the TV on. My most vivid memory of that day was the face and voice of the daughter of one of the victims of the most devastated company...Cantor Fitzgerald which lost I believe over 60% of its employees on 9-11. She had a picture of her daddy and she raised that on TV and wailed..."Please if you see my Daddy, can you bring him home!". I actually went into a mild depression for a week. After 2 days, I can't bear to turn the TV on.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,790,335 times
I walked by a campus monitor that students normally used for info about classes. It was showing the first tower being hit and about that time a feed came on showing the second. I was sick to may stomach with this. And then when the announcement came in about the Pentagon being hit I just about lost it as my youngest son worked there some of the time. I was fit to be tied until I got word he had left the building several hours before that building was hit. He may have photos I can get to post but I'm not sure if he can release what he may have. He spent many months following working 12 hour shifts in the Pentagon basement on who knows what. That I don't ask about. I will never forget this date and what transpired as long as I live.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:52 AM

673 posts, read 2,269,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I will never forget this date and what transpired as long as I live.
I hear you, Nomadicus, and I feel the same way. It was a sad day for millions of Americans.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:04 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,284,348 times
For all of you fellow artisits out there, I just heard an art teacher in New York was given some metal scraps from the Trade Center by a fireman and he gave the scraps to his students who made amazing peices with them. This was on CNN if you would like to watch.

What a great way to remember...

Old 09-11-2008, 08:21 AM

60 posts, read 173,355 times
First i would like to send my love toall that are in heaven afer loosing there life on 9/11 ....till this day i cant forget watcing the news when people had no choice but to jump of the buildings (terrible) god bless them all .

When this happen i was at work ,and we thought it was some small plane that might hit the tower but when more news cam around we was all frozen and couldnt belive what had happen ....people at my job actualy had to get some counceling cause they couldnt control them self ....so many people tought the war was on american soil .....We will never forget

Amen

Old 09-11-2008, 09:16 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,128,559 times
I remember getting a phone call to turn on the telly...I was getting ready for work and getting my son ready for school. I watched as the second plane hit and everything just went cold. I made some calls and usually the response was incredulous or of disbelief. I remember watching those who took their fate into their own hands and leap from the buildings - and these images are so ingrained into my memory.
I didn't have the choice to stay home and I had a very difficult time leaving my son at school. We didn't have a telly in the waiting room of the clinic I worked at...we did have a radio and the head physician allowed us to have it on throughout the day. It was a very somber day at the clinic, disbelief was nearly palatable.

Every year on this day, the assorted channels have their 'recaps' and miscellaneous programmes and I usually watch some of them...though it becomes too difficult to watch anything continuously. There is a programme on the History Channel tonight - 102 Minutes or something of the like, showing footage and images shot by the people who were there.

Blessings to all.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:27 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,836,350 times
Much of the time instead of setting the sleep timer on the TV, I fall asleep in bed with the TV still going. On that morning, I awoke to the sight of the plane crashing into the first tower. I honestly thought I was watching a movie -- that is until I watched as the other plane crashed into the second tower. It was at that moment that I realized this was really happening, and it was terrifying to watch that and all that transpired after. That day changed all of our lives forever -- not just the lives of the people who lost loved ones or were involved in the rescue and recovery efforts.

As I sat down with my journal and coffee this morning and wrote the date on the page, before I could write anything else, I stopped and reflected on that day and said a prayer.

My heart goes out to all those who were directly affected by the events of that fateful day.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:50 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,691,181 times
I too remember it clearly and probably always will. I was at work by myself and a co-worker called in and said the World Trade Center got hit by a plane. Honestly it didn't sound too bad from the way she told me. I figured it was just a tiny little plane that had an accident and wasn't even going to put on the tv. But I did and not two seconds after I turned the news on the second plane hit. Since I didn't know anything at that point I had no clue what I was seeing or what was happening. Like the rest of us though I figured things out pretty quick.

I have to admit that while I am not really an emotional or sentimental person, to this day the jumpers are what get to me. Just the very idea that they had to make the most horrible decision as to whether to burn to death or jump out the buildings makes my blood run cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography