Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2cme View Post
I think you're right.... this one did not turn out as I had hoped. For some reason on my screen before I posted it, the only color to show up was green, and didn't look like such a mess - but then after it posted I noticed green and yellow in the shot.

No doubt its user error and I've been looking to see where it all went wrong. I think PhotoGal's input about the camera making a multi-color selection is right on. I didn't realize that was what I did, but that feature is still very new to me. I don't yet know how to use the 'selective color' feature of my photo editing software, but I've been reading into it so that I can make necessary corrections to this problem in the future or prevent it all together! That's the goal!

Like they say, with practice we make mistakes and from those mistakes we learn and grow. That's why I went ahead and left it posted - if I can learn from it, then others may be able to learn as well. At least that was my train of thought at the time. I should have made a note that this photo was definitely leaning heavily on the learning curve.

Thanks for the comments Bibit & PhotoGal, creative critic and helpful input is always appreciated.
On Page 1 of this thread are several links on how to do it. I don't know what your software is...I use Elements, and the tutorial on Page 1 probably skipped a step or so. I had to take notes on it so that I follow the step exactly how it says. If you reverse one step or miss just the most mundane detail as I have done many times, it does not come out the way it's supposed to. I'll check if I saved a better link on my home computer, assuming you use Elements and I'll post it on this thread, together with my notes on it. If you use any other, I'm afraid someone else would have to walk you through it.

On page 1 of this thread also, ShepsMom had posted what types of shots this style is most applicable to. IMO, it works best when the shot is on the simple side, not too many elements in the photo.

My best recollection of this style is in the movie Schindler's List. If you have seen this movie, there was a scene where the children are walking away to the concentration camp for kids, all of them separated from their parents and looking lost and distraught. The scene focused on a little girl in a bright red dress walking aimlessly with the rest. The next scene shot was in total black and white...dead Jewish children piled like sacks of potatoes on a truck being hauled away to be incinerated. There was one speck of red in that scene...the little girl earlier shown in the red dress. That scene haunted me forever, to this day. It was excellent cinematography, and conveyed what it wanted to convey. This thread in Photography gave me the opportunity to strive for something so memorable as that shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:08 PM

409 posts, read 951,853 times
Default Sunday Tea Party

Old 05-18-2009, 10:02 PM

2,870 posts, read 3,370,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
On Page 1 of this thread are several links on how to do it. I don't know what your software is...I use Elements, and the tutorial on Page 1 probably skipped a step or so. I had to take notes on it so that I follow the step exactly how it says. If you reverse one step or miss just the most mundane detail as I have done many times, it does not come out the way it's supposed to. I'll check if I saved a better link on my home computer, assuming you use Elements and I'll post it on this thread, together with my notes on it. If you use any other, I'm afraid someone else would have to walk you through it.

On page 1 of this thread also, ShepsMom had posted what types of shots this style is most applicable to. IMO, it works best when the shot is on the simple side, not too many elements in the photo.

My best recollection of this style is in the movie Schindler's List. If you have seen this movie, there was a scene where the children are walking away to the concentration camp for kids, all of them separated from their parents and looking lost and distraught. The scene focused on a little girl in a bright red dress walking aimlessly with the rest. The next scene shot was in total black and white...dead Jewish children piled like sacks of potatoes on a truck being hauled away to be incinerated. There was one speck of red in that scene...the little girl earlier shown in the red dress. That scene haunted me forever, to this day. It was excellent cinematography, and conveyed what it wanted to convey. This thread in Photography gave me the opportunity to strive for something so memorable as that shot.
Thank you for the information about Elements, but I don't use that one (must tell the truth, I haven't heard of it! Yikes! ) Although, I did take a look at the links provided on the first page and have been spending a little time lately reading all the interesting tutorials posted by ShepsMom. They are old threads, but that doesn't matter to me, if the information and photos were good then, then its good now!

I use different programs, depending on what I have time for and what computer I am working on. Sometimes I just use paint to add my name, or windows photo manager to resize my photo, or sometimes I use photoshop if I'm on my business partners computer but most of the time I use Jasc PaintShop (came free with some other program I bought years ago, last month was the first time I've ever used it! Had to dig out the disc & load it, that was a task in and of itself! ).

I'm only just now learning about some of the interesting things that program can do - mostly just doing the equivalent of 'doodling' by turning photos into art, for that thread. Its good practice and is slowly walking me through the seemingly endless possibilities of 'editing.'

I'll remember the very useful rule of 'KISS' (keep it simple stupid! ahhahaha) when it comes to this format of photos.

I was working out of the country when Schindler's List came out so I never got to see it. A couple years ago, when I was on R&R, a friend suggested we watch it on DVD. However, we both quickly discovered that I could not see it through to the end. You see I worked in Kosova immediately after the genocide that occurred there. After that experience and the atrocities I was witness to, I just can't bring myself to watch movies like that ever again. Hits a little too close to home for me.

I know nearly all of my photos are from some other country, but that's because I've lived and studied and worked outside of the US since I was 17 (now 39). But, needless to say, the photos that I took in Kosova are some that I will never post on this or any forum. I'll leave those scenes to the cinematography experts who can deliver the message with that little bit of separation from the unreal reality.

Still, I must say, your description of the scene was stirring... you and PhotoGal should join forces in your writing as well as in your photography! You are both highly talented in both!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 04:14 AM

18,124 posts, read 11,758,079 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/photo...scussions.html

Take a moment to read my note regarding Assignments.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:38 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
X2cme - I know what you mean about it being too close to home. We used to live next door to a family that fled Bosnia. We heard all the stories and relived their terror. Maybe someday, my family will visit Croatia and the beaches of Montenegro.

Thank you for your compliments.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:35 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Houston, TX von elnina999 auf Flickr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography