Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:49 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,396 times

Advertisements

Um, so the shots of my ducks from today are worse than the other day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 06:54 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Um, so the shots of my ducks from today are worse than the other day?
They are better but still could be much improved with the understanding of how to put the focus and light metering on the duck and not the water. It's in the manual. Until recently Rebel model cameras did not have this available. Basically what happens the ducks look the best and then the other elements get along as best can. You have to decide what you want to show. A nice longer zoom lens would help in this situation to eliminate a lot of the distracting hot spots competing for exposure input into the cameras brain.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
Fedup, it's wonderful that you're out there, taking shot after shot, and learning from them. The biggest (and most difficult) challenge is patience. It's a learning process, and one that's best grasped through trial and error. If you shoot and take notes on the settings you've used, you can see what works for you and what doesn't.

I've been shooting with an SLR for just over 10 years now, the last two with a DSLR. It's only been in the last year or so that I feel I've gotten a good grasp of the technical side. The digital aspect has been the biggest help, so you've got a great jump on me there. Don't worry if you're not shooting like an expert right away - it takes time.

Aside from getting out and shooting, the second thing to do is read, read, and read. There are all kinds of web sites and all kinds of books. Some general, some specific. Here's one site I found with some good tips. Don't forget your manual, too - I still refer to mine frequently. I also highly recommend this book. It explains different aspects of photography in a language that's easy to understand. I also find it useful to Google specific scenarios, if I know I will be photographing something special. For instance, when we recently had a lunar eclipse, I Googled how to photograph it.

I'd also recommend finding a photography workshop in your area, or maybe even a camera club or Meetup group. Hands-on instruction is an incredible help. I had been struggling with some technical aspects of photography for years, especially aperture. Last year I took a macro workshop, and it was like a light bulb went off in my head. I learned so much, and my confidence has improved tremendously because of it.

ETA: One more thing, about the ducks. Try going out there early one morning and photographing them. You'll notice a huge difference. If you can get your hands on a polarizing filter, even better - but you'll see an improvement even if you don't have one.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:22 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Excellent post Claire! Can't rep you yet but owe you one.

Fedup, as far as books are concerned, I found two very helpful ones.
Amazon.com: The Betterphoto Guide to Digital Photography (Amphoto Guide Series): Jim Miotke: Books

and

Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition): Bryan Peterson: Books

Jim Miotke also has a blog. Like Claire said, google for specific instances and scenarios. Usually, there's a ton of "how to's" on the net. I do it a lot for PS Elements when I need to.

The manual is really for what your camera can do, all its features and controls so when you find some material on the web to help you get there, you go back to your camera to see "how" your particular camera would get you there. However, it is important to understand the "what" and the "why" as well. DP Review has an excellent Glossary of photography terms. It explains what EC, EV, diopter, focal length, etc. etc. and the effect it has on your photo. I found it really helpful. I think you would too.

For example, articles on the net will explain to you the reflective properties of very bright objects, such as water, sky, snow and sand, and how those would affect your shots if contrast is high. Then you assess your camera with the help of your manual to see how you could adjust for those properties. On top of that, the articles might suggest accessories to help you with the shots, such as filters, hoods, gray cards, etc. For example, people have suggested a polarizing filter. What does it do? How does it affect light and eventually your shot? What is an 18% gray card? What does it do? Do you have to buy it or can you make one, and so forth. So, it isn't enough to read. It really made my hair HURT going back and forth trying to understand and get the concept through my thick NOGGIN. That's when the experts here (obviously that's not ME!) jump in to help you understand that. Very helpful to their ability to help is EXIF info. It's easier to get to the root of the problem if all info is available to critique.

My advice is to focus on one area at a time. If exposure is your challenge, then read up like a mad dog on it. Start with stationary objects first, so you don't have to fool around with shutter speed just yet. Concentrate on aperture and focus and DOF. When you feel that you are getting the results you want, go to the next, like those that involve speed, and so forth and so on. Biting more than one thing at a time is a recipe for frustration.

We all have gone through the pain of learning a new camera...believe me, I thought mine was broken when I first got it. But reality and then humility quickly set in when I realized it was really all me. But, like my motto, if I think I can and know I can, you too can.

Last edited by BagongBuhay; 09-26-2008 at 06:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography