Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:20 PM

409 posts, read 951,853 times

Advertisements

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr163/Oklalady/IMG_2004.jpg (broken link)

Where did she go? We always spent the evenings together. I remember meeting her when she was only 4 yr. old. She promised we would always be best friends. Over the years she shared her joys, hurts, secrets, hugs, jokes, and so much more with me. I was always there to listen. No questions or comments did I ever make. I was her slient loving friend. Now for the first time it seems as if she is gone for good. Her mother came in and sat on the bed next to me. She picked me up and cried softly into my hair. I sat silently on her bed. Tears running down my cheeks and hers, she gently put me down into a box and closed the lid. I now understand why the lady who made me, made me with tears. She knew the day would come that I would lose my best friend to a bigger world than her neatly decorated bedroom. Years seem to drag on and on. One day a small 4 yr. old girl opened my box and cried, Oh mama! She is so beautiful! I'll take good care of her. We'll be best friends forever. And the circle of life goes on.

Last edited by Oklahomasue; 10-30-2008 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: correct mistake and add title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 06:40 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,774,174 times
I have watched these waters for over a hundred years.....I have sent my light to help those on the sea avoid the dangers of the shoals...I have lit the way for those who brave the shoals to rescue those in peril.....I have endured hurricanes, nor'easters, and the ravages of time....I have even endured being moved, to save my life.....I welcome those who visit me..those who come to hear my stories, and climb my stairs, and see the views that I see...I echo their voices, laughter and footsteps within my walls....many have come and gone.....still I stand, I have always stood, and I will stand firm....I am a guardian of the sea.....I am America's Lighthouse....I am Hatteras....

Last edited by Azkadellia; 10-31-2008 at 07:08 AM..

Old 10-31-2008, 07:51 AM

556 posts, read 2,087,582 times
On Sunday, my grandmother turned 97. This was taken while she was getting ready for her birthday party. She's always been able to remember vivid details from decades ago.....so she's our family storyteller
Attached Thumbnails
Assignment #20.....Storytellers.....-863369327209.jpg  

Old 10-31-2008, 10:21 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,813,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
On Sunday, my grandmother turned 97. This was taken while she was getting ready for her birthday party. She's always been able to remember vivid details from decades ago.....so she's our family storyteller
What a nice picture of your grandmother! She's looking darn good for 97, and I hope that she enjoyed her birthday. You should record some of her stories and family history from her. I wish I had done that with some of my relatives who are no longer living. I can't remember half the stuff they shared with me over the years.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:28 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,981 times
Azkadellia..I love lighthouses...and your story, too!

Rottnboys...I agree with photogal...record her stories..we did with my great grandmother, and they are cherished in our family. The tapes are so old now & listened to so many times...but I love her stories of crossing the country with a caravan of other folks & settling finally in California.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:52 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Now that I am just over 100 years old, there are times it is nice to have a quiet life. But if you listen closely, you can sometimes hear the creak of wagons, or the puttering of the old tractor pulling the school wagon, maybe even the sound of my bell calling the children to come inside yet. Sometimes when the wind is right a faint whiff of woodsmoke from one of my long cold potbellied stoves may be caught, or the smell of a box social that used to be held on my grounds... back when I was important that is. The sound that is missed most though now is the sound of all the generations of my children that I kept warm in the winter and safe and dry during Spring and Fall storms. The laughter, the chatter (how I loved the chatter, even though some of my teachers didn't ), and yes sometimes the sniffles when someone fell or had their feeling hurt. That was always followed by the soothing sounds of other children and the teachers. I wish I had hands to write the stories of my life, or lips to tell of the songs sung inside my walls. Even a slight whisper just to let the generations know that I still care and remember....

Last edited by Bydand; 11-01-2008 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-02-2008, 05:57 AM

Great story, Bydand, as well as a nice photo of this old schoolhouse. Oh, if only walls could talk!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:29 AM

This is the Poinsett Bridge, located 5 miles off of Old Highway 25 north of Greer, South Carolina. It is the oldest intact bridge in the state. The 14-ft. Gothic arch stone structure spans Little Gap Creek and was once part of the State Road that ran from Charleston to North Carolina. Named for the road's designer and director of the SC Board of Public Works, Joel R. Poinsett, the bridge may have been designed by Robert Mills, architect of the Washington Monument. Poinsett was a prominent early resident of Greenville and a U.S. Ambassador to Mexico. The poinsettia flower, which Poinsett introduced in the U.S. from Mexico, is named for him.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:31 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Default Okies

The house next to the railroad tracks.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_3020.jpg (broken link)

We're okies, proud and true. Pa remembers when there were brothels on the edge of town. He said his brother shot a man there oncet. The law came fer 'im, but he outran 'em. Never came back neither.

Grandma remembers before the dust bowl days. She sold moonshine and took in ironing to make ends meet. We didn't go to school most days on account we had to go out and work the fields with everyone else hereabouts.

Our house still stands, 'cept now it's on the poor side of town. We wuz poor, but so was everyone else. We didn't know no different.

-Ghosts heard by Redbird

Old 11-14-2008, 03:52 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
The house next to the railroad tracks.

We're okies, proud and true. Pa remembers when there were brothels on the edge of town. He said his brother shot a man there oncet. The law came fer 'im, but he outran 'em. Never came back neither.

Grandma remembers before the dust bowl days. She sold moonshine and took in ironing to make ends meet. We didn't go to school most days on account we had to go out and work the fields with everyone else hereabouts.

Our house still stands, 'cept now it's on the poor side of town. We wuz poor, but so was everyone else. We didn't know no different.

-Ghosts heard by Redbird

Awesome, Redbird. Great story, great shot. Drew me right in! You should write a book, and fill it with your photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography