Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 11:47 PM

130 posts, read 560,016 times

Advertisements

I'm new here and have really enjoyed looking at your pictures and all the great advice. My son is returning from a round the world trip in December and I know he'll have hundreds of pictures. Where would you recommend he have prints made? The only place I use is CVS and they are very inconsistent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,752,834 times
I go to Walmart for the one hour service and lower price rate. If you get your pictures saved to a CD or floppy, then you can make your own copies or share over the internet - therefore, saving more money.

CVS does cost more than Walmart.

Remember years ago, there were companies to mail your pictures and it was a Club-like?
When out of state or on vacation, I would mail my film and by the time I got home, my
pictures were in my mailbox. Whatever happened to those companies?

Old 11-20-2008, 06:26 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,809,487 times
I get my prints made at Sam's Club. They always did good work, but I sometimes wondered why the prints sometimes looked different than I had they did as I submitted them (after editing in Photoshop Elements). I had never noticed it before, but there's a little box that's automatically checked when you upload your photos. If you don't uncheck it, their machines automatically try to "correct" your photos. By unchecking it, you get them as edited. My last ones turned out amazingly well.

I burn my own photo CDs, but if I were going to get it done comercially, I'd request a high resolution photo CD. Some I've gotten in the past weren't really good enough to print from but okay for the Internet.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 AM

409 posts, read 951,561 times
I order my from Walgreens. I can have them in an hour at no extra cost. I also like that I can pay for them at the store, not having to use a credit card. They have lots of good coupon offers also. They turn out good each time....and if they don't it's due to the person who took the pictures!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:33 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,979 times
This might not be for the round the world traveller, but for holiday & vacation photo-taking I have a thought.

I just bought the HP photosmart A516. It's portable, quick at printing, makes 4x6 color prints beautifully. It takes 4 different chip sizes, including SD Card. Ink might be a little costly, but still less than using my computer printer and no fussing with sizing images down on the computer. The cost was $99, ink $19.99, photo paper packages range $10-15 (depending on brand name & finishes, though shopping around for deals cuts the price down). It's not top-of-the-line "professional" quality, but for printing pictures immediately, I'm quite happy with it.

The best thing I like about this photo printer, it's smaller than a toaster and can be taken anywhere and very simple to use. Plug it in, turn it on, put the paper in, insert chip, find the picture you want & press print.

Last edited by FedupWNY; 11-20-2008 at 08:41 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 08:57 AM

515 posts, read 1,832,461 times
Mpix!!!!

Mpix.com - Home

Old 11-20-2008, 09:01 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
I like Costco. They've so far (knock on wood) been perfect with my pics, and have cheap cheap enlargements.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:37 AM

687 posts, read 1,946,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post
Co-sign. Great quality, super cheap, and super fast.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:13 AM

130 posts, read 560,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post

Thanks! This is exactly what I'm looking for. And thanks to everyone else for your suggestions too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography