Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 08:37 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into the Nikon D80 and D90 Does anyone have these?? Are you happy with them? I'm looking to spend about 1k which would include a separate lens maybe and the case.

They both seem to be great.. can't make up my mind. I need one that is good for concerts, outdoors, closeups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 11:23 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
I really enjoy my first DSLR, a Canon 40D.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,774 times
I am a Nikon user, but I think Canon is better. Canon has more selections of lens.

Flickr: Lincoln ~'s Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/hkdollar - broken link)

Old 03-15-2009, 12:21 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I'm looking into the Nikon D80 and D90 Does anyone have these?? Are you happy with them? I'm looking to spend about 1k which would include a separate lens maybe and the case.

They both seem to be great.. can't make up my mind. I need one that is good for concerts, outdoors, closeups.
While I have neither, the difference between these two cameras is the sensor and the DSLR Movie Mode. Call me a traditionalist, but if I wanted to shoot video, I'd use a camcorder, not a DSLR. Anyway...

As for the range of pictures you are looking to shoot, the real issue is going to be the lens array you choose to go with. Personally, I would look at two main lenses, the 50 f/1.4 and the 24-120 mm f/3.5. The prime will get you the clarity you need in the lowlight of concerts and the zoom with the VR will give you both the wide angle you want for the outdoors and the opportunity for closeups.

Ultimately, I would suggest going to a local camera store and getting the lenses hooked up to the camera to get a sense of the weight and feel of what you are going to be working with.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:30 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I'm not a Nikon user so won't comment on which camera body, but if you're doing a lot of close-up work you'll want to get a macro (or micro as Nikon calls it) lens. There are other alternatives, but a macro lens is probably the best bet if you'll be doing much of it.

Ask if you have questions about close-up lens alternatives.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
RunYYfan is right, the D90 shoots video. I have a D40X which I love. The only problem being is Nikon designed the camera so that only AF-S & AF-I lens will auto focus. The focus motor is built into the lens instead of the camera body in order to save weight. Whle other Nikon lenses will fit the auto focus won't operate. Talk with a camera sales person to determine your camera's application. Visit the website below; very thorough reviews.
Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography