Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:06 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,220,059 times

Advertisements

If you're contracted to photograph a wedding, would you send an email to one of the guests/family who was taking pictures that day with complaint about the number of pictures the guest took? (note: the guest wasn't hired, didn't undercut, or didn't interfer with hired's work).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 08:10 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,126,313 times
I was going to say yes if the person had interfered with the photographers work but since you say they did not then no I would not have done that and if the photographer did then he or she is unproffesional .

Old 06-08-2009, 09:16 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,180,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
If you're contracted to photograph a wedding, would you send an email to one of the guests/family who was taking pictures that day with complaint about the number of pictures the guest took? (note: the guest wasn't hired, didn't undercut, or didn't interfer with hired's work).

Guests have no limitations to number of pictures they can take, unless those are pictures that guest took were "posed" by a hired photographer. Even then, it should have been dealt with right there and then, but such things should be clearly stated on photographer's contract. Otherwise, complaint is mute and void.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:27 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,220,059 times
Thanks, the replies have been helpful.

Shepsmom, is there no limitation if during the 4 hour receiption?

phonelady61, if a family member set up shots, not the hired photog, is that interfering when guests are around with their cameras?

What if there is no contract?

Old 06-09-2009, 10:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,963,756 times
I've encountered a few wedding photographers at family events who seem to come in with an attitude that the wedding is staged for their benefit and they are the ones to orchestrate who does what. Most I'm sure are not like that, but I think the best are those that work around the event, and capture it, without interfering with it or the participants' enjoyment of the occasion..

Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks, the replies have been helpful.

Shepsmom, is there no limitation if during the 4 hour receiption?
Who puts limitations on guests? They do as they're please!!

Quote:
phonelady61, if a family member set up shots, not the hired photog, is that interfering when guests are around with their cameras?
I know the question is not for me, but this type of things must be discussed with B&G prior wedding. I would not allow such thing to happen, unless agreed upon signing a contract. If Bride wants shots from guests, then why hire a wedding photographer? Makes no sense.

Quote:
What if there is no contract?
Then there is nothing to complain about. Contract is a MUST, i wont do a wedding without one.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I've encountered a few wedding photographers at family events who seem to come in with an attitude that the wedding is staged for their benefit and they are the ones to orchestrate who does what. Most I'm sure are not like that, but I think the best are those that work around the event, and capture it, without interfering with it or the participants' enjoyment of the occasion..

Agree and disagree. I actually expect guests with cameras to be respectful of a wedding photographer to do his/her job, that's what he/she was hired for. So let photog do the job, otherwise, he/she will miss the shot, and B&G will complain later because shots they wanted weren't available due to guests interfering with the main photog.
I don't expect main photog to be rude and pushy in anyway, that is why all must be discussed in terms with B&G prior the wedding, in order to have a pleasant and smooth event. There must be one person appointed by B&G to whom you can complain if something goes wrong.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,771,846 times
As a former paid professional I'd have to say you are making one general mistake. You are NOT planning ahead. 1st you meet with the B&G's immediate family, which usually takes place at a formal pre wedding dinner in the first place. Establish that you want to meet with them prior to when guests arrive on the wedding day, and do a "Formal Set" of pictures. These will include ONLY the immediate family to the bride and groom and will be in set groups agreed upon by those parties.

This is just my opinion, but if you have your act together, you'll do those first, then leave the rest of your time to capturing the primary moments of the wedding procession and process. THEN at that point you should be loose and capture as much action and activity as possible around the entire wedding event. Too many photographers limit themselves to the wedding couple. Sure it is important to capture the primary moments of interest for their archives (cutting of the cake, special moments between the bride and dad, the dancing married couple and throwing of the flowers etc.) but the key is to mingle with the crowd.

The folks attending the wedding can be even MORE interesting as they move about and have their fun at this event. Believe it or not, the thing you WILL hear most in praise of this approach from the B&G after the fact is how wonderful it is to see all the things going on they did NOT get to see as they were so absorbed in the moment. It is a real kick for them to see all the activity of others as the reception unfolds. I'm NOT saying to ignore the wedding couple, of course you need to pay due attention to possible important moments but don't ignore the surrounding activity either.

If you do as I mentioned you'll find rather few errant wanna be point and shoot photographers in your way believe me. They can't keep up with you. Then save the latter part of the party for some special shots with the B&G outdoors when the sun is lowering and they are basking in the glow of their special moment. You can't contrive that....it just happens. But DO take them outdoors without others joining in.....THAT is private between YOU the photographer and the couple. Ideally they will forget you are there and that is when the magic begins. Good luck to ya. P.S. Stay away from ANY direct flash techniques and stick with diffused flash if used. It will make it in the end for you.....

Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,261,489 times
Quote:
Absolutely not. We've threatened to walk out of a couple weddings -- maybe 1% over the last decade -- when a guest kept snapping formal pictures we set up. First we point to the sign: "No photography during formal posing, etc, etc., blah, blah." If that doesn't work, I mention to the bride or groom that they'll have to stop it. And if that doesn't work, I make a short public speech that they've been asked twice to stop, and one more flash from them will see one of us gone.

Even though we have it in our contract and bring a sandwich board to weddings with the "no photos" explained, we're generally pretty lax about it unless we're running a little late or the guest photographers are getting to be a major pain. Or sometimes, and not infrequently, the bride and groom will ask *US* to stop the wannabee photographers.

At any rate, I can see no point in sending an email after the fact. Why would one do that?

Old 06-09-2009, 09:06 PM

275 posts, read 708,492 times
If they are invited by the wedding party/ bride/ groom/ family, you really have no place to complain about them. It is standard that family and friends are probably going to take their own photos. When we photograph a wedding, we are PAID to be there, therefore our photos are for an entirely different reason. Our photos are considered the professional ones, used for wall photos, CD's, etc...

As long as they aren't bothering me, I could care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography