Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 05:47 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,487,842 times

Advertisements

I have had my trusty Canon powershot SD600 for about 2 years now. It's a great camera, but now I'm thinking I want something more (although I probably don't use half the bells and whistles on this one). What I like about my camera is its size and ease of use.

I don't know camera jargon, in fact many of the posts I've read thus far are like a foreign language to me. So, would I be happy with a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 or would I be overwhelmed with the options and size?

I mostly photograph family but think that I want to get more into photographing nature and wildlife. But - I don't think I want to collect thousands of dollars worth of lenses (at least not until I was sure I was going to use them and knew how to use them). I tried out the rebel at Best Buy earlier and thought that the zoom was lacking in the lense that comes with the camera.

I don't really know what my question is, other than do you think coming from my compact point and shoot, that I'd like the SLR?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 06:48 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,216,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
I don't know camera jargon, in fact many of the posts I've read thus far are like a foreign language to me. So, would I be happy with a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 or would I be overwhelmed with the options and size?
Having had always used P&S's, making the step to the XSi was a big one for me. One thing I had to overcome is the willingness & patience for learning, as I still am. Practice has become my (new) middle name The manual is easy to read, and you can always ask questions in this forum. Having a camera of this size and quality might seem overwhelming at first, but it does get easier. Ya can't fit it in your pocket and go, but the trade off in good picture-taking is much greater the deal.

I enjoy taking family pictures, as well as nature. Here are a few examples of the def of field I get out of the Canon Rebel, both from my EF 70-300mm lens taken yesterday.

Though, I still use my 18-55mm lens just as much as the day I got the camera.

Myself personally, I love that I got my Canon XSi. HTH

Old 11-30-2008, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the post FedupWNY. I have been reading a lot of your posts and seeing how you are learning. Great photos!

Yikes, spending another $600+ for a zoom lens is a lot for me to consider.... I hope that I would be happy w/ the 18-55mm for a while! Also, I think I would have to keep the camera on "auto" for a while!! haha!

Old 11-30-2008, 07:10 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,216,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
Thanks for the post FedupWNY. I have been reading a lot of your posts and seeing how you are learning. Great photos!

Yikes, spending another $600+ for a zoom lens is a lot for me to consider.... I hope that I would be happy w/ the 18-55mm for a while! Also, I think I would have to keep the camera on "auto" for a while!! haha!
I actually found that zoom for about $200 less because it comes without the IS (image stabilizer).

Old 11-30-2008, 07:14 PM

oh wow, ok! that's not as bad!

Old 11-30-2008, 07:23 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,000 times
I think this looks very exciting

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/23/te...h/23pogue.html

Old 11-30-2008, 07:29 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,000 times
Another idea is the Cannon D series (I have a D6) which are very small, and take better than average photos, offering a lot of control - but aren't complicated at all. They allow pre programmed shots, (night, sports, fireworks, indoors, etc) but can be set for aperature priority, shutter priority and so on

...They also have a very good automatic (point and shoot) setting...

Old 11-30-2008, 08:16 PM

thanks for posting chaz! can you post a link to your camera? googling canon d or canon d6 isn't coming up w/ anything for me.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times
I don't think you'd have a problem with the Rebel being too large unless you expect to carry it in a purse or pocket. As SLRs go, it's pretty small, and you might find the size easier to manipulate than your point and shoot. I find larger bodies easier to use; they usually fit your hand better and have a better control layout. (I just recommended the same camera to my step-daughter yesterday.)

You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a reasonably good telephoto lens for wildlife shots. Since all Canon dSLRs will accept all Canon EF lenses ever made (since 1987), you can get a nice older 100-300mm for not much outlay. One sold on eBay just recently for $101.08 -- EF 100-300 f4.5-5.6 USM with UV filter. Years ago I owned another copy of that lens and found it quite capable of professional-quality images. You'd have a little gap from 55mm to 100mm, but professional photographers work with gaps like those all the time, and you can too. (I suspect the 100-300 USM sells for that low price because most buyers prefer the zoom range of the 75-300mm.)

Note: USM, or Ultra Sonic Motor, is the superior auto-focus motor for Canon's lenses. It's faster and quieter, which is nice with telephoto lenses.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,481,629 times
Hi there. I say that I'm new to photography even though I've been pointing & shooting for years. I got a Nikon D40 for my birthday in February and LOVE IT.

I think we paid around $500+ for it but I've seen some great deals on it now for Christmas. I'm very very happy with the D40 b/c it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles that I will never use BUT it is something which gives me versatility in photography (ok, I don't really understand all the features yet but it WILL give me more and more versatility as I learn how to operate the features!). For me anyway, it's the perfect camera. As I learn more, I might want to upgrade but for a long while to come, I know that I'll be happy with this one.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography