Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:20 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times

Advertisements

Didn't know if there were any local photographers who might wanna head out here tonight.

I think I'll go and practice with some 4-wheel subjects.

I'll post some photos later on if I get some good ones.

Anyone else local to this?

Oakboro Cruise-in & Burnout
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 08:49 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,774,906 times
How close is this to the Outer Banks? I'm headed that way....

Old 08-22-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post
How close is this to the Outer Banks? I'm headed that way....
It's a long ways from the OBX.

But I'd rather be at the OBX

This is probably 7-8 hours west of Manteo.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:02 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,774,906 times
I'm out then...oh well...would have been fun!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post
I'm out then...oh well...would have been fun!
Well I just got in from going.

It sucks being a rookie. I'd love to go to something like that with someone who could really teach me to 'see' some pictures.

I'll post some of them shortly and would like to encourage anyone who would like to edit and/or play with as they see fit.

I need some post-production ideas too.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:36 AM

Well, I pulled up my pictures and was thoroughly disappointed.

This hobby (for me) has a tough learning curve.

Anyway, here's a few pics for anyone to critique, offer advice, photoshop, edit, etc at will.

I was delayed and didn't get to the Cruise-In until almost 8:30, so I didn't get to appreciate any natural light.

Here's the pics:

OK, give me the good, the bad and the ugly!

Thanks ya'll!

Old 08-23-2008, 04:26 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,318 times
Alpha8207,

I am not so sure why you are disappointed with these shots... but photography is art and thus subjective (one mans trash is another mans treasure). I have recently learned some level adjustment tricks in Photo Shop that I have been experimenting with. By tweaking the different color levels I seem to get a somewhat 'brighter' image. Again, it is all subjective, but here is a small tweak I made to your bug pic. I probably over-did it, but what do you think?

Old 08-23-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Alpha8207,

I am not so sure why you are disappointed with these shots... but photography is art and thus subjective (one mans trash is another mans treasure). I have recently learned some level adjustment tricks in Photo Shop that I have been experimenting with. By tweaking the different color levels I seem to get a somewhat 'brighter' image. Again, it is all subjective, but here is a small tweak I made to your bug pic. I probably over-did it, but what do you think?
I like it but personally I like the richer feel to the color in the original (but that's just a personal preference).

As far as being disappointed, I still struggle with composition and seeing 'pictures within pictures'. Also, the only flash I have is the built in so I went with no flash on all pics.

How might a 'hot shoe' flash have changed my experience last night?

One good thing is they put this thing on the forth Friday of every month so I'll have another opportunity soon. (Although I might be in Hershey, Pennsylvania in September.)

Here's both pics together so I can really compare the two, BullDawgFan.

All of the pics that I have posted are untouched for the most part. I shot in Raw+JPEG. Wonder if I could upload a RAW file somewhere for you guys to play with?

Here's the pics:

Old 08-23-2008, 05:54 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,318 times
Alpha,

If you are looking for a more "rich" feel, I think I would go with no flash and play with white balance and fill light in RAW adjustments. As you might tell, I am not so much of a purist... I know my pics will need some adjustments! I am not afraid of taking some very under exposed pictures (no flash when required) and tweaking them. But that is just me, and I am just learning.
Like I said earlier, in my opinion, there was no reason to be disappointed with the originals.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:35 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,173,959 times
I would get rid of the power lines on 1, 5, 7 and the last one. Other then that, i think you did quiet well with limited lighting available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography