Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 01:59 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,894 times

Advertisements

I have several point-n-shoot digital cameras, and I have enjoyed them, but I want to take my photographs to the next level. I am wanting to move up to a DSLR. Is it possible for someone who has had no experience with SLR's to teach themselves to use one without having to take classes, or are they just too complicated? Are there certain DSLR's that would be better for a beginner? I am looking at a Canon EOS XSi, which states that it is easy for the DSLR beginner. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 03:41 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
A lot of professional photographers are self taught and many hobbiests are as well so it's entirely possible. Just know it does take time and effort, don't expect to just instantly understand everything. If you're confused about something, feel free to ask on a forum, here or a dedicated photo forum. And remember that learning to use the camera features is only half the battle - a lot of it is also understanding lighting, composition, etc.

In my opinion, there's no DSLR that's easier to learn to use than any other. But entry level DSLRs like Canon's Digital Rebel line (such as the XSi) are more suitable for beginners because they are priced lower and more professional DSLRs may have a lot of features a beginner may not necessarily need or would take a long time to grow into. But they are no more difficult to use.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:00 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
A lot of professional photographers are self taught and many hobbiests are as well so it's entirely possible. Just know it does take time and effort, don't expect to just instantly understand everything. If you're confused about something, feel free to ask on a forum, here or a dedicated photo forum. And remember that learning to use the camera features is only half the battle - a lot of it is also understanding lighting, composition, etc.

In my opinion, there's no DSLR that's easier to learn to use than any other. But entry level DSLRs like Canon's Digital Rebel line (such as the XSi) are more suitable for beginners because they are priced lower and more professional DSLRs may have a lot of features a beginner may not necessarily need or would take a long time to grow into. But they are no more difficult to use.
Well stated, and reps for you.

I would also like to point out a very good website for learning photography basics. Beginner's Guide to Photography - Photonhead.com
Be sure to read the entire section on Photographic Concepts

Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
I have an Xti and it's my first DSLR and I love it. I did get a DVD and a book to learn the camera that I got thru Amazon.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:13 PM

78 posts, read 225,624 times
I agree with PA2UK. There is no DSLR that is easier than another. The entry level models, the Canon you mentioned or the Nikon, let's say D40 or D60 (which they may have replaced by now with the D5000) has less features and a lesser build quality than the next level up. Sure most of the DSLRs that are entry level or slightly above have nice little pictures on the dial that correspond to the scene you are shooting. That helps and will carry over from your point and shoot experience.

You have to buy within your buget...or slightly higher. I too just purchased my first DSLR. I purchased a Nikon D90 2 months ago. Reviews were great, but most of all it just felt good in my hands. It is well built and I made a great decision for me. I always suggest that if you like the a basic model of something, make sure you check out the next few levels up to see the difference in quality, build and what extra features you may want down the road. Sometimes it is worth the extra money.

The best way to learn IS TO GO OUT AND SHOOT. The beauty of digital is you can play and play and compare results. I took photography classes in college. I learn more now with a few hours on the internet and with just shooting, then I ever did in a class. Just my opinion.

To follow up on kdog, I also go to Digital Photography School's website. They have weekly posts and other post production information that is helpful. Most of the posts are from pros and regular folks that use different techniques. Every Thursday, they send out an e-mail with new articles or hints for the week. In addition, you can search the website for other information that you may be looking for. It is worth checking out. The site is Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School.

Good luck. Let us know what you purchase. And remember, it is the photographer behind the camera that takes the great pictures, not the camera. Enjoy and go out and shoot.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:44 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
I got a Nikon d80 several months ago, and also a Flickr account. On Flickr, most cameras have a user group where they will post pictures, and you can ask other people, with the same camera, any question you may have. I learned a lot from that, but mostly go out and fool around with it.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:25 PM

Thanks to all of you for your comments! I do want to start out with a cheaper DSLR and work my way up. I see Nikon mentioned a lot...would you say they are better than the Canon? Are there particular features I should look for in the camera I buy? I also wonder the difference in lens cost between the two brands? I have never had to deal with lens with my point and shoot cameras, and I have been told they are expensive, and that some brands are worse than others on cost.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:49 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,173,290 times
I am self taught, but my dad was into photography, so i learned few things from him. My first camera was film, of course! I bought my first digital in 04, which was Sony, then i upgraded to Nikon D80, and D300. I'm looking to replace D80 with D3, and keep D300 as a back up. I would like to have a full frame camera.
Soooo, you can learn on your own, join a local club, take tutorials online, read all you can, and most of all, keep shooting, play with different settings etc.. You'll pick it up fast enough.

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:15 PM

79 posts, read 231,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
Thanks to all of you for your comments! I do want to start out with a cheaper DSLR and work my way up. I see Nikon mentioned a lot...would you say they are better than the Canon?
It's a matter of preference, not quite the same but along the lines of do you prefer Chevy, GMC, Ford, Toyota, etc. I opted with Nikon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM
Are there particular features I should look for in the camera I buy?

My biggest interest was comfort and ergonomics. When I bought my first dSLR in 2004 (a Nikon D70) I was looking for something that could:
  1. take Compact Flash cards from the stash I had from owning a nikon Coolpix 4500
  2. felt comfortable holding it
  3. buttons & dials felt to be in easy to reach finger placement for quickly adjusting settings
Nikon's D70 did that for me. The Canon D-rebel at that time just didn't do it for me. Reputation was also a factor; I knew that the Nikon Coolpix 800/900/4500 series rendered pretty accurate coloration and overall image quality compared to my weak Kodak DC215. I also knew that Nikon was a leader in photography, both body and lens wise. All I knew of Canon was it made good printers and copiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM
I also wonder the difference in lens cost between the two brands? I have never had to deal with lens with my point and shoot cameras, and I have been told they are expensive, and that some brands are worse than others on cost.
Glass (lenses) period are going to be the most costly aspect of jumping from point-n-shoot. They are also more of an investment. Camera bodies are actually the "cheap" expense, unless you're a tech nut and have to have the newest, but not necessarily the greatest upgrades. My time with the D70 saw the coming of the D70s, D80, D100, D200, D300 and almost the D90. I went with the D300 by the time I was ready to upgrade body. Sadly though I don't have much in the way of nice glass, but that was more of a factor of [lack of] play money to spend.

That said, Nikon recently increased the price of their products. The purpose to do such was to reflect that the US Dollar was weaker compared to the Euro. The price jump is more reflective of the exchange rate between the Euro to Dollars, or so I've read.

I highly recommend you go spend some time reading the forums over at Digital Photography Review.com (www.dpreview.com). There's tons of information there and tons of posts along the line of what you've asked here.

Some other sites you might look up are: (some are Nikon oriented)
Thom Hogan's www.bythom.com site
The Strobist (Strobist)
Ignore Ken Rockwell, for the most part.
Lens Rentals.com (LensRentals.com - Rent Canon, Nikon, Olympus, or Sony Lenses and Cameras)
LensPro ToGo (LensProToGo.com - Canon and Nikon Lens Rental nationwide!)
RawWorkflow.com, home to WhiBal (Digital Photography - RawWorkflow.com - WhiBal Certified Gray Card for White Balance (http://www.rawworkflow.com/whibal/ - broken link))

and I'm sure there are tons of others I'm spacing out on.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks ShepsMom!

HerpsofNM- Thank you for all your advice! I haven't checked out your links yet, but I know they will be helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography