Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 AM

392 posts, read 1,095,937 times

Advertisements

I do sculpture work and take most of my own photos of my work. I never seem to get the lighting and backing just right. Are there any highly reputable websites that offer editing services? I want to make my sculpture photos "pop" a little more.

I tried one out the other day. You upload the photo and they bill you. It's been 48 hours and they have not gotten to my photo yet. One would think you could get same day service via the web?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 09:00 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
I am not specifically aware of any such sites, I am sure they exist.

The majority of people I knowing doing photography enhance their own images. I do not do professional work. Sometimes I use the free Picasa to batch images or if I want more control I use Paint Shop Pro.

I would first consider starting with a good photo to begin with. It could be your camera, your technique etc but most photos can be enhanced to a degree.

But I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

There might be people on this site which would take a shot of trying to "enhance" a sample of your photo.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-29-2015 at 01:15 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 09:13 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
I agree with the above - I don't know of any service that will edit your photos for you and even if they exist, no amount of editing will make up for poor lighting. You can't create lighting with editing.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:24 AM

8,216 posts, read 16,705,829 times
Well,

When you say you want to make them pop a little more it sounds like you have three options.

1. Pay someone to do this which you are exploring.
2. Learn some necessary photoshop and lighting techniques yourself.
3. Post the unedited image to a photo forum for review and ask for ppl to take their best stab at it. Then pick the one you like most. Usually the person offering their input will share their technique. Or you could then offer to pay then for their help to edit the original. I have seen this done on several of the photo forums such as FredMiranda.

I know many professional, highly artistic photographers who are experts in photoshop would probably be willing to do number 1. I would much rather use them than some online service which is more impersonal. Also with an individual he may be able to make a few sugestions regarding natural and artificial lighting to best compliment the sculpture. As others have mentioned light is the key to a good photograph. This holds true with portraits, landscapes, commercial studio work and any form of photography really.

A friend of mine, Nat Coalson, teaches photoshop techniques and is also a professional photographer. You may want to look him up - Nat Coalson.

Lastly you could post a smaller version of the original here and it would help others who know photoshop, portraiture and other forms of photography to make some constructive suggestions.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-01-2009 at 09:40 AM..

Old 12-01-2009, 09:27 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,528 times
The closest "online" service I know of would be photoshop.com. It works just like Photoshop Elements, but is run through your web browser. You are the person who does the editing, however, not a third party. If you want more information on this, check out the FAQ (http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publishing/514/cpsid_51492.html - broken link).

That said, I agree with Rich that it would be better to start with looking at the camera you are using and the settings for that camera and for the lighting around the subject. If you have a few clip lights that use incandescent bulbs, some soft-whites and hi-intensities may help with the lighting you are looking for whileyou keep the flash on the camera turned off.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:39 AM

8,216 posts, read 16,705,829 times
Oh,

I forgot to mention FredMiranda has a forum which specializes in this sort of thing - Lighting and Studio techniques. That would be a great place to post an example of what you are talking about and trying to accomplish for constructive input.

Derek

Old 12-01-2009, 10:14 AM

392 posts, read 1,095,937 times
Wow, was doing some searches online and came across "extreme photo editing" on youtube. should this even be legal, lol? Amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3U2u1IC78U&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZwswbaaDWI&NR=1

Old 12-01-2009, 04:04 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,528 times
Yup. That is what you can do with PS up to a point. Regarding image manipulation, however, I would say this one has a much farther range of impact.

Tim Lynch via diet.com on Photoshoping Images
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography