Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:19 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I think I have outgrown my bridge camera, and while I am not looking to upgrade immediately, I have started to do my research and am leaning toward a Canon Rebel Xsi body for about $500. I don't need video so I'm not considering that feature as important. However, Canon has already released the Xti, and what has put it under consideration is the slightly larger sensor. I've had quite a bit of challenge taking photos of my daughter's concerts and performances this year so I would really like a camera that will come through for me in low light sitations. Is there a downside to buying "last year's" camera? I've compared the reviews of the Xsi against the Xti, Nikon D5000 and the Olympus E-620 and found the reviews best for the Xsi for its price. I am planning to spend on lenses separately and on the suggestion of a respected forum member, they would be a 17-85mm and a 70-300 mm, both IS and USM. Seems Canon discontinued the 40D and I don't know why.
Just a correction, the XSi is a newer camera body than the XTi. You might be thinking about the T1i, which replaced the XTi. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Rebel series ran like this: Digital Rebel, XT, XTi, XSi, and now T1i.

Your right in investing more on the lenses than bodies. Camera bodies are generally replaced every 18-24 months or so, but lenses can last many years. For the body, I would suggest investing in a good body that meets your needs, and not worry too much about new features that you might not use (i.e. video). I don't know too much about Canon gear, so can't comment on which body is good, but you may want to consider a used 40D body as well. The 50D did not have good reviews and from what I read was a minor improvement over the 40D - but the 40D itself is a good camera. The 50D has been replaced with the 7D.

For lenses, I would stay away from the 17-85mm. Even with IS, the lens is pretty slow if you plan on shooting in low-light situations or indoors. Also, the reviews on the web on that lens has been poor, as many people have complained about it's sharpness and image quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 12:23 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Just a correction, the XSi is a newer camera body than the XTi. You might be thinking about the T1i, which replaced the XTi. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Rebel series ran like this: Digital Rebel, XT, XTi, XSi, and now T1i.

Your right in investing more on the lenses than bodies. Camera bodies are generally replaced every 18-24 months or so, but lenses can last many years. For the body, I would suggest investing in a good body that meets your needs, and not worry too much about new features that you might not use (i.e. video). I don't know too much about Canon gear, so can't comment on which body is good, but you may want to consider a used 40D body as well. The 50D did not have good reviews and from what I read was a minor improvement over the 40D - but the 40D itself is a good camera. The 50D has been replaced with the 7D.

For lenses, I would stay away from the 17-85mm. Even with IS, the lens is pretty slow if you plan on shooting in low-light situations or indoors. Also, the reviews on the web on that lens has been poor, as many people have complained about it's sharpness and image quality.
I think you're right...yes it is a choice b/w the Xsi and the T1i, a difference in sensor size and video feature with the latter. Someone had recommended the 17-85mm to me. What would be a better wide angle zoom in your opinion? Also, should I be purchasing the warranties with both the camera and lenses?

Old 12-15-2009, 01:09 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Someone had recommended the 17-85mm to me. What would be a better wide angle zoom in your opinion?
If that someone refers to me, what I said to you was that I recommended it for a lens in the $300 to $400 range. I stand behind that statement. True, it's not "fast glass", but you will not find a fast zoom for that price. Perhaps the impression that user reviews of the lens are not favorable is that since this is often used as a kit lens, most users of the lens are novices and don't know what they're doing. In capable hands, it gives very good results. If you read professional reviews of this lens, you will get a better idea of it than "stuff you read on the internet". See here: Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

I also said that if you want spend $700, then look at the upgraded version which is the new EF-S 15-85. And IDEALLY if you can swing $1,100, the EF-S 17-55 F2.8, would be stellar and the one to get. Perhaps my response to your private message wasn't clear, so this should set the record straight.

Last edited by kdog; 12-15-2009 at 01:46 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
If that someone refers to me, what I said to you was that I recommended it for a lens in the $300 to $400 range. I stand behind that statement. True, it's not "fast glass", but you will not find a fast zoom for that price. Perhaps the impression that user reviews of the lens are not favorable is that since this is often used as a kit lens, most users of the lens are novices and don't know what they're doing. In capable hands, it gives very good results. If you read professional reviews of this lens, you will get a better idea of it than "stuff you read on the internet". See here: Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

I also said that if you want spend $700, then look at the upgraded version which is the new EF-S 15-85. And IDEALLY if you can swing $1,100, the EF-S 17-55 F2.8, would be stellar and the one to get. Perhaps my response to your private message wasn't clear, so this should set the record straight.
No, I didn't misunderstand you. Perhaps it was my mistake for not including in the prior post that I really don't want to spend more than $500 for the lens. Your suggestion is well taken; IIRC, I think my original thought was to get a 50mm prime, but that would leave me without a wide angle to complement the telephoto.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:23 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
No, I didn't misunderstand you. Perhaps it was my mistake for not including in the prior post that I really don't want to spend more than $500 for the lens. Your suggestion is well taken; IIRC, I think my original thought was to get a 50mm prime, but that would leave me without a wide angle to complement the telephoto.
Yep, that was my recollection as well, which is what lead to the suggestion of the 17-85.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
I think I have outgrown my bridge camera, and while I am not looking to upgrade immediately, I have started to do my research and am leaning toward a Canon Rebel Xsi body for about $500. I don't need video so I'm not considering that feature as important. However, Canon has already released the Xti, and what has put it under consideration is the slightly larger sensor. I've had quite a bit of challenge taking photos of my daughter's concerts and performances this year so I would really like a camera that will come through for me in low light sitations. Is there a downside to buying "last year's" camera? I've compared the reviews of the Xsi against the Xti, Nikon D5000 and the Olympus E-620 and found the reviews best for the Xsi for its price. I am planning to spend on lenses separately and on the suggestion of a respected forum member, they would be a 17-85mm and a 70-300 mm, both IS and USM. Seems Canon discontinued the 40D and I don't know why.
My husband just gave me the Canon Xsi (EOS 450D) for my birthday!

It's wonderful. Very easy to use and figure out and lots of fun. My pictures look great.

Before you buy this camera - check CostCo! My husband found a really great deal there. Large bag, camera body, two nice lenses, strap, software, some extra software, 4G memory card, and a few other accessories (cables, guides, battery packs and wall charger) all for around $600.

I could have gone either way with the Nikon or the Canon. They are both great camera's. I'm really happy with this Canon Xsi, though. My husband said he went with the Canon over the Nikon simply because the Canon offered more megapixels than the Nikon but at the same cost... (but they do say it's more the skill of the photographer rather than how many megapixels the camera has that truly makes the difference! )

I should say, too - in case you hadn't already figured it out - that I'm a total newbie to the whole photography thing. I had been using a point-and-shoot panasonic lumix (DMC) for years and years. Everyone always told me that they loved my pictures and that I had an "eye" for taking pictures... and so this is what finally prompted my husband to buy the Xsi for me, so I can learn more and go further with this hobby.

All this technical talk you wonderful peeps have been going on about in previous posts has my head spinning. Huh? I put the lens I want to play with on, twist the little thingies, play with lighting, take my time, and shoot. All I know is that my photos look 100 times better with this Canon Xsi than they have been looking with the Lumix, and they actually looked pretty good before! I'm so NOT a technical person. I just like to play!

Don't worry - I plan to take some photography classes soon...

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 12-17-2009 at 11:44 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 12:17 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
If and when I purchase a real DLSR it would be either Canon 7D.. $1650+ for body.. Canon Rebel T1i body $600+... depends on cost at that time... Currently using a Canon Sx10is... great camera.. "BUT" has it's limits..

Old 12-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
If and when I purchase a real DLSR it would be either Canon 7D.. $1650+ for body.. Canon Rebel T1i body $600+... depends on cost at that time... Currently using a Canon Sx10is... great camera.. "BUT" has it's limits..
Been rethinking the T1i over the Xsi but that depends on the available funds. Do you folks buy any of the extended warranties, both on the body and/or the lenses.

Haggard, I have a Panasonic FZ50 (a Lumix camera) and am pretty satisfied with the quality of the photos. Except, like Tinman says, after a while, you want to do things and a POS, even an advanced one, just won't cut it. Glad you're enjoying your toy tremendously. Post some photos.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:22 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Quote:
Been rethinking the T1i over the Xsi but that depends on the available funds. Do you folks buy any of the extended warranties, both on the body and/or the lenses.

Haggard, I have a Panasonic FZ50 (a Lumix camera) and am pretty satisfied with the quality of the photos. Except, like Tinman says, after a while, you want to do things and a POS, even an advanced one, just won't cut it. Glad you're enjoying your toy tremendously. Post some photos.
Definitely the Canon EOS 500d aka T1i... some great deals out their.. wait till all most midnight on the 24th... and keep looking till around 2am on the 25th.. that's how I got my SX10... over $100 off plus free shipping.. Just get only the body...

Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I'd buy the camera that has the features you want. If an older model has everything you need, you can save money by going that route. If money is not a huge factor, I'd probably go with the current model.
I agree with you. However i would advise the OP to look at both the XSi and the XTi, and go for the one that suits his needs best, and buy some of the best glass he can afford, hopefully "L" glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography