Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,647 times

Advertisements

Hi all:
I have thousands of pictures in my computer. i know I need to have a backup just in case. What's the best way to store them? CD or DVD? What's the difference between R and RW?
I am so confused! Help!
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,836,270 times
I do not like CD's or DVD's. Lot of opinions on what you asked. You might read this thread:

Storage of Images

Old 01-13-2010, 01:21 PM

61,916 posts, read 87,450,383 times
The difference: There’s DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, and even DVD-ROM!

Let’s first start with the most obvious difference: some have R and some have RW. The “R” stands for recordable, while the “W” stands for rewriteable.

The main difference between DVD-R and DVD-RW, or DVD+R and DVD+RW is that the R disc formats can only be written to once, and then it is only readable and can’t be erased for the rest of its digital life. While RW discs are can be written to and erased many times, they are both readable and writeable.

“R” discs are perfect if they are only needed to be written to once, such as giving some files to a friend or transferring them between PCs. “RW” discs have their strength in the ability to be used many times over, which is great for routine system backups, etc. And naturally, the RW discs are slightly more expensive than the R discs, but you’ll have to decide if the trade offs are worth the money.

Now, onto the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R. As I just described above, DVD-R & DVD-RW are sister discs, the difference being one is writeable once, while the other is writeable multiple times. The same thing is true for DVD+R & DVD+RW.

But what’s the difference between the plus and minus?
On “minus“ discs (-R, -RW) can only be written to in one layer on the discs surface.

(+R, +RW): These discs can be written to in multiple layers, giving them slightly better and more disc storage than the “minus“ format. Because of this additional capacity, they are slightly more expensive than “minus“ discs.

The last clarification: the difference between DVD-ROM and DVD+RW, or the other DVD formats I mentioned above. The DVD-ROM drive can only read DVDs, while the other DVD drives can read and write data to DVDs.

All above apply to CD's.

What is the difference between DVD and CD?
The capacity.
DVD is a high capacity multimedia data storage medium. It can accommodate a complete movie on a single disc, content rich multimedia or very high quality multi-channel audio.
DVD disks can hold many times the data that a CD can.
CDs can hold around 650 megabytes (MB). DVDs can hold 4.7 gigabytes (GB) or about 4,700 MB.

Hope it helps

As of storage of your data, please read other users opinion.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:50 PM

647 posts, read 1,665,700 times
I back mine up to a 1TB external harddrive.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM

492 posts, read 1,399,165 times
Picasa through Google will store 20 gig online for $5.00 a year. The good about it is you can see all your pictures no matter what computer or where you are. Also you can have albums that all can see on your site, so your pictures are always available. See our "public' ones at Picasa Web Albums - Larry & Kathi

Old 01-13-2010, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,647 times
Thanks everyone! Looks like external HD is the better solution.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:47 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,151,705 times
Why mess around with optical discs or external drives? You can never have too many backups, and those are good for keeping a local copy, but what if (God forbid) your house burns down? Was your external hard drive in there? Probably sitting right next to the PC...

I use an online backup service: Carbonite. I think they're at $55/year for unlimited storage. Install-and-forget. Best of all, it's an off-site backup solution, so you don't have to worry about disasters robbing you of your important files.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:06 PM

1,811 posts, read 3,196,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why mess around with optical discs or external drives? You can never have too many backups, and those are good for keeping a local copy, but what if (God forbid) your house burns down? Was your external hard drive in there? Probably sitting right next to the PC...

I use an online backup service: Carbonite. I think they're at $55/year for unlimited storage. Install-and-forget. Best of all, it's an off-site backup solution, so you don't have to worry about disasters robbing you of your important files.

Keeping your only backup with an online third party is just as foolish as keeping all your backups in your house.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,131,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why mess around with optical discs or external drives? You can never have too many backups, and those are good for keeping a local copy, but what if (God forbid) your house burns down?
You're best bet is to have backup for the backup, for example I take my mini-DV tape and transfer to external drive so I have easy access from the coputer to the footage. The tapes go to a relatives house. You can do the same thing with pictures if you have two external drives or use DVD for a second backup. Note you shouldn't use DVD for THE backup as reliability is questionable.

As far as the online backups the shear volume for some people is not going to make them feasible. 1 hour of mini-DV footage is about 14 GB's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography