Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 12:09 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times

Advertisements

I took a trip over to Vancouver Island and caught some rays. I don't know if it's bad for the camera to take pictures of the sun but I did it anyway.

Sun on the water and halos around the sun. The sky was a wild shade of blue with bright sunlight shining through streaks of ice crystals in the atmosphere above the ocean and creating the halos.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 01:17 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
We had that yesterday...

Old 05-28-2010, 06:17 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,528 times
Other than potentially hurting your eyes, taking photos of the sun won't harm a digital camera.

I had heard of the halo effect that occurs when ice crystals are in the air, but I haven't been able to capture a shot... yet. Thank you for giving us a view of what they look like!

Old 05-28-2010, 06:27 AM

106,700 posts, read 108,880,922 times
I havent heard of anyone damaging a sensor but i can understand if the focused heat off the mirror or thru the lens causes a heat sensitive part to fail....

look at what we used to do with a magnifying glass letting the sun pass thru a glass lens.....

i think chances are slim a fraction of a second will do anything but i just prefer not to do it

Old 05-29-2010, 04:05 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Warptman, that is a very cool shot! And such a contrast to mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
Other than potentially hurting your eyes, taking photos of the sun won't harm a digital camera.

I had heard of the halo effect that occurs when ice crystals are in the air, but I haven't been able to capture a shot... yet. Thank you for giving us a view of what they look like!
RUNYYfan, look for them if you are ever near very large bodies of water when there's a bit of a streaky, milky haze in the sky high above any clouds. That haze is the ice crystals. They are a common phenomenon here on the west coast even on hot summer days but most especially in spring and autumn. Sun-dogs on either side of the sun are another common sight in the late afternoon just before sunset.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography