Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 PM

11 posts, read 28,732 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm currently in Akron Ohio, and my family and I will be moving to the Pittsburgh area later this year. I've never been to Pennsylvania let alone Pittsburgh, so I'm clueless. I'm pretty excited about the move, because I've heard good things about the area.

That being said...can you all point me in the right direction? We will be looking for a place to rent for a couple of years until we are ready to buy. Here's my "criteria:"

We are a young family of four...husband and I just finished school and we have young children (not school age yet...but close). We have some pretty hefty student loans, so for a while we want something pretty affordable.

Neighborhood:
• Family friendly, safe, and good school district. I don't care where it's at (city or suburb) as long as it meets those three criteria.
• Not too far from shopping, libraries and restaurants. I don't want to have to drive more than 10 or 15 minutes.
• Preferences but not requirements: near park, accessible to public transportation, commute time of about 15-20min (into downtown)

Budget:
We are open to any type of rental, but would prefer a home or townhome.
We need a 3 or 4 bdrm (minimum 3) for $700-$900/mo. I have no idea if that is realistic, because I don't know what rents are in the area...but I sure hope so. We could afford more, but I want to make a dent in our student loans, so the cheaper the better.

I would like to know the good & the bad neighborhoods. What makes them good/What makes them bad.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:24 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
In the City, you might check out Greenfield. It happens to be part of a good feeder-school system, is safe, close to some big parks, close to Downtown, close to shopping and other amenities, has public transit, and so on. For all those reasons it is popular with young families on a budget, but you might be able to find something suitable in your price range.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:37 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
If you're only in Akron you should def take a drive down here if you have a car to check out the area and what neighborhoods are being mentioned. I really find it hard to believe you've never ventured to our state being so close to it. I have gone to Cleveland/Canton-Akron back in one day with daylight to spare when I got back several times.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:18 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
If you choose to live in the city personal income tax is 3%. In the suburbs it is typically 1%.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:50 AM

11 posts, read 28,732 times
We will definitely take a drive...probably a few. I believe it's only about a 2hr drive away??? I'm still waiting for more input on neighborhoods. So far I have Greenfield. I will check that out.

We've only lived in Ohio for a year (moved here from the West) and never had a reason to venture to Pittsburgh. When you are a young family with both parents in college there isn't time or money for much driving/exploring/travel. Believe me...I've found there to be plenty of people here who have never even left their county...it's crazy!

Well, I hope to get more input!

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:38 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondwahine View Post
We will definitely take a drive...probably a few. I believe it's only about a 2hr drive away??? I'm still waiting for more input on neighborhoods. So far I have Greenfield. I will check that out.

We've only lived in Ohio for a year (moved here from the West) and never had a reason to venture to Pittsburgh. When you are a young family with both parents in college there isn't time or money for much driving/exploring/travel. Believe me...I've found there to be plenty of people here who have never even left their county...it's crazy!

Well, I hope to get more input!

Thanks!
Oh that's understandable. For some reason I just assumed you have lived in Akron for many years so that's why I was surprised that you have never been to PA. It would be a two hour drive and I can't believe some people have that mentality of never leaving their county in the 21st century. Other decent walkable areas in the city/inner burbs include Oakmont, Aspinwall, Mt. Lebo, Dormont, Belleuve, and Brookline.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
Greenfield is a good choice. Also look into Morningside, which is another East End neighborhood. Nice family area with affordable housing. It's mosty houses and not apartments. Close to the big East End parks, public transport and within 15 minutes from downtown.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:30 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Just an FYI, but the reason your choices are a bit limited is the combination of relatively inexpensive rentals, good public schools, and 15-20 minutes to Downtown. It is doable, and do I wouldn't discourage you from looking for that combination, but hypothetically, if you were just looking for any two of those things it would result in a lot more choices.

By the way, another possibility is Edgewood. You'll hear a lot of bad things about the Woodland Hills school district, but Edgewood Primary specifically isn't too bad. Edgewood has some nice parts, and the parts near or in Regent Square are particularly convenient for both walkable amenities and an express bus to Downtown (we live in Regent Square, now the Wilkinsburg part but used to be the Edgewood part, and we take the express bus Downtown for our commutes).

Old 06-16-2010, 09:22 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,256 times
If you have never been to Pittsburgh, then do you even have jobs? I would highly recommend not moving here with a family unless you have secured employment.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:13 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,782 times
Moon Township isn't a city neighborhood by any standards, but it is close to shopping, restaurants, libraries, good schools, ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: