Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:29 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

What bothers me is the frequent double-standard. For example, a straight man won't think twice about doing something like mentioning his "beautiful wife". But if a gay man mentions his "beautiful boyfriend", odds are some people will accuse him of being "flamboyant".

Old 06-24-2010, 10:23 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,867 times
*Mod edit*

I always get a kick out of the "America is doomed" people. But seriously, I will never understand people like this. As a straight dude in Pittsburgh, I hope you never encounter any douchebags like this! Enjoy the burgh and congrats!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-24-2010 at 07:42 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Mr Know it All tried to put me down for mentioning my wife in my last post, but I rarely mention her in any of my posts.
I wasn't "putting you down". My point was that straight people make casual references to their spouses, boyfriends, girlfriends, dating, and so forth all the time, and people see it as normal--because it is normal. But if a gay person does the same thing, suddenly some people will be calling them "flamboyant".

So it is a double standard. But I'm not saying straight people should never talk about these things. I'm saying we should see it as normal when gay people talk about these things too. Because it is.

Edit: By the way, I just did a forum search for posts in which you reference your wife. You might be surprised at the quantity, judging from your claim above. But again, this is totally natural.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
Yes, unfortunately, still a lot of uneducated people out there. Not even worth the effort to argue with him, since he's pretty far gone.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
So here you have it, ScranBarre -- the last several posts are a cross-section of "progressive" Pittsburgh. And not an inaccurate one either despite the inevitable protestations from those who live their lives in the progressive bubble of an otherwise sociopolitically apathetic town. Stay in the same bubble and you'll have no worries. Venture out of it and you may find the joys of pluralism testing your comfort zone.

My guess is you'd still be better off than where you are now.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:46 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They already met....
Really? I thought he said they'd only been talking on the phone for a couple of weeks. Yes, I realize that it makes no sense to plan on moving to a city for a partner who you've never met, but that's our Scranny!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:49 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Stay in the nicer/hip neighborhoods of the city and the nicer suburbs and you will have no problems. In some depressed town full of hicks and yinzer dinosaurs...you are probably going to hear an earful about being homo-inclined.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:56 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Many deleted posts later, I'd like to ask everyone to calm down and remain respectful.
Yac.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 PM

419 posts, read 448,405 times
OP, I nicely congratulated you on your move to Pittsburgh in this thread. I said that I noticed you have been wanting to move to our nice city for a while now, and am happy that you have finally made it. I said that Pittsburgh is a pretty mellow city, and you will have no problem here. People in the Burgh are pretty apethetic. They are not in your face, nor overly expressive. I finally said just stay out of the dive bars in the few rundown steel towns outside the city and you will be fine.

Somehow, that post was offensive or something. It got deleted, because it wasn't conforming to the stupid attacks,arguing, and personal bickering that was kept in the thread. I felt I would state it again, and maybe this post will not be deleted.

I really try not to insult or attack others on internet forums. I realize that it is a weak thing to do. I myself have been attacked in the most absurd manners on this forum through stupid stereotypes. People try to ignorantly define others without knowing anything about them. Such as I am some lazy liberal hippy feeding off welfare and does nothing because of my religious and political views. Which is pretty insulting to a person who works 8 hours a day starting at 6 am to pay his taxes, then runs 10 miles, works out, and takes karate.

I don't understand how I sometimes get infractions for making a little harmless cussy cuss, or I have my post delted that I see absolutley nothing wrong with. I find it weird and disturbing not just about this forum, but all internet forums.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:34 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
In a couple of years if all goes well I'll put in for a transfer with my employer, buy a rowhome in the city in Lawrenceville or Mexican War Streets, and live life to its fullest!
Be sure you like hills if you plan to walk anywhere in Lawrenceville. It's a huge neighborhood built up one side of a hill, with one main drag at the top of the hill and the other at the bottom. It is not at all like living in Dupont Circle, where everything is nice and convenient and on essentially flat land.

Quote:
True. Kalorama, Georgetown, Tenleytown, Cleveland Park, Capitol Hill, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Foggy Bottom, Logan Circle, and Petworth are just a few of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. Even parts of long-troubled NE and SE DC show signs of hope as gentrification pushes more of the violent riff raff into Prince George's County, MD. The problem? If you're not a six-figure-earner, you can't enjoy anything about DC.
I left DC at just the wrong moment. My $42,000 co-op sold to the next person for $58,000, and made its way up to $375,000, I was told, and has settled somewhere in the low $200s. Nobody wanted to buy co-op apartments in DC before 2000, and ten years later, I can't afford my old life (not that I'd want to live in DC again).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh